1967 Jeepster Commando - The Kaiser Commando C-101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    Yes, but not all 231 were even-fire. And the heads will interchange with some coolant passage massaging, so not every 231 headed engine is a 231, some could be 225s in disguise.

SBG-odd-fire caps have odd spacing between the terminals and you can easily and quickly tell by looking at the top of the cap (which, again, were all HEI)

Yes this works on HEI, but telling a points distributor apart is not so easy. There is an incorrect cap out there, but the notch and retainers line up different so you have to be pretty determined to install the wrong one. Hard to tell apart visually though.

The correct cap has evenly spaced terminals and normal contacts underneath, BUT the ROTOR is the weirdo. The correct Odd-fire rotors had a “wing” that trailed about 3/8”, this is how Buick caught the odd firing order cylinders and the more normal ones. They made the target bigger.

So so theoretically an even fire 231 could be found with points distributor using an even fire rotor, or a modified odd fire rotor, and it would run fine. By this point in time so many parts can be mix-matched by previous owners I hate to take anything for granted. Especially when trouble shooting.

And just to to add more fun to the circus, a pertronix conversion can be done incorrectly too. Apparently the reluctor ring with the flying magnets can be installed upside down, causing the passenger side to miss cylinders on some rotations. Easy fix, but hard to diagnose.

Here is a good read with pictures. Look closely at the caps and rotors, it’s subtle.http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index...s-side.108158/
    The points cam lobes are also different so make sure if you pull it out you remember which way the rotor was facing or even the wide tip rotor won't help you. TA Performance has a Mallory cap listed that actually has offset terminals and takes a standard rotor but whether they have it physically is a bigger question. I plan on 3D printing a nylon adapter to put a Volvo PRV V6 cap on my odd-fire points distributor for the destroker.

HEI's were offered in the 76-77 oddfire 231's.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Well, there are not any new holes after the washing. Some of the holes I knew about did grow a touch, but not as much as I expected. What is there is actually fairly solid - which simply means all the rusty bits have already fallen off I suppose.

I let it dry for a day before attempting to fire it up again. I really went full gonzo on the engine, and to my experience points distributors don't really appreciate a bath. This one surprised me by firing right up and settling into a high idle. If anything it may actually be idling a tad lower, which is good as the idle circuit is still largely inoperative.

Left it warm up fully to help cook off the residual moisture on the engine. Ordered up a cheapy 12 circuit wiring harness from Speedway for $140 yesterday. Might gut the heater core/box/ducting too. Being a Jeep the stock heater has a less than stellar reputation for performance, and guys have reported much improved heat output with a Summit heater conversion. Might go that route eventually, defrost is a handy thing if you like to see where you are going in Ohio.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Tube bumper goodness, and red glass packs! nice thing is most of the big holes are on flat portions of the sheetmetal, weld over a patch and dune on!
        I'll be interested to see what you think of the $140 harness - hard to beat the value proposition for a "trail rig"
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My thoughts exactly on the holes.

The harness....well, it simply has to be better than the cluster-bomb of spaghetti that Kaiser used in these new. Not to mention after 50 years of PO add-ons and splices. And its a simple vehicle after all. Hard part is going to be adapting the bulb holders in the reflectors. I am deep-sixing the factory switches, will gut the panel, add an aluminum plate with traditional switchgear. KISS is the rule here.

Comment

Can you go right to all LED lights? Trailer lights or semi trailer style lights for tails, LED bulbs for the headlights, nobody needs marker lights for a trail rig??? and a bank of LED fog lights behind the tube bumper.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Perhaps. Will be checking out the offerings at the big truck stops for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                My thoughts exactly on the holes.

The harness....well, it simply has to be better than the cluster-bomb of spaghetti that Kaiser used in these new. Not to mention after 50 years of PO add-ons and splices. And its a simple vehicle after all. Hard part is going to be adapting the bulb holders in the reflectors. I am deep-sixing the factory switches, will gut the panel, add an aluminum plate with traditional switchgear. KISS is the rule here.
                you did buy stock in a relay company, right? most of those cheap harnesses use 22ga or lighter wire so everything has to be run through a relay.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ordered Tuesday afternoon, received Thursday before noon. Good service Speedway.

Nice purple box too, lol.

The smallest wires I find in the harness have 19 strands in them, which if I remember correctly from my days at the wire harness assembly factory makes it a 20ga.

There are several 12ga wires in it, and a couple of 10ga in the starter circuit at first glance. Ignition switch from the Jeep matches the harness layout, again at first glance.

1' pigtails for the headlights, all wires printed on every 3"-4" with their purpose.

The last harness kit I bought for a Volkswagen was a nightmare. It was all there, and I made it work, but it took hours with a factory schematic and the kit spread out on the living room floor. No labeling whatsoever. No terminals either.

I am encouraged, so far this 12-circuit Speedway setup looks good, especially for what it costs.
                  Last edited by STINEY; October 2, 2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1215973Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1215974Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	1215975Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1215976
                    Last edited by STINEY; September 20, 2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• I'm pleased to see that someone is actually make decent wiring harnesses. Those fuses and holder look a bit whimpy but compared to everyone else, they're not bad. Nice buy.

Comment

• We will see. You know how sometimes simply holding something in your own hands can tell you if its junk? Well, this stuff feels good. So far so good.

Comment

• Please, please, please keep us posted on this process.

I have been eyeballing this kit for both the Fury and the D100 but have been hesitant to buy it. Neither will have anything more than the standard items. no super sound systems, subwoofers, glowing LED lights or the like. I just want the basics and this seems to be exactly what I want. I also looked at a company called Bare Bones but I think I have a little more faith in the Speedway parts simply due to reputation.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                            ... I think I have a little more faith in the Speedway parts simply due to reputation.
                            So what do you think Speedway's involvement in the creation of this wiring harness is beyond the pretty purple box?

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

So what do you think Speedway's involvement in the creation of this wiring harness is beyond the pretty purple box?
                              you mean beside the enslavement of the foreign workers and pillaging of the planet?
                              (I joke, I joke)

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Probably as much as any other industry that outsources their production. Which, by my limited knowledge isn't much.
                                Last edited by JOES66FURY; September 20, 2018, 02:39 PM.
                                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X