Milner351's 5 window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    Is it sinful to paint a car primer that's already painted?
    Ugh. I knew I should never have bought a shiny car. I have a hard time keeping them shiny!
    Primer is justified in this case....it also takes care of 1970s "artwork "
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Tint the primer a matching shade of yellow.

For fun, try shooting some tinted primer on a scrap piece..........and then shoot some clear over the primer. Amazing how decent it comes out.

So to recap, the point of all of this is primarily to remove the bump steer spacers. To fix it correctly, the rack must move. While fixing it correctly, the crossmember replacement can make the bumps unnecessary. Then the hideous bumps can be removed.

So what about this? Tape them up good, and using the same thin cutoff wheel process trim the bumps and apron off. Touch up paint bare metal edges, build simple bolt on braces to remount the now bump-less and apron-less fenders. And enjoy for a summer while plotting the next move?

I could look at a "hole-where-the-bumps-were" lots longer than I could look at a the bumps themselves. Not perfect, but a pretty big baby step?

Fill the holes later and enjoy the current paint for a while longer?
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Thankfully - the full grille shell is there.
        You guys are talking me into cutting the fenders and running boards apart.
        Since welder series already has a cross member to make it work without "bumps" I see no reason to keep them.
        Ugh. I knew I should never have bought a shiny car. I have a hard time keeping them shiny!
        1. we are enablers, it is what we do.
        2. It is not sinful to primer a car that is painted and in some cases it is justifiable
        3. Shiney is overrated, think of all the time you'd save not having to wash, wax and detail!
        4. See #1.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

truth be told, I'm not a fan of yellow; so my opinion is going to be colored by that.... age it. Make the paint job look like someone is overcoming issues from the 80s, you know, like a Supreme Court justice tasteful yet with much angst...

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            truth be told, I'm not a fan of yellow; so my opinion is going to be colored by that.... age it. Make the paint job look like someone is overcoming issues from the 80s, you know, like a Supreme Court justice tasteful yet with much angst...
            Are you suggesting he sticker bomb it with heavy metal and punk rock stickers?
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

Are you suggesting he sticker bomb it with heavy metal and punk rock stickers?

Now that could be interesting. I could send some stickers from the way-back file......

Comment

Took an ugly turn here...

Comment

Thankfully - the full grille shell is there.
                  You guys are talking me into cutting the fenders and running boards apart.
                  Since welder series already has a cross member to make it work without "bumps" I see no reason to keep them.
                  If you do it right - a few parts could remain shiny

Comment

1. it will take more patience than I usually have - but I plan to start wet sanding the scallops to see how they'll come off.... time will tell if my patience holds out long enough to actually remove them, while leaving the yellow underneath
                    2. the grille shell will remain shiny regardless of the rest of the build
                    3. the QA1 coil overs are in the house, now to find time to install them, see how it works as is, then, formulate more plans for the fate of the rear suspension
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

John, sometimes you can use various "techniques" to remove unwanted layers of paint individually. Give this thread a quick run-thru...I can personally vouch for several of those methods. As the thread shows, what will work just depends on what the paint used was.

Start gentle and work your way up to agressive, i.e. wet sanding.

Enjoy! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...er=asc&start=0

Comment

Graffiti remover you say? interesting.

Comment

Graffiti Remover has become my Go-To chemical for tough clean-ups.

Comment

Um, John..... What about respraying yellow on the bits you fix? If you're worried about your paint skills I'll lend a hand the next time I'm in town - it isn't all that hard. Save a hunk that you cut off and take it to the paint store so they can brew up a perfect match. Yellow isn't too hard to match up.

Dan

Comment

That's pretty cool. Especially the Boss351

Comment

Dan - good point, the running boards and fenders are more beat up than they look in the pictures, if I want to remove them, and fix those dents and paint cracks before re-installing, I'm painting the whole assembly regardless. I suppose you're right, I don't have to go to a contrasting color, I could attempt a paint match and keep 'em yellow.

The master cylinder has sprung a leak, and I didn't catch it before it bubbled up some paint on top of the frame where the running board runs over the frame, one more reason to take them off and make them "right".

Part of me likes the idea of a Jekyl and Hyde set up - make the running boards and full front fenders removable, and get some "motorcycle fenders" for the fronts more like Milner's coupe.

Comment

Working...
                                X