No announcement yet.

Good Cheap Tow Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 20 grand into the whole project, your dollars ahead and have a rig that will outlast many of us on this website.

You cant find a decent running truck with the Cummins for under 20. If you do it's got 350K or more on the clock.

Nice work!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
      With 20 grand into the whole project, your dollars ahead and have a rig that will outlast many of us on this website.

You cant find a decent running truck with the Cummins for under 20. If you do it's got 350K or more on the clock.

Nice work!
      HEY! I have 277K (+/-) and it runs better than ever. But I do take care of the ol' boy. LOVE my old Dodge.

Dan

Comment

Man your skills, patience, perserverance, and general sticktoitiveness is darned right impressive!

I'm starting to regret selling the 2001 crew cab 4x4 I rebuilt the engine in.....oh well - ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

This truck should serve you well until the end of time!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm driving a 25-year-old truck (more-or-less) and if in 20 years I were driving a 45-year-old truck that would be fine with me. I've got lots else I mean to do with cars yet and it would be great to have this backing me up and hopefully me not having to worry about it much. More odds-and-ends: I wanted locking tool storage bolted down to the floor so someone couldn't just walk off with everything at once. Dodge made a pretty generous area under the back seat but the shape available is odd so custom boxes were in order.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0339.JPG Views:	0 Size:	124.0 KB ID:	1307061

Installed:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0340.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.1 KB ID:	1307062

Also, radio installation which will look awful until I get around to making a face plate, if I ever do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0341.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.8 KB ID:	1307063

Pardon the dust. There is a little cubby to stick my MP3 player in to the right of the boost/egt/fuel-pressure gauges. Also almost visible, line-lock/hill holder on the shift knob, a 1970s mechanical trailer brake controller that was found new in the box that is my preferred type and works on my non-abs system, and the fuel valve uses a tractor pull-knob after I wearied of dealing with factory solenoid failures (getting out to open the hood and flip the fuel valve manually had become almost a routine). I did finally put all the plastic panels back in place.

So anyhow this may end my truck thread for awhile with being focused on other things. Joe's (from 'way back) and Dan's Dodge trucks were certainly inspiration for my wanting this one originally and thanks to all for comments. -Loren

Last edited by Loren; October 3, 2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

A pic of my radio installation - similar but different. I'm using an Edge tuner both as a tuner as for my extra gages. Oops - I though I had a pic with all the plastic back in place. Anyhow, it looks pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	854.8 KB
ID:	1307079

Dan

Comment

man do i miss the days when you could find 3/4 and 1 ton chevys, dodges, fords,
              and some weirdos like IH, fargo, studebakers, etc... in all configurations-2wd,
              4wd, excab, crew, standard, dually, etc... on any corner running and driving for
              like $2500. and they were carburated and had no computer controls of any type,
              so they were simple and reliable AND easy to fix..............

recently looked at a new K3500 crew 4x4, it was stickered at damn near $80k.......
              and it wasnt even a diesel. nope. nope, nope, nope, NOPE!

i feel so old and depressed now.....

Comment

Working...
              X