'78 Buick Regal Sport Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I disagree I feel it would be wrong NA but number of cylinders or engine type are not important.

I can see anything from a 2.0L Ecotec to a 6.2 LS motor. All with 30 lbs of boost 0

but I also think kids don't need fast cars.
    yes but - that 3.8 motor is the core of what CTX is suggestion.... meaning, it's a turbo away from greatness (and scattering that t5 into shooting stars)

I'll add this - if it had been an automatic, I probably would have bought it for the parts for my wagon
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 23, 2018, 05:49 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

hmmm - I struggle with this - Stiney has been doing this "Dad" thing longer than me, and I only have one boy, he's out numbered, so I try to learn from his fathering techniques often.
      I'm having a hard time with this one, the "be a good Dad" part of me says, run this thing NA for a while as the young driver comes up to speed with, well, driving, the anemic NA 3.8 V6 with highway gears in the rear axle is a good platform for learning drivers, IMHO (assuming no snow is on the pavement).

Part of me would like to ban all cell phone usage inside the car except for calling Mom or Dad's phone, and make that only possible with the shifter in Park.....

The other part of me says, let the turbo eat all it wants, and let the young driver make the painful mistakes that are inevitable, and do so sooner than later, so the maturity that comes from such experiences will come sooner instead of later, and he'll come to understand first hand how much it costs in both money and time, to rebuild a power plant after it goes BOOM
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

hmmm......thing is, Lee most likely came with the same owners manual Will and Wes did. Still looking for that, by the way.

And onwards - the driver side windshield washer nozzle was broken. We made a new one from copper oil pressure gauge line. Not sure how the spray pattern will work, preliminary testing by taking a drink of water and spitting it out the new nozzle do not have a good pattern.

But its better than what he had. Strive for 95%, achieve 85%, live happy. Does it do the job, if so, move on. We have bigger hills to conquer!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wuT03Bp.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	1219129

Name:	E9MF4MP.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1219128

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

My kids are pushing 40,,(38-36). Both got derby cars before they got road cars. Mac allowed 16 yr olds to derby with the big boys and my daughter's first time out was 2nd.. Son came so close. He had the BBB she had a 400 in a Malibu wagon.
          Both drove by 10 yrs old.. I'm pretty positive Stiney's kids have as much of "hot lapping" as anybody on here. I really doubt they be happy just riding in the dunes..
          The Regal is a forgiving platform..
          The Buick 3.8 is a pretty good motor. Vastly underappreciated
          Turbo on these cars are pretty smooth.. Not like a hard downshift on snowy roads.
          Teach and encourage, rather than them experimenting and blowing stuff up..
          I have 15% and 10% of hearing in my ears.. If I hear something..it is LOUD.. big thrill for me? Standing on the bull chutes and hearing/feeling the kids hit the hi revs.. They stand out. Scream. I watch their flappers on their exhaust. Point is. Teach, explain, show..it all will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            hmmm - I struggle with this - Stiney has been doing this "Dad" thing longer than me, and I only have one boy, he's out numbered, so I try to learn from his fathering techniques often.
            I'm having a hard time with this one, the "be a good Dad" part of me says, run this thing NA for a while as the young driver comes up to speed with, well, driving, the anemic NA 3.8 V6 with highway gears in the rear axle is a good platform for learning drivers, IMHO (assuming no snow is on the pavement).

Part of me would like to ban all cell phone usage inside the car except for calling Mom or Dad's phone, and make that only possible with the shifter in Park.....

The other part of me says, let the turbo eat all it wants, and let the young driver make the painful mistakes that are inevitable, and do so sooner than later, so the maturity that comes from such experiences will come sooner instead of later, and he'll come to understand first hand how much it costs in both money and time, to rebuild a power plant after it goes BOOM
            let's take the Dad level up two notches. In either case, those motors are 150, 175, or 200 if turbo'd. With the turbo it makes the noise but really doesn't have the speed. Once he's fully understanding of how it works, he can turn it up to about 350 before it starts blowing pistons out the bottom of the motor. That's still less then a Camry - but at that point he can invest in making it a 750 - 1000 hp monster but by then he'll understand just what it takes to feed that beast and is quite unlikely to do things to destroy it..... I don't believe in giving kids too much hp, but if they build it? 2000 isn't unreasonable because they know what it takes to get there and are far less likely to be a chump.

Growing up, the kids that killed stuff were the ones whose parents gave them everything.... the ones who built them? rarely and if they did it was not through careless action. I think a job as a parent is to teach them to handle it; not prohibit it.... which flies in the face of my dad's teaching (whom I love a great deal)

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one to make windshield washer nozzles from whatever metal tubing I had around, I think mine was on a 80 olds 88 and I made a replacement from the smallest brake lines I had around - at first it did a good job of cleaning the windshield on the car behind me, a slight bend and it was perfect.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Had one taped to my door mirror, aimed towards the oncoming lane.. It only sprayed when thumb on button.. Liked to spray open windows and tops dropped cars. Watch the snobs react in disgust.. It's just WATER folks.

Comment

When I was a kid we had a '67 Chev wagon w/ the rear-facing third seat and some times Dad would let the window be down, one day a van pulled behind us at a light and had it's washer nozzles facing out and forward, and the guy and his girlfriend sat there spraying me and laughing the whole time. Auto-Squirt-Gun. As Bob says, it's just water, but it was hard to not feel part-panic with the part-humor.

Comment

Will turned 16 last month, took his driving test this past Saturday morning and passed handily. For his birthday us parental units bought him some new tires to replace the weather-checked BF Goodrich Radial TAs up front. Well, they are on order anyways. His coach told him that dropping off the wheels to be mounted and balanced would be a better plan, as that allows him to inspect the brake pads, rotors, ball-joints, etc while they are off - - AND most importantly allow the owner/driver to torque his own lug nuts PROPERLY.

The air-wrench jockey at the tire shop will not be there at the side of the road when you are trying to loosen the lugs on a flat tire. Plus that typical overtightening stresses, weakens, and breaks wheel studs.

Will properly utilizing jack-stands. And playing around with GNX style rims. He is coming around to them after seeing them on the car, the smirk was undeniable.

Name:	AU5NHbv.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	1230399

And what I found during my undercar inspection. Really? Missing trans mount bolts? Sheeesh.....

Name:	7rgPDxG.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	1230398

Comment

no 3 ugga duggas?

Comment

As Dad I feel the need to warn him against the overuse of Ugga Duggas. Learning the hard way may set him back a decade or so.

Comment

I would have thought corrosion would be more an issue there then overuse of the ugga duggas

Comment

Normally yes. This is not a typical car for these parts though. There are pieces of G-body goodness on it I have not seen since high school.

Inspection revealed new rotors, bearings and pads recently. Bonus again.

Comment

nice, so when are you installing the J-turn brake (aka drift brake)

Comment

Hear no evil, hear no evil, hear no evil........... so far as he knows there is no such thing. Any extra handles are dual action and are used for supplementary steering in the sand, and can double as a manual posi-traction unit.

J-turn? Who has been hooptied here? The correct terminology is "pulling a Rockford".

In other news, Mark my preferred tire shop owner called this morning. A pair of 225/70R14 Bf Goodrich Radial TA have been mounted and are ready for pickup. That size equates to 8.8" wide by 26.5" tall, at least on paper.

Hope they look right on it. Crossing fingers.
                                Last edited by STINEY; February 6, 2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X