No announcement yet.

'78 Buick Regal Sport Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheryl, lol. Just call me Zachary man.

Just had the house insulation topped off too. Definitely getting soft.........or smarter.......maybe both.....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
      Cheryl, lol. Just call me Zachary man.

Just had the house insulation topped off too. Definitely getting soft.........or smarter.......maybe both.....
      you know, you and I are probably the only people on this side of the Pacific who get the reference....

of course you're soft, it's what jealous people say when their shop isn't insulated.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

you know, you and I are probably the only people on this side of the Pacific who get the reference....

of course you're soft, it's what jealous people say when their shop isn't insulated.
        1) I get it, too. State Farm, isn't it?

2) I wish we had Amish folks here. I've been looking for someone to line the inside of the shop in 1/2" aluminum foil wrapped foam board but so far no takers. The shop IS insulated but not as much as I'd like it to be.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; February 22, 2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

1) I get it, too. State Farm, isn't it?

2) I wish we had Amish folks here. I've been looking for someone to line the inside of the shop in 1/2" aluminum foil wrapped foam board but so far no takers. The shop IS insulated but not as much as I'd like it to be.

Dan
          1) Might Car Mods
          2) in the list of do-overs on my shop, I wish I had gone with insulation first - I thought I'd be good and bury the wiring in the walls with spray foam but by the time the wiring was done, there was so much stuff in the shop that spray insulating became too much work.

Comment

• This She-Shed is just barely started, lots of stuff on the build list. Drains, insulation under slab, the slab itself, and trenching power in are 2019 summer jobs. Winter 2019 is wall insulation and interior walls, plus a 16x40 loft on the far end.

There is already a disco/party light on a dedicated circuit in both the main bay and the loft area, so those are ready.

Comment

• Will added the cast iron wear plate to the oil pump assembly this past weekend. Reassembly here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	imOZSO2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1234350

Packing with petroleum jelly, aka vaseline.

Name:	mXY2rg9.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1234351

Told him to pack it full. Think he nailed it.

Name:	EMV4l0T.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	1234352

Comment

• those work admirably to bring oil pressure back up

Comment

• What was not so picture worthy was the timing lesson.

He was asking about the function of the TurboControlCenter on the fan shroud. The internet says it can be tested by tapping on the engine with a hammer and listening to the idle speed change as the box retards the timing. The theory is the hammer taps stimulate the knock sensor.

Well, we tried this. Actual hammer impact site was the big beefy bracket that holds the air condition compressor and alternator, and bolts directly to the front of the engine and the intake manifold bolts. The knock sensor is in the intake manifold on this particular year of the turbo cars.

No discernable effect. We decided to use the timing light to watch for retardation of the box. THAT opened a can of worms.

Cleaned the timing tab area well back when we changed the water pump. Still clean, so after giving the notch on the dampener a fresh blop of white paint we fired up the light.

No notch visible. Not in the timing tab window, not below the tab, not above the tab. That's not cool. I can tell from how it starts warm that the ignition is advanced, so I explain this to Will and have him look up which way the rotor turns normally and which cylinder is #1. ( I know these, but the point is teaching, not simple lecturing. This includes such things as letting him round off a few lug nuts to learn WHY the correct size socket is an important detail.)

He comes back with clockwise and front left. Perfect. So explaining why that means advancing the spark was a anti-clockwise movement of the distributor, and that means we must go clockwise to correct, we have a plan of action.

We look at the Jeepster Commando so the poor kid has a chance of knowing where the locking tab is on his engine (that turbo version packs a LOT of extra stuff around everything, especially with all the emissions still in place.) Loosen the tab, grab the distributor cap and OOPS!

The cap has NONE of the four retention clips engaged. Seriously. The emission junk does a pretty good job of retaining it, and finding the clips is difficult, but really? We engage the clips......

Name:	WZFQyJP.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1234577

And dig out the big wrench to turn the distributor. Yeah, its tight. Really tight. We can't get a good angle on the wrench, but with him pulling and me pushing we get it to move some. Check for that white mark with the timing light again, nope. Move distributor some more, check again, repeat.

And it finally shows itself - at the very top of the dampener. Still outside the timing tab window. The book and the car sticker call for 15° btdc, and the tab is marked from 10-20°. All of which means that this engine was advanced in the 40-50° range, BEFORE the vacuum advance can kicks in. Yikes! No wonder I heard some pinging on 3/4 throttle acceleration.

Its back to spec now. Haven't went for a drive yet, but it sounds happier and starts easier warm. Hopefully it still drives well, we made a big change.
                  Last edited by STINEY; February 27, 2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    those work admirably to bring oil pressure back up
                    I sinned by not having a gauge BEFORE the plate addition, still do not but it is on the punch list. I figured it would either fix a pump issue or prevent a pump issue, and either of those is desirable to us.

The plan was to add a tee to the factory sending unit location, making a good spot for our aftermarket electric gauge sending unit. What I did not realize was that Buick ALREADY installed a tee there, and is picking up the oil feed for the turbo there. That space is getting fairly crowded now.

I am now thinking of adding a tee to the connection of the oil feed to the turbo, up on top of the engine. More space there, easier to access by miles......anyone see an issue with this?

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

I am now thinking of adding a tee to the connection of the oil feed to the turbo, up on top of the engine. More space there, easier to access by miles......anyone see an issue with this?
                      Figuring that the pressure gauge is basically a dead end (oil never really goes anywhere) I can't see why this wouldn't be fine. I have a single T in my Nova to run the gauge and the factory light.
                      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                      79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• From this to this. Not easy to align 3 pieces when each is attached to now-deformed rubber mounts.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by STINEY; February 28, 2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Drove it to work today, then to the bank, back home for hvac guy meetup, back to work again. That's 60 miles so far just today.

It starts at the blip of a key. Runs nicely, no audible detonation now. Both turbo lights will come on, if you give it a little time to build boost.

Added a quart to the TH350, brought it right to the mark. Can smell a bit of ATF now, and no, I did not spill any. Will check that out.

Still has that annoying intermittent knocking/ticking noise. It is more noticable inside the car. From outside it gets mixed in with the other normal engine noises. I still notice it, but others don't sometimes and at others it stands out.

Alignment appointment next, then I think its time to turn Will loose with it.

I like the 225/70R14s on the back. There are other sizes that look better on these, but for a stock rim they work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rXhL9Lw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	274.5 KB ID:	1234733
                          Last edited by STINEY; February 28, 2019, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• put a real boost gauge on it. that ticking sound could be the turbo. bad things happen when turbo parts leave the turbine..... with a boost gauge, you're looking for fluctuating boost - if the needle wobbles at all, check the turbo shaft for looseness

Comment

• Roger that. Gauges are next up after alignment. Boost, oil pressure, coolant temperature, and maybe voltmeter. Might skip on the voltmeter.

Comment

• I bought a functional boost gage at Harbor Freight for cheap. I used it measure pressure differential (my turbo builder wanted that info) and it seemed to work fine. I have a better one in the dash on Mutt.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X