No announcement yet.

1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, a lot has happened in the past few weeks. I've had the time off from work practicing early retirement! HA!

We again fitted the front fenders, this time with the "new" running boards. We found some gaps between the fenders and body. Probably normal and covered up by the welting, but a friend of mine "encouraged" me to take the time and fit them. I bolted everything up, made a cut and started welding. I still need to finish it, but in the end I'm glad I did it.

I'm really liking the look so far...the running boards made a big difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	1226421

Even Harley approves....

Name:	
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1226422

It looks worse than the picture shows...

Name:	
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1226423

Passenger side...

Name:	
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1226424

Name:	
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1226425

More updates to come....
    Last edited by BFXJason; January 2, 2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Got her a new steering wheel...I know it's early but it will help when I mock up the brake pedal and seat....

Name:	
Size:	968.6 KB
ID:	1226522
      Last edited by BFXJason; January 3, 2019, 07:18 AM.

Comment

nice. Whenever you have big gaps to fill, clamp copper sheet behind it - it doesn't have to be terribly thick (as thin as 16 ga), but it allows you to weld more and it removes the heat.... the other bonus is where the copper is clamped - that will be the level of the weld (less grinding to make flat).

a caution, though, as you've already tacked a bit - keep in mind that the plate, if clamped without grinding, won't be tight against the metal and thus, useless... it must have full contact with the metal on either side of the gap.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 3, 2019, 08:35 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely use it! Most of my fabricating has been self taught with a few great tips from folks here and there!

Much appreciated!

Comment

it's well known that I'm a hack, but I can share with you a tip that has helped per previous guidance... since copper sheet isn't generally laying around... I've used scrap pieces of copper pipe, hammered flat and bent into the shape needed to back up the gap being welded. Remember to move around, tack, move a couple inches away, tack again, move around as to not concentrate the heat in any one place.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yep. Copper IS copper and the welder doesn't know it used to be tubular. I've used pennies to back up a hole, forgetting that modern pennies are just copper PLATED - there was some sticking.

Dan

Comment

Awesome! Great tips! I'm not great when it comes to welding sheetmetal...but ever bit of advice helps!

Here are some pictures of the floor and rockers getting replaced. The floor was a kit from Direct Sheetmetal and worked well. I had to do a little trimming and bending but certainly easier than starting from scratch! I plan to finish the tunnel once I have the transmission and shifter in....

Name:	
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	1226666Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1226667

Name:	
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1226668
                Had to repair some of the sheetmetal in front of the rocker on the driver side....

Name:	
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1226669

Name:	
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1226670
                I'll have some work to do on the frame once I take the body off...bummer...

Name:	
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1226671

Name:	
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1226672

Name:	
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	1226673

Name:	
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1226674

Name:	
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1226675
                Last edited by BFXJason; January 4, 2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Looking good!
                  Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                  79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Steel shop I worked at had beat up 2" wide 3/8" thick copper plates that got clamped over wrongly punched holes.. Welder then fills the hole... Be a bump top and bottom to grind and the hole evidence disappears

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      it's well known that I'm a hack, but I can share with you a tip that has helped per previous guidance... since copper sheet isn't generally laying around... I've used scrap pieces of copper pipe, hammered flat and bent into the shape needed to back up the gap being welded. Remember to move around, tack, move a couple inches away, tack again, move around as to not concentrate the heat in any one place.
                      I used this trick over the weekend!
                      Worked great!
                      Thanks again!

Jason

Comment

Started mocking things up...seat and steering...then I'll get the brakes figured out...

Name:	
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	1226934
                        Last edited by BFXJason; January 7, 2019, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Made a little progress in the shop yesterday. Patched the lower portion of the cowl and cut out the passenger wheel-well for the tub. Coming up with a plan to notch the frame for the tire I want to run...

Name:	
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	1227471

Name:	
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	1227472

Name:	
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1227473

Also started toying with the idea of keeping or omitting the rear bumper...I can say one thing...it sticks out WAY too far...but I can solve that

Name:	
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	1227474
                          Last edited by BFXJason; January 14, 2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Back in the olden days the bumper was there to minimize any damage from some Bozo parking into your car (low speed bumps) and, of course, the occasional push start which was sometimes needed. So they were spaced it out to give some wiggle room. As far as appearance - move it IN!

Dan

Comment

Yep - It's going in...if it still doesn't look right we may go without it altogether.

This is the biggest project I've tackled all at once. It's these little victories that keep it going and knowing in the end it will be worth it.

I hope my engine mounts come in soon...

Comment

I often make my own mounts. Surprisingly, no one makes Mercedes Diesel into S-10 adaptor mounts (or headers, for that matter).

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X