No announcement yet.

1940 Ford Sedan - it's the wife's turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is base coat clear coat - 4 coats of base, 4 coats of clear.

The goal is to get it to move under it's own power (dare I say "drive-able") by the end of next summer.

I know it was parked in 1977, but it looks like some work was being done prior? Either way - it will be cool to see it move...

Comment

• please keep posting progress this is a bad ass build. good luck going forward Quality takes time.Thx Bob

Comment

• This is how it goes right....??? Many hours does not look like much progress???

Anyhow, I've put down the sound deadener in the truck and firewall, Installed the battery and cables, mounted the brake pedal and master cylinders, bled the brakes and started to mount all the accessories for wiring.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9494.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	983.8 KB
ID:	1309869

Name:	IMG_9493.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1309870
        Just to make it look more complete I took a break from the interior to install the mirrors and trim, at least on the passenger side. I bought the trim used when the original plan was more of a "rough" finish. Unfortunately this meant the driver side trim was not in the best of shape, so new pieces are on order. On a good note, it's amazing how this 80 year old trim polished up and I really think it improves the overall appearance. I'm really happy how this car is turning out.

Name:	IMG_9492.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	990.3 KB
ID:	1309871Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9497.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	994.2 KB
ID:	1309872Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9496.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	978.3 KB
ID:	1309873Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9495.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	999.1 KB
ID:	1309874

Comment

• N i c e ~ ~ ~
          Last edited by Captain; November 27, 2021, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• The engine shop called and they are finishing up the short block waaayyy ahead of schedule (does that happen any more?). That being the case I may be going a little overboard...

Name:	IMG_9555cp.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	1310975
            I decided to put the mock up engine and trans in the car to finish the wiring and make sure any connections going through the firewall did not have any interference issues. We still have a long way to go...but we've had this car four years now and it has come a long way!

Name:	IMG_9551cp.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	662.1 KB
ID:	1310976

Comment

• ...And more wiring...(I think I'll be doing this for a while...)

It was painful, but I had to make some more holes in the firewall for these connectors. In the end I really like how they go together and it looks clean - at least to me.

Name:	IMG_9571cp.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	527.5 KB
ID:	1312279Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9573cp.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	1312280
              Laying out the wiring for the engine compartment...and yes...that is an "OOGAH" horn. Not sure if it will stay but it works for now...at it is LOUD!

Name:	IMG_9572cp.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	658.1 KB
ID:	1312281Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9634cp.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	677.6 KB
ID:	1312282

Found the sleeving on Amazon...I think it looks better than the corrugated stuff...

Name:	IMG_9643cp.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	1312283Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9646cp.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	571.9 KB
ID:	1312284

Gas tank filler tube installed...sounds easy - right - new part, bolts in...not even close...many hours in this to make it fit right...

Name:	BCEV6676cp.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	1312285

Same with the cowl vent. The gaskets are always too thick (from what I have read AND experienced. I went through (3) different brands and still had to modify it. Had to "tweak" the vent itself as well...fun to do after it's painted. I've switched to an electric motor to move it up and down, but I have on coming with a little more torque in attempt to compress the gasket a little more. For now it works with the switch on the overheard console.

Name:	IMG_9647cp.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	1312286

Comment

• The engine is back and almost finished. Just a few things to bolt on before it goes in the car. It may be a bit overkill, but it will be plenty strong and durable for her to create some tire smoke!

Name:	IMG_9669cp.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	574.3 KB
ID:	1312916

Comment

• That Should Put Some
                  "ZIP In Her DooDa" !!

Comment

• This shouldn't be on Page 2.....how's it coming?
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Been busy with work the past couple of months, but making slow progress with the wiring and buying parts.
                      I hope to pick up the pace soon…but the new air cleaner looks good! Hehe

Thanks!

Name:	IMG_9773cp.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	662.8 KB
ID:	1315733

Comment

• Adding Chrome Gaggets is somehow a Rusty Iron Junkie Euphoria, like finding the "Get One Free" stick in your Dilly Bar at DQ......

Comment

• Great choices on the finned aluminum valve covers and air cleaner - I like the wiring sleeve - looks clean and not "plasticky" like the convolute. LOVE the bulkhead wiring connectors - where did you source those?
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                            Great choices on the finned aluminum valve covers and air cleaner - I like the wiring sleeve - looks clean and not "plasticky" like the convolute. LOVE the bulkhead wiring connectors - where did you source those?
                            Thanks!

The wiring sleeves and connectors...all from Amazon....

Comment

• And,,,,we are still wiring...

I made up this simple brace to simulate where the knobs are positioned. Made it a lot easier to figure out the wiring configuration. Trying to get most of it before the dash goes into place.

Name:	IMG_9847cp.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	541.6 KB
ID:	1317092

Speaking of the dash, also trying to wire as much on this end as possible. Still a ways to go but moving forward.

Name:	IMG_9848cp.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	1317093

Comment

• That is brilliant! Wish you had told me about that.......LOL.
                                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                                X