No announcement yet.

1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow this build is going to be sweet I look forward to all the post as i am at the same point with my 48 chev.I will be following how u align the must2 as that is what ihave also.love the build thx bob

Comment

• Thanks Bob!

I've built a few cars, but never this extensive. It's been fun so far!

I finished the alignment....well as best I could from a garage standpoint to get the car on the road. (Yes - this is my disclaimer...hehehehe) A digital angle gauge, some levels and creativity go a long way!

I set the car up for ride height using solid rods in place of the shocks and springs. (Note - I did the alignment with the rods in place as it would be easier without the "load" of the springs). The goal is to have the lower a-arm level, or parallel to the ground. Putting the car on the ground, I measured the "angle" of the car front to back. From there, I jacked it up making sure to keep the same angle front to back, and level side to side.

Camber was done with the angle gauge on the mounting face of the rotor.

Caster took some "creativeness". Now I am sure some can shoot holes in this, but again, this is a "garage" alignment. With the brake caliper brackets installed, I bolted an 90 degree angle plate to it. Making the holes big enough for adjustment, I measured from the centerline if each ball joint to the plate and adjusted until they were equal. (see pics) I moved the upper a-arm until I have the camber at "0" and he caster ended up around 3 degrees positive. The directions call out for caster to be 1/2 degree positive. However, this car has power steering, so I went a bit more for the stability.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8662cp.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	1292812

Name:	IMG_8661cp.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1292813
      Toe was done with some long straight edges across the tire measuring front to back. I also tried to keep the tie rod length from the pivot point equal side to side.

Again, is it perfect? Probably not. Will it work to get the car on the road...I think so???

Good luck with your project!

Comment

• Another option for caster - I got some tubing that's ID was the same as the OD of the ball joint threads. I notched one end so it could slide on and then welded a smaller diameter piece of tubing at 90* to it. I put my digital level on the small tube to measure the difference. I also run a TON more caster than the MKII specs call for.

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	745.5 KB
ID:	1292827

The aluminum plate can be swiveled to allow the level to sit properly while holding every thing in place. For ME, caster isn't nearly as critical as camber for tire wear so as long as the caster reads the same (or very close) - I am happy. Again, I run a lot of caster ~ 5* - 6*

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	660.1 KB
ID:	1292826

Comment

• Long time since an update......stuck in painter's jail??
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• The car is ready to go back to the body shop, but we've both been busy. I've switched roles at my job and trying to stay up on the farm. The hood, front fenders, and grill are painted. I'll wait to reveal the color until the rest of it is done - but it looks great!

The plan for now is to get it back to the body shop in the next couple of weeks. I did buy a stroker kit for the engine if that counts! Hehehe

Thanks for asking!

Comment

• Well - it's off to the body shop! (the car - even though the poor old trailer needs some love too! hehe) .

Name:	IMG_9183cp.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	1302079

Also - did some work on the air conditioning/heater controls. I needed (4), but only had room on the dash for two. So the zone control and fan speed are on the dash, while the heat and air conditioning temp are hidden in the glovebox.

Name:	IMG_9196cp.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1302080

Bought all the parts (I can think of) to complete the engine. Just waiting to get everything in paint before I send it off to the machine shop.

Comment

• It's baaaccckkk!!!

I have to say I'm really happy with the color she picked out. The pictures do not do it justice. Now I have A LOT of work to do! The great part is everything should be going on for the last time. I'm going to tackle the brakes, wiring and trim next. The engine needs to go to the engine shop, but that may wait until the spring. I should be busy until then...

Name:	IMG_9412cp.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	1308256Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9427cp.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	563.2 KB
ID:	1308257Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9434cp.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	1308251Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9430cp.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	568.1 KB
ID:	1308252Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9436cp.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	622.5 KB
ID:	1308253Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9437cp.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	568.2 KB
ID:	1308254Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9428cp.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	1308255

Attached Files

Comment

• Wow, that's nice!!
                  1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                  1997 Mustang GT
                  sigpic

Comment

• that looks amazing!
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I like the color too. Now it becomes fun!
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Very NICE! I love this car.
                        A.K.A. Brian
                        Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• This going to be Her "Coolest Grocery Getter", the cart boys are going to fight over who gets to bring her groceries out to the Car ! (Our Small Town, they will still cart your groceries out if you wish, and put them in your trunk)

Comment

• Thank all! She has never had anything like this...and now that it looks more like the finished product, she sees the vision. Needless to say she is excited, which makes it all worth it...

Now if I could just talk her into a 6-71....

Comment

• Originally posted by BFXJason View Post
                              Thank all! She has never had anything like this...and now that it looks more like the finished product, she sees the vision. Needless to say she is excited, which makes it all worth it...

Now if I could just talk her into a 6-71....
                              you're doing it wrong, ask for forgiveness
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• love the color good winter project ill be following close with all it takes to get to the finish line.Is it base coat clear coat or single stage sure looks good!

Comment

Working...
                                X