'78 Buick Regal Sport Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post

Is this picture from GM Heritage museum?
    Iirc, I've seen it there...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Cool first car. So when do you coach him on driver door hinge pin bushing r&r?
      Guessing here that they are shot like most gm heavy as hell 2 doors.
      Now that g body 3rd petals are repopped, it might be worth looking while at yards for a f body with a 3800 and a 5speed. and snagg'n the 5 speed.
      Back seat as soft as the living room chairs, yup better than a cramped civic.
      Last edited by Eric; October 5, 2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Amazingly the door hinges are great, and at first glance do not appear to have been worked on.

There is some uncertainty as to the odometer reading. It shows 19,000, and while most likely it would mean 119,000 with the age of the car - I am not convinced. There are simply too many small signs of VERY low mileage. Like the door hinges, and the brake pedal pad has nearly no wear, and the fact that this is a local car since new and I have NEVER seen it around on the roads, ever.

If it weren't for the drooping headliner and rotten plastic bumper filler panels it could be detailed up to pass for a 2 or 3 year old car. Its that nice. So I wonder on the mileage.

Ohio in general and our local BMV are bad for marking titles as "odometer reading exceeded" (which this one has been marked) so I put little faith in that. Its up to you to prove that it has NOT been exceeded, usually not worth the effort.
        Last edited by STINEY; October 9, 2018, 07:25 AM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

On the headliner - When Mom was in FL there were folks who advertised headliner replacement in the back of the TV Guide magazines that came with the Sunday newspaper (remember "newspapers"?). Anyhow, hers was afloppin' and I called one of those guys - $100 and he came to the house. It looked great when done. Not sure if that service is still available but it's worth a look. In fact, Truck needs his done so I think I'll check locally and see what I find......

Dan

Comment

1980's g.m. headliners are most times cardboard like backer , thin foam, then the material.
            I'd think the 78-81 a body is the same as the later g body and not the old cross bow bars holding it up.
            The headliner needs the old foam removed, and then new glued to the backer. , then material ,if you want the oem look,
            Getting all the foam off the material is an issue,
            But they make replacement, or get some at a local shop and have at it.

If the hinges have not been touched (nail point of pin still facing up) Then I highly doubt 119k.
            You'd have to be religious with cleaning them with brake clean then lubing them with every 3k oil change.
            You might want to replace the carb float, as the original most likely will sink once ethanol mixed fuel starts running through it.
            I'd wonder if they got a brass float. Maybe a question to ask on turbo buick forum.
            Didn't read the whole thread, but have the valve cover gaskets been done.
            I haven't had a turbo buick, but many carb'd 231 buick powered cars and they all needed cover gaskets.
            They make adapters to put 6x9's in place of the 4x10's in the rear.
            Again nice first car.
            I'm assuming it has tilt, are the bolts still tight, or the wheel flopping.
            Add a kill switch of some type, and tell him to tell or show no one.
            The frameless door windows and tilt still make these a joyriders dream.
            Sadly the carguard column guard is long since disco's.
            Last edited by Eric; October 5, 2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Dampness here in OR droops many headliners!
              I have 3 needing attention...
              Jives with Stokes' Florida headliner..
              I'd do them if I could crawl around!

Comment

This could be the answer: https://www.stockinteriors.com/HeadlinerBoard.asp?Itemid=23455&ModelId=31
                Last edited by silver_bullet; October 6, 2018, 10:22 AM.
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  Cool first car. So when do you coach him on driver door hinge pin bushing r&r?
                  Guessing here that they are shot like most gm heavy as hell 2 doors.
                  Now that g body 3rd petals are repopped, it might be worth looking while at yards for a f body with a 3800 and a 5speed. and snagg'n the 5 speed.
                  Back seat as soft as the living room chairs, yup better than a cramped civic.
                  Why just grab the 5spd? It's really just a Ford WC T-5 with some GM bits to make it fit. Also if doing the trouble of going to a manual, just put the whole L36 in there, much better engine and they will take boost if you don't go crazy. There are tonnes of L67's floating around to pirate the critical bits of the stronger internals from.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                    Why just grab the 5spd? It's really just a Ford WC T-5 with some GM bits to make it fit. Also if doing the trouble of going to a manual, just put the whole L36 in there, much better engine and they will take boost if you don't go crazy. There are tonnes of L67's floating around to pirate the critical bits of the stronger internals from.
                    Yes agreed, but sometimes it is good to keep it simple stupid. it is a kids 1st car. I remember my first car, and mine had more power than I should've been handed the keys too. the 231 in there, is a good start, but maybe not. Maybe dad and kid would be up for that swap and the wiring headache.
                    Don't know them. So I won't guess.

I wish the front drive 3800 s/c was an easy swap onto the f body 90* 3800 engine. iirc the front drive ones are 60* pattern and rear drive are the old 90* v

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      I wish the front drive 3800 s/c was an easy swap onto the f body 90* 3800 engine. iirc the front drive ones are 60* pattern and rear drive are the old 90* v
                      The hang up usually is the L67 intake points back under the cowl or into the firewall on RWD applications. I've heard there are differences in the crank flange for putting a flywheel off of a L36 onto an L67 but never tried it personally. For the most part they are identical, both use the Metric60 bellhousing.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

What do these hinges say to you guys?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pNUwe8o.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1217665

Name:	QcjCjIa.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1217664

Comment

And speaking of hinges - finally retrieved the clip and special washer from the deep dark recesses of the inner fender of the Grand Prix. Clip was wedged in between the plastic inner fender and the outer steel fender (why no rust hole there? Really?) The washer actually bounced INTO the frame next to that large hole where the body mount is. Yep, right next to a 4" hole but it couldn't fall OUT of said hole. Oh well, all is good now.

Name:	q3ZyBHT.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1217667

Had to drill a new 1/2" hole in front of existing slotted hole. Slotted hole was in Grand Prix and Regal both for the clip to install, but only the Grand Prix had the actual bolt hole to utilize when the clip is slid forwards. Weird.

Name:	BqhdtEM.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	1217668

And both Hobbs switches for the Turbo Lights had to come out to give clearance for the new hood spring to swing forwards. There seems to be enough wiring and vacuum line length to reinstall them forwards several inches of where they were. Not sure what that 3rd switch thing is, but it will be relocated forwards as well.

And found a copper windshield washer squirter nozzle broken on the driver side. Anyone have a spare laying around? The Grand Prix is quite different here and its already missing one.

Comment

Hinges look original to me.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Name:	pNUwe8o.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1217665

Name:	QcjCjIa.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1217664
                              That your doors were blown off by a Ford!

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

]
                                untouched and unopened

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

That your doors were blown off by a Ford!
                                that's not saying anything, that turbo motor would lose to a Huffy.
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X