1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BFXJason View Post
    Ha! - it had a 260 in it when we first built it...

The carbs are 450's, so I'm hoping it will not be too bad. It idles fine and revs good after we put in some larger squirters and adjusted the timing. We'll see how it goes. I'd like to make it work. Not looking for all out performance, just decent drivability and the cool factor.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I'm pretty proud to have his old car and the memories of us building it together.
    The 450's will be a big problem to overcome. They have mechanical secondaries, but no secondary accelerator pumps. So they work great if you are on the primaries, or if you go wide open throttle. But transitioning from primaries to secondaries will usually cause the engine to stumble when the secondaries open gradually.
    I run the same carbs on my SBC tunnel ram, and had to switch to 50cc pumps, and go to larger squirters to overcome the stumble. It runs a bit rich, but it finally doesn't stumble when gradually accelerating. A pair of carbs with secondary accelerator pumps would work better.
    My intake wont allow the carbs to mount inline, and sideways they're still too close to use something like a 600cfm 1850 with vacuum secondaries. The 1850 vacuum secondary carbs will work much better if the intake allows them to fit.

Comment

• Would the 390's work for you? I had one of them on my 215 Buick/Vega and it worked great. Seems like 2 might get 'er done.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Would the 390's work for you? I had one of them on my 215 Buick/Vega and it worked great. Seems like 2 might get 'er done.

Dan
        390's might not work as they're a vacuum secondary carb and it appears his sit sideways. So vacuum secondary Holleys wont normally fit side by side on most intakes. Then there's the issue of tunnel rams and their large plenums needing more volume of air and gas. It's usually better to go larger than you would on a standard two 4 barrel setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

The 450's will be a big problem to overcome. They have mechanical secondaries, but no secondary accelerator pumps. So they work great if you are on the primaries, or if you go wide open throttle. But transitioning from primaries to secondaries will usually cause the engine to stumble when the secondaries open gradually.
          I run the same carbs on my SBC tunnel ram, and had to switch to 50cc pumps, and go to larger squirters to overcome the stumble. It runs a bit rich, but it finally doesn't stumble when gradually accelerating. A pair of carbs with secondary accelerator pumps would work better.
          My intake wont allow the carbs to mount inline, and sideways they're still too close to use something like a 600cfm 1850 with vacuum secondaries. The 1850 vacuum secondary carbs will work much better if the intake allows them to fit.
          Thanks for the insight. Dual carbs are new to me, but I have a close friend that is familiar with tuning these things. I'm good with larger accelerator pumps if that is what we need. We also need to try some different cams if needed. Just tuning in the garage we were able to get rid of the stumble with bigger squirters. I know driving it will be a different story....so we'll see what happens in the spring.

Thanks again!

Comment

• The trunk pan is in! Thanks to Chassis Engineering (again!) I gave them a drawing and they whipped 'em up!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7109cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.1 KB ID:	1261919

Covered up the upper shock mount. Made a little extra clearance for the exhaust and rearend as well. The bolts near the wheel tubs are body mounts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7111cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.7 KB ID:	1261920

I'll get the battery box permanently mounted and on to the next!
            Last edited by BFXJason; February 5, 2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Well, tying not to bore everyone with little updates...but all these little things take time.

The battery box is permanently mounted.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7131cp.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1264494

I wanted to brace the trunk floor so I came up with this odd creation. It fits above the tank so at least you won't see it!

Name:	IMG_7136cp.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	1264495

Name:	IMG_7137cp.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1264496

The new trunk latch is installed and I made a panel to give me access to the gas tank fittings and sending unit.

Name:	IMG_7177cp.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1264498

Name:	IMG_7212cp.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	1264497

Name:	IMG_7208cp.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	1264502

Even started on the trailer hitch. I'll finish this once the body is removed from the chassis.

Name:	IMG_7168cp.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	1264500

Name:	IMG_7167cp.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	1264499

Had the fenders reworked by my buddy that will end up doing the bodywork and paint. Made up a new brace and mounted the taillights to figure out holes for wiring. For now, the back end of the car is done until it goes to the body shop.

Name:	IMG_7179cp.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1264504

Name:	IMG_7202cp.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1264503

Name:	IMG_7213cp.jpg
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	1264501

On to the middle of the car. Gas pedal and brake pedal assembly are mounted. I really want to keep the firewall clean in the engine compartment, so this under the dash unit from Wilwood will work great. Spent a good while with the wife in the garage to make sure the positioning was spot on. She's getting excited so that is great motivation.

Name:	IMG_7283cp.jpg
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1264507

Name:	IMG_7287cp.jpg
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	1264506

Had to make sure everything worked

Name:	IMG_7288cp.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	1264508

Now it's time to finish the tunnel...

Name:	IMG_7293cp.jpg
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	1264505

Hoping to get everything on my end done by the end of June so we can get it over to my buddies' body shop. We'll see, spring is coming and lots to do around the farm.

Comment

• Loved the cardboard "War Board" taped to the right rear of the car.
                I make these to remind myself what needs to be done FIRST, so in the excitement of getting closer, I Don't Have a OH, DAIAIMIT! Moment, and have to tear things down!!

Looking Good.

Comment

• And the pix taped to the side also.
                  I have "Idea Boards" for my major projects.
                  pix, drawings, tech sheets, etc Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1129.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	763.9 KB
ID:	1264520

Comment

• Yep - all good things for inspiration and keeping track. Right now, I'm trying to break it down into "sections" so I don't get too overwhelmed. This is the biggest project I've tackled all at once. I know it will be worth it in the end, just grateful I'm able to do it.

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by BFXJason View Post
                      Yep - all good things for inspiration and keeping track. Right now, I'm trying to break it down into "sections" so I don't get too overwhelmed. This is the biggest project I've tackled all at once. I know it will be worth it in the end, just grateful I'm able to do it.

Thanks!
                      Never go to SEMA .... I actively have to remind myself that I'm going to drive it, the welds aren't dimes, the bolt writing isn't lined up and it's okay....
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Never go to SEMA .... I actively have to remind myself that I'm going to drive it, the welds aren't dimes, the bolt writing isn't lined up and it's okay....
                        I'm there every year, but it's for work so I suppose it's a much different perspective. I am no where near talented as the Pro's, nor do I have the tools. I paid $100 buck for my MIG welder in the late 90's...My TIG is newer, but I still need practice. Was looking at a drill press the other day...wooo! hehe

It WILL BE a driver...one that hopefully sees the majority of the 50 states.

Thanks!

Comment

• Remember that those pro built cars have 2 things going for them that we'll never have - 1) infinite money which can buy 2) infinite person hours. I now have access to #2 (as long as it's my time) but lack #1.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            Remember that those pro built cars have 2 things going for them that we'll never have - 1) infinite money which can buy 2) infinite person hours. I now have access to #2 (as long as it's my time) but lack #1.

Dan
                            Very TRUE!

Comment

• Very nice work. Has she picked the color yet?
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Thanks...It would look better if I had some patience! Doing my best to slow down, but keep moving...

She wants to go with a satin black. She wants it to have some "sheen", but not gloss either. Maybe one notch below like a "semi-gloss"? I know it's a little vague, but I'm open to suggestions. I noticed a lot are using the John Deere black, but to me it is not a "deep black". (Okay - now I am just sounding weird).

Here is something close:

Name:	33Ford89.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1264735

I'm certainly open to suggestions. I also found this, but know nothing about it?

Name:	648221293-1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1264736

Comment

Working...
                                X