No announcement yet.

1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently when parting out a 95 truck - I came across the trailer hitch and was astonished at the level of corrosion - it was rusted through in more than one spot.
    Please look carefully at the hitch you're hooking up to prior to taking off!

The fabrication of this hitch looks really good!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Good advice!

Thanks! Looking at other designs, I think this will be OK - just need to make sure the rest of the frame is OK. I need to add a 14" extension to get the ball past the bumper. I plan to make a bracket the attaches to the back of the bumper and will allow the extension to be easily removed.

The trailer we are looking at is about 3,800 lbs fully loaded, with 410 lbs of tongue weight. The tanks are in the back of the trailer, so I could probably offset some of the hitch weight?

Hoping it will all work out OK. I'm comparing some of it to my old '95 F150. It had a 302, automatic, 3.55 gears and a 28" tall tire. I know the frame / suspension is different, but trying to get close by boxing as much as possible and spring rates.

Comment

• I'd recommend an equalizer hitch. Helps with sway and weight distribution.

Superior sway control technology makes it the best performing sway control hitch on the market, working to keep your family safe, every time you tow.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• I tow the car trailer with an equalizer and have for years. They WORK!

Dan

Comment

• Awesome! Thanks guys!

Looks like a great piece. I have a weight distributing hitch for the Super Duty and enclosed trailer, but this one looks to be more compact. Should work a lot better.

Thanks again!

Comment

• The bodywork is done...at least for now !
              It is to the point were it's ready to go on the chassis before final prep and paint.

The bottom is painted in the areas near the exhaust. We used UPOL bed liner in other areas including the wheel-wells and inside the fenders. It layed down real nice and should provide plenty of protection.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8417cp.jpg Views:	70 Size:	242.9 KB ID:	1284586
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8420cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	262.5 KB ID:	1284579Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8418cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.4 KB ID:	1284580
              Last edited by BFXJason; January 1, 2021, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Inside is sealed up and covered in primer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8427cp.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	1284584Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8428cp.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	1284585

Comment

• Looks great! Good to see the side intrusion protection bars in the doors! Funny what we've come to expect these days that was not even thought of back then.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; December 9, 2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Dan...

Yep - but unfortunately this model had the "side air-bag delete" option.... hehehehe

Comment

• Originally posted by BFXJason View Post
                      Thanks Dan...

Yep - but unfortunately this model had the "side air-bag delete" option.... hehehehe
                      Just put a couple of footballs between you and the door before you drive off! (That might work?)

Dan

Comment

• I like it!!!!

Comment

• Happy New Year!

The body is back in the shop. Waiting to do the powdercoating, I have plenty of other things to do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8431cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.3 KB ID:	1285515

The inside is now painted. More function than form, much of this will get covered with a sound deadener.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8444cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	240.0 KB ID:	1285516Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8442cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.5 KB ID:	1285517

Adding some modern conveniences...a Dual USB port inside the "pocket" built on the dash.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8476cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.4 KB ID:	1285518

With the larger head unit going in the dash, and modern knobs, I discovered they would not work together. The knobs needed to be moved down 1/2"....sooo...let the cutting begin...

Click image for larger version  Name:	LAGI5536cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	228.5 KB ID:	1285519Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8460cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.9 KB ID:	1285520Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8475cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.6 KB ID:	1285521Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E8497cp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.9 KB ID:	1285522

Still have some finish work to do but I'm happy with the results...
                          Last edited by BFXJason; January 1, 2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Working with the wife on a color scheme for the dash. The plan will be two-tone. I decided to use the heater box as a guinea pig...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8522cp.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1285809

She gave it the "thumbs up"!

Comment

• now a 'his' and 'her' 5th of the adult beverage of your choice behind each door for the win....
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• HMM....I like your thinking!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X