'78 Buick Regal Sport Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Should I keep my eyes open for a good body? They tend to hold up pretty well around here.

Dan
    Wow, that is really RED! It would be appreciated muchly Dan. Have trailer, will travel and all that.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Going to be some differences being an '84 (body and frame changes for '81) but most of it should move over.

Glad to hear they were not hurt and were not the victim of their own foolishness in the car ending up like that. Pleases me to no end hearing about responsible kids even if how I hear about them is when stuff like this happens and it is quickly ruled out.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• I've got a new-not-in-box but never mounted/molested core support for a '79 Malibu. How much different could it be from the other g-bodies. I bought the thing for a project in '97-8 and never used it. The car got cut into little pieces and deposited in the dumpster behind what was at the time called the Fraiser Arms Musuem. The project manager never could figure out who would dump a car in his dumpster. It was a rust bucket and I was going through a divorce.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• Well, that's another thing about cars that aren't rusted out they hold up better in crashes . Glad the boys are fine .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Wow, that is really RED! It would be appreciated muchly Dan. Have trailer, will travel and all that.
            Yes, it IS red! Not sure on the price - I suspect the guy is trying to pay for the paint job.

Dan

Comment

• very much not cool, but in the long run probably a very valuable lesson for the boys, and perhaps an early adjustment to the typical young male immortal outlook in general.

I like the see if we can make it straight approach... at least try - that's another good lesson to see how metal moves.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Red would be easier to see !
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                  very much not cool, but in the long run probably a very valuable lesson for the boys, and perhaps an early adjustment to the typical young male immortal outlook in general.

I like the see if we can make it straight approach... at least try - that's another good lesson to see how metal moves.
                  You have read my mind. Am meeting a fellow from the Detroit area this morning to pickup a straight trunk lid. He was traveling with his wife to North Carolina today, and his path goes within 30 miles of our place. He graciously offered to bring it along - has had it in storage for 30 years.

It can serve as a guide to attempt to massage things back into some kind of shape. It is already apparent that the right rear quarter has moved to the left at least 3 inches.

We shall see.

Comment

• Fixing it will definitely be a great project for the boys. A tree and chain will go a long way as will a HF Porta-Power (I use mine a lot).

Dan

Comment

• I have tie-downs poured into my shop floor that are extremely handy for jobs like this.

Picked up a good trunk lid this morning. Bonus: its even aluminum like the original.

super-light weight.
                      Last edited by STINEY; May 9, 2019, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Where would you start Dan?

The right quarter is pushed to the right 3”. The rest you can see in the picture. My instinct says to chain the frame in front of the rear tires to the floor, and apply jack pressure upwards to the left frame rail slowly, watching what all happens.

Would unbolting the body mounts first first be a good idea or a bad one in your opinion? I am thinking leave them alone until things are closer to where they belong, then separate and do final movement.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	X3IoAbs.jpg Views:	1 Size:	183.9 KB ID:	1242431

Original paint. Or what's left of it. Underside is beautiful....topside is non-existant. Some brutal weather in South Hutchinson Kansas?

Click image for larger version  Name:	wcTF3Ow.jpg Views:	1 Size:	151.6 KB ID:	1242430

Click image for larger version  Name:	iHdEFoL.jpg Views:	2 Size:	164.2 KB ID:	1242429
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by STINEY; May 10, 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Where would you start Dan?

The right quarter is pushed to the right 3”. The rest you can see in the picture. My instinct says to chain the frame in front of the rear tires to the floor, and apply jack pressure upwards to the left frame rail slowly, watching what all happens.

Would unbolting the body mounts first first be a good idea or a bad one in your opinion? I am thinking leave them alone until things are closer to where they belong, then separate and do final movement.
                            I'd proceed along the path you're thinking. Another alternative is to see if you can get lucky and find a guy with a frame rack who will do the pulling for you and who will let the boys watch - I had an ol' boy in Ypsilanti, MI like that. It was (IIRC $100 or so and was money well spent (that was a while ago so probably twice that these days). They can chain the straight places to the rack and pull the bent parts.

If you want to try it at home look at how it folded up and pull opposite that. You'll probably want to chain the part that's still where it belongs so it retains the car in place then pull on the bent parts until they look like they're where they belong. That's where it pays to have the replacement body panels so you can pull until they fit again - actually a pretty good template. You may need to apply heat here and there to get the bends to release but given a chance metal likes to return to its original shape.

Best of luck on this - great project!

Dan

Comment

• Going tomorrow to pick up a complete front clip in Mid-Michigan.

Looks like my lawn is going to be self-mowing again this year. Hehe.....

Comment

• Not sure how I missed this thread, but I am caught up now!

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Working...
                                X