No announcement yet.

1967 Jeepster Commando - The Kaiser Commando C-101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All those ideas sound heavy. Sand = lightweight = less broken parts = more fun.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Light weight and reasonably powerful? The SHO V6 with a couple turbos strapped to it. It's silly, but you started it! :D

Nah, just get whatever's reasonably cheap that has decent support so you can get parts. Ideally a belt-driven intake for that immediate throttle response on sand, and yer golden!

Comment

Mercedes OM617! I picked mine because it fits the class rules but also because it's pretty light for a Diesel (I've heard 650 to 680 lbs), easy to come by, comes with a turbo, and makes RPM (redline is 4700, I shift mine at 5100-5200) so you can use a reasonable final drive ratio (I run a 3:08). And someone (I'd have to look it up) makes adaptors to most transmissions.

Problem solved!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          needs an efi 4.0....there I said it...others were thinking it but they did not want to say it....
          NO! The V-6 is a pretty good motor!
          225 in a Buick Special wagon beat a built 18XX VW with twin carbs every time.. That vw guy was so pissed!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Mercedes OM617! I picked mine because it fits the class rules but also because it's pretty light for a Diesel (I've heard 650 to 680 lbs), easy to come by, comes with a turbo, and makes RPM (redline is 4700, I shift mine at 5100-5200) so you can use a reasonable final drive ratio (I run a 3:08). And someone (I'd have to look it up) makes adaptors to most transmissions.

Problem solved!

Dan
            I never realized those weighed so much, that's within 50 lbs of a 6.2 diesel
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Buddy pulled a 450 SL on a trailer to San Diego from Vancouver WA.. Said it was a heavy pull..

Comment

Didn't realize you were building a sand runner...later model Buick V6 with a pair of itty bitty turbos for quick spoolup....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Slap a turbo on it and run it till it breaks! (it will eventually break) I'd bet replacing the old copper/brass radiator for an aluminum one would go a fair ways to off setting the weight of the turbo and associated plumbing, especially since for the dunes where putting the turbo outlet out the hood with a rain cap is down right appropriate!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

One of these days I ought to weigh my spare engine. That would give me an actual number as you hear all kinds of figures on the Interwebs and there's no telling what's right. I posted the numbers that I've heard most frequently - but that doesn't make 'em accurate! The engine is radically overbuilt - thick block castings, thick rod cross sections, etc., so I'm sure it weighs more than it ought to.

Dan

Comment

This is interesting. I suppose Buick did it in order for the O2 sensor to read from both banks evenly. On these later manifolds the driver side fed under the oil pan and up INTO the passenger side manifold, then everything left thru the passenger side rearmost outlet. The one stub is capped off in the Commando.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	208.4 KB ID:	1213941
                      Last edited by STINEY; August 31, 2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

One of these days I ought to weigh my spare engine. That would give me an actual number as you hear all kinds of figures on the Interwebs and there's no telling what's right. I posted the numbers that I've heard most frequently - but that doesn't make 'em accurate! The engine is radically overbuilt - thick block castings, thick rod cross sections, etc., so I'm sure it weighs more than it ought to.

Dan
                        Old saying with old Mercs, the bodies rust away long before the engines die. And the diesels will probably outlast time itself.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post

Old saying with old Mercs, the bodies rust away long before the engines die. And the diesels will probably outlast time itself.
                          Oh you foreigners! In the US, a Merc is a Mercury so we get all befuddled when a Mercedes is called a "Merc". At least, I do!

But yes, they DO get rusty and the Diesels seem to run forever.

Dan

Comment

Something light with good power how about a turbocharged 4 valve volvo headed pinto engine
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Did the Folvo science experiment ever come to a successful conclusion?
                              Last edited by silver_bullet; September 1, 2018, 02:54 PM.
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

This is like "Where's Waldo" of vehicular wrong-ness. How many can you find? (Hint: at least 4 major ones.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	YNNGk0K.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	1214339

Comment

Working...
                                X