1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
    Looks like it will add strength. Remember the Bell 47 made famous by M*A*S*H?

Awesome! Makes me feel better...if it was good enough for the military...

Comment

• It took some "prep work", but we have the engine and transmission sitting in the chassis. I will say this - removing the center between the "X" brace was a chore! Those rivets are MEAN!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	266.0 KB ID:	1249210

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	242.1 KB ID:	1249212

Needed to trim the "X" brace on both sides. We clearance the driver side a little more for shift linkage etc. Will need to do the bottom as well, but hopefully not as much. Once it's done, I'll add some bracing to strengthen it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	192.1 KB ID:	1249213

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	185.2 KB ID:	1249214

My cousin's son got some shop time as well! He is eager to learn and enjoyed throwin' some sparks! Look spretty good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	230.4 KB ID:	1249215

Now I need to check the driveline angles and adjust from there. When it is set, we'll make the transmission mount.
      Last edited by BFXJason; August 5, 2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• I did take him ^^^^ for a ride in Dad's old Falcon...helped with the "inspiration" hehehe

Comment

• Love to see youngun's learning hand skills. Too many just push phone buttons.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Love to see youngun's learning hand skills. Too many just push phone buttons.

Dan
            Yep - he told me last night he is looking forward to school next year so he can sign up for shop class. Made me proud.

Comment

• Give that boy a hug from Grandpa Dan!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Give that boy a hug from Grandpa Dan!

Dan
                Will do!

Comment

• Rear 4 link and cross-member is in place. Very happy how it turned out! The guys at Chassis Engineering made a great set-up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	1249569

Name:	
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	1249570

Name:	
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	1249571

Name:	
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	1249572

Name:	
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1249573
                  Last edited by BFXJason; August 12, 2019, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• What’s the plan for the 64 Galaxie?
                    Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• The Galaxie was my first car - bought it when I was 12, fixed it up and drove it through high school. Afterwards I took it apart and it has not been on the road since. That was a LONG time ago.

I plan on getting back to it after the '40. It will be a street car, but have a complete tube chassis - 31X18.00R20's on the back and 26X8.00R18's up front. The rear suspension is a ladder bar / coil over set-up. I want it to be a reliable and comfortable driver with power steering, power windows, air, etc.

As far as power? It had a 390/C6 combo in high school. It may be old school, but I still have a 390. Thinking about updating it, using a stroker kit, dual quads, maybe FI, maybe a Procharger?? The trans will be a stick...maybe a 6 speed?

Still a long way to go. Want to get it done before I retire...that way I can focus on the race car...

I think I need another hobby...hehehehe

Good thing I have a patient wife...which is why I'm building this '40 for her.

Here are a few more pics...

Name:	
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	1249663

Name:	
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	1249664

Name:	
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	1249665

Name:	
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	1249666

Name:	
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1249667
                      Last edited by BFXJason; August 14, 2019, 05:17 AM.

Comment

• Lookin' good!
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Thanks!

Givin the welder a workout! hehehehehe

Comment

• Your shop is really clean. If I was welding that much there would be 6" of grinding dust on the floor.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                              Your shop is really clean. If I was welding that much there would be 6" of grinding dust on the floor.
                              Thank you but I think my wife might say otherwise! hehehe

Some days it feels like tools and parts are everywhere... One year she bought me (8) tape measures for Christmas to help me save time from wondering around the shop looking for one. She also keeps buying me extra wrenches for the same reason...you can never have too many - right?

BTW - Last year she bought me a shop vac...for the welding dust....

Comment

• It's amazing how many hours you can spend working on something, but it's hard to tell what progress has been made???

Before I fabbed up the transmission mount, I wanted to get the X-brace secured. In order to do that I needed to box in the frame....however, before I boxed in the frame, I needed to weld in the cage nuts. At some point I plan to run a fuel line and battery cable though a portion of the boxed section. Concerned I would snag, or worse, run a bolt through one of them, I came up with this solution. Hopefully it will prevent any damage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	1251190
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	1251191

Frame boxed and X-brace secure. I will finish boxing it once I finish cutting and moving the rear rails.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	182.0 KB ID:	1251192

While I was working on the frame rails I had the housing narrowed and plugged the rear drain hole. It came out of a '64 Ford Galaxie, it had to be narrowed A LOT!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	199.3 KB ID:	1251193
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	203.8 KB ID:	1251194

31 spline Moser axles in place...

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	195.2 KB ID:	1251195

I bought a blank transmission mount knowing some modification would be required. With the engine/transmission at the proper angle, the top piece would not clear. No big deal, but I'm guessing I'll need to modify the transmission tunnel. Again, not a major obstacle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	143.1 KB ID:	1251196
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	208.0 KB ID:	1251197

The lower plate was blank so I made up a riser to meet the trans mount.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	186.1 KB ID:	1251198

After all was said and done, I think it worked out well?

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	218.9 KB ID:	1251199

I know the X-brace in this car is pretty stout, and the trimming to clear the transmission probably would not hurt anything, but it was bugging me. There were some bolt holes just sitting there, so I made up a plate, bolted it to the X-brace, welded it to the top plate, and used a diagonal tube between the two. This is all one piece with the upper plate and adds extra support near the transmission mount itself. Again, probably not needed, but I feel better now....hehehe

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	186.2 KB ID:	1251200

Mocked up the tires and wheels...just for fun. Next step...cutting the rear rails and moving them in...big step!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	209.3 KB ID:	1251201
                                Last edited by BFXJason; September 9, 2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X