'78 Buick Regal Sport Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    That's a clean car, tell him Congrats, and 350's fall in there just like they were designed... oh wait, they were kind of designed around the corporate v8. lol. I remember these, had an '80 MC with the carbed 3.8 turbo. Lag measured in city blocks. Nitrous should help that problem. You know, or he could just drive it and enjoy it. I also remember the cars as being fun to drive and comfortable. (you can tell I'm getting old, I just said "Comfortable" like it should matter.)
    funny you mention comfort. Kid is 6’'4"” at 15........so he pretty much folds himself into today’s cars. The Coupe, well he can just GET in without the clown car act deal. So yeah, it does matter here. Thanks man.

I know the turbo lights are pretty much a running joke. They come on at what? 3# and 6#? Whatever it is, I had both of them lit in 100 yards. It was making boost for certain, never had our old Regal pulling like that. Doesn’t seem laggy, not a light switch setup for sure, but it comes on when you ask it too.

Maybe someone tweaked it already. No sign of the typical waste gate rod modification, and it still has what appears to be the original pellet converter. The whole car seems very original for that matter.
    Last edited by STINEY; October 5, 2018, 12:30 PM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

A very capable ride that, properly maintained, will provide respectable performance and mileage for a beginning driver and performance enthusiast!
      try tweaking the exhaust a bit to let the turbo spool quicker....

not sure if it will fit, but the late model Bonneville shift handle has a nice feel to it.... we replaced the handle in the bullet with one....like the thumb trigger much better than the squeeze latch...
      Last edited by silver_bullet; September 6, 2018, 05:25 AM.
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I second RatPatrol's uncle. IF (and that's a big "if") the boy wants more HP in the future I'd do a 455 w/aftermarket high-compression aluminum heads and more cam (Buick went with an old-man-cruiser cam in those, except the Gran Sports). The 455 will make HP but more importantly all the torque you can handle - just the thing for a street ride. Either way he has a GREAT car and it should be a ton of fun.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          you guys started it... Intercooling is a misnomer anyway unless you happen to have multiple boost producers and your intercooler in the middle... I suppose if you want to get really pedantic and call atmospheric "boost" it could be called an intercooler, but.. and I've gone cross eyed.

That's a clean car, tell him Congrats, and 350's fall in there just like they were designed... oh wait, they were kind of designed around the corporate v8. lol. I remember these, had an '80 MC with the carbed 3.8 turbo. Lag measured in city blocks. Nitrous should help that problem. You know, or he could just drive it and enjoy it. I also remember the cars as being fun to drive and comfortable. (you can tell I'm getting old, I just said "Comfortable" like it should matter.)
          Deep thoughts, man, I'm impressed.... of course, it fits quite well within the Bangshift subject shift of which we all are so proud to partake.

we're all struggling with a name for the motor that's in his son's car. It's not a hot air motor, it's not a GNX motor, it's something else. But at least now we know that we're calling intercoolers AND his motor something wrong.

The other big deal about those motors is they are breathtakingly expensive to rebuild.... and you do need to perform an catectomy - turbos do not like downstream restriction. Of course, you'll then need to think about re-jetting that quadrajet because turbos do not like lean conditions....
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 6, 2018, 07:51 AM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

We could call it Fred? Is everyone OK with Fred? I am way more into understanding content than labels anyways, as long as the concept is transferred from person to person then effective communication happened.

Onwards.....as you can tell from the snow on the ground he got it last winter. The water pump was so bad the ends of the fan could move well over an inch, pushing two inches. Yet no leaks. Horrible noise though.

I coach, he feex.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gfq2cEW.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	655.7 KB
ID:	1214626

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jmqk7M9.jpg Views:	2 Size:	738.4 KB ID:	1214628
              Last edited by STINEY; September 6, 2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Some engine shots

Name:	mftnSBs.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	688.5 KB
ID:	1214630

Comment

Name:	9wYV536.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	577.1 KB
ID:	1214632

Comment

Name:	Tutcahi.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	590.5 KB
ID:	1214634

Comment

That smile says it all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	JXozM07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	634.4 KB ID:	1214636
                      Last edited by STINEY; September 6, 2018, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Name:	wcesP0z.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	543.0 KB
ID:	1214638

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                          A very capable ride that, properly maintained, will provide respectable performance and mileage for a beginning driver and performance enthusiast!
                          try tweaking the exhaust a bit to let the turbo spool quicker....

not sure if it will fit, but the late model Bonneville shift handle has a nice feel to it.... we replaced the handle in the bullet with one....like the thumb trigger much better than the squeeze latch...
                          That's the idea. Get something that is very cool in comparison to the rest of the school parking lot, functional, needs some basic work that he can learn by doing himself without being so involved he loses interest.

We found a place selling G-Body parts that had the clip to hold the shifter on. Expensive little bugger at $15 + shipping.

Got the shifter cleaned up and back on. This actually HAS the thumb trigger? I know the squeeze latch you are referring to, and yeah, the thumb trigger is lots more cool.

Name:	s5s0SRz.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1214641

Comment

Interior is in very good condition. Detail clean and fix headliner are currently being worked on.

Name:	65lz5q4.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	698.9 KB
ID:	1214643

Comment

Ditch as much of the smog garbage as feasible....put a better carb on it...Holley 4175 or BG street demon...
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

efi would fix what ails it. In my Skyhawk, it was the carb that killed the motor. One side got plugged, ran lean for just a little bit and poof - no mosquitos for 300 miles around Reno.
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X