No announcement yet.

'78 Buick Regal Sport Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check that the T doesn't have a restrictor in it to limit oil flow to the turbo. Being a journal bearing turbo I would expect full flow and pressure there but worth thinking about.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Excellent point. I know what you are talking about, some of them have quite a choke point in them.

Alignment scheduled for Wednesday. Picking up new vacuum modulator today.

Got a new OE style muffler installed Saturday - seems to limit boost somewhat as the little lights don't come on as easily. Not unexpected, just reporting my observations.

The heater works nice though. My first cars were Beetles and Jeeps, so a bit of jealousy on my part is natural.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• The new boost-limiter.....err...I mean muffler. We read on BeforeBlack.net that an easy hop-up was to remove the muffler, we sort of went the opposite direction but it did prove the theory.

No matter, Will wanted quiet and he is satisfied. I could see this changing at some point though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	COwQR7O.jpg Views:	1 Size:	152.0 KB ID:	1237051

The alignment turned into needing a new center link. That explains the "notchiness" to the steering.

Its all Over-Boosted steering perfection now though.

The car was low on ATF for some reason when we brought it home. Took a quart to bring it up to FULL HOT on the stick. I drove it to work and back 35 miles, and checking again showed it a quart low - below the hash marks and barely on the stick. No leaks on the concrete at work (part of the reason I drove it there, parking pad makes a great leak checker) so I instantly assumed a bad vacuum modulator on the TH350. Bought a new adjustable one and had Will do his jackstand thing once again.

We checked the new one with our Mity-Vac, then checked the old one while still on the car. Both held 20 for 10 minutes, and the car line did not drip any ATF when the hose was pulled.

Hmmm. We left the old one in place, as it seems to be working fine. Third gear is always right on time, never early or late, so the missing ATF was me overreacting. We topped it off again and he has been checking it every day after coming home from X-Country running. 5 days later and it is holding steady. Must have simply been 2 quarts low, yikes!

Click image for larger version  Name:	g3QUucC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	162.3 KB ID:	1237052
        Last edited by STINEY; March 14, 2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• And so ends this particular chapter.

Both boys are okay, was not driving stupidly (his brother would have ratted him out on that front) but the Buick was severely hurt by a pickup towing an enclosed trailer full of bees.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fDxn4ti.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	1242220

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja1IKeC.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	1242219

Comment

• ah, man........... sorry.
            big picture--main thing your kiddos are ok, you can buy/build another car.
            still sucks though !

Comment

• OOOWWWcchh. That sucks.

Comment

• I'm so glad you're kids are safe. Not so glad the other driver is.... okay, I'm glad, but I have some very negative thoughts towards him.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• That just sucks. Tell your guys we hope they get something even cooler (though the Regal will be hard to beat).

Dan

Comment

• Thanks guys.

The poor thing still fired right up and idled its way into the barn after being deposited in the drive by the rollback.

Drivetrain runs great (of course this would happen after the tick gremlins were vanquished), nice interior, am curious what he decides to do with it.........

Maybe the Austin Healey needs a turbo V6?

Maybe we should chain it to the shop floor, and beat it back into a semblence of straightness? MadMax some offroad headlights onto the front, replace the a-arms and give it the come-along-and-a tree treatment to the front fender?

It would be driveable again.

Do girls still dig MadMax rides? Should I care?

Getting weird here - been a long day.
                    Last edited by STINEY; May 7, 2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Liking the Austin Healey idea, but will need the T5 from an s10 iirc......tell the boy to keep his chin up!
                      maybe a t bucket done lotus 7 style?
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Maybe just a different rust free g body?
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                          Maybe just a different rust free g body?
                          We are all ears........

Comment

• Oh man.. What a kick in the teeth..
                            Another rust free body amd swap over!

Comment

• Should I keep my eyes open for a good body? They tend to hold up pretty well around here.

Dan

Comment

• Here's a maybe near us. Joe Roberts lives in Fayetteville.

Comment

Working...
                                X