No announcement yet.

1967 Jeepster Commando - The Kaiser Commando C-101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose that's one way to fix death wobble....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Spent some time with the Commando this past weekend. Gutted a LOT of Previous Owners Electrical Wiring Add-Ons (is that POEWAO? It is now.)

Built a rudimentary harness to fire the ignition and the starter with switch and pushbutton on dash. Had to add the ballast resister to get it to idle evenly - turns out the right bank of 246 were misfiring due to the full 12 volts I was putting to the distributor. Dropped the voltage with the resister block and it instantly idled great. Well, a high idle anyways. The idle circuit apparently has MORE of the silicone sealant I found in the carb bowl.

Drove it around the yard! Woohoo!

And made a deal for a buddy to take 2 Dana 30's, a Dana 27, and bring me back a rebuilt disc brake Dana 30. Pretty sure I am going to reverse the SOA and put the axles back on top of the springs where they belong. It simply sits too high for 31" tires. And larger tires will need better axles - not going down that road with this Jeep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gs2IIZZ.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	1214344
      Last edited by STINEY; September 4, 2018, 09:20 AM.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

that thing is so in need of a body swap to a 4x4 chevy frame.... fast, easy, driving in a weekend (as long as you started with a driving truck).... bonus points if you start with a 3/4 ton frame.... best of all, you can play the safety card because it widens the stance....

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          This is like "Where's Waldo" of vehicular wrong-ness. How many can you find? (Hint: at least 4 major ones.)

Name:	YNNGk0K.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	1214339
          I can only pray for your salvation from this purgatory!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            that thing is so in need of a body swap to a 4x4 chevy frame.... fast, easy, driving in a weekend (as long as you started with a driving truck).... bonus points if you start with a 3/4 ton frame.... best of all, you can play the safety card because it widens the stance....
            Like this one? These Jeepster bodies are really narrow. I like the look with paddles on, not sure of it with street tires.

Click image for larger version  Name:	kadMPqY.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	1214348
            Attached Files
            Last edited by STINEY; September 4, 2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

wheel offset is a thing, they even make negative offset (meaning you can use late-model wheels to achieve your goals).

Of course, you asked me once before what I thought would be cool.... finding a rusted out Bronco (full or mini) would be an excellent way to shortcut the repairs that is going to need anyway. That said, I've no idea how well (or not well) those two could be made one..... which means, you can show us

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                wheel offset is a thing, they even make negative offset (meaning you can use late-model wheels to achieve your goals).

Of course, you asked me once before what I thought would be cool.... finding a rusted out Bronco (full or mini) would be an excellent way to shortcut the repairs that is going to need anyway. That said, I've no idea how well (or not well) those two could be made one..... which means, you can show us
                Or a mahindra roxor (brand new chassis, turbo diesel, disc brakes, and a man pedal with a 5speed)!put Mahindra in the search engine to find all the links that I have posted...
                Last edited by silver_bullet; September 4, 2018, 04:44 PM.
                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Or a mahindra roxor (brand new chassis, turbo diesel, disc brakes, and a man pedal with a 5speed)!put Mahindra in the search engine to find all the links that I have posted...
                  I like it, if we just strap magnets to the sides of all the Jeep lovers who have died out there, we could generate enough power to light the world.....

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                    :put Mahindra in the search engine to find all the links that I have posted...
                    So I did. How on earth did I miss the 4x4 Bench Build thread? A thread where Aaron actually both recommends a Jeep AND admits that FJs and CJs are really the same thing. ‘Tis a thing of beauty.

That whole thread actually highlights this Commando to me. Basic small capable 4x4 - and the Jeepster has the added benefit of being just rare enough to make people scratch their heads in wonder, even most Jeep people.

And the the old adage of breaking a crowbar in a sandbox applies. Use of the tool is often more important than the tool itself. I have seen people wheel Plymouth Volare’s to the top of sand dunes with nothing but old snow tires and skill. Have also seen hundreds of driveshafts pitched from otherwise capable big rigs being driven too roughly. It’s all about finesse and style.

(And I would toss a Mahindra chassis under a titled CJ2A in a FLASH. Where do I find one cheap, lol)
                    Last edited by STINEY; September 4, 2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I'll have to post the video where they remove the 45 mph limiter and give it 1/3 more power with just a tune....

admits? hmmm

Comment

Evicting squatter wiring.

Name:	SHznqBq.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	1214463

Also got rid of those pubescent stickers. And a non-functional Amp Meter (which was still carrying live 12g wires to the alternator and starter, yikes)

There were two oil pressure gauges. One was hooked up and didn't function, read 40 all the time. The other was not hooked up, yet it turns out that one did function. Reads 20 at idle.

Name:	kHIj6ba.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	1214462

And drove it around to the front of the barn. Nice day, though it hit 103 degrees that afternoon.

Name:	L4dGuCY.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	1214464

Comment

sweet, so how'd it drive?

Comment

Bouncy.

One out of four shocks is actually hooked up at both ends. Idle circuit is still AWOL, high idle on next circuit so going into gear is rougher than it should be. That said, transmission feels good and transfer case is quiet. Rear axle is quiet too. Brakes work and don't hang up.

Did some mild weird popping/grabbing when turning relatively sharply. Not surprising, and supports plan to swap a disc brake Dana 30 in. Is surprising in light of the fact that the lockout hubs are indeed, locked out. Not sure what to make of that....sticky lockouts?

Power steering is typical 60's Buick feel. Waaayyy overboosted, turn with your pinky, cushy Buick goodness. Ah, memory lane....

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

(And I would toss a Mahindra chassis under a titled CJ2A in a FLASH. Where do I find one cheap, lol)
                              I realize that the Mahindra is expensive, but, How much would it cost for new (not rebuilt) and updated everything under a classic Jeep?
                              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Been meaning to post this:

You're so sweet, you're so fineI want you all and ev'rything just to be mine'Cos you're my baby, 'cos you're my loveOh girl I'm just a jeepster for your love...

Fun Stuff!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X