No announcement yet.

'78 Buick Regal Sport Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TH400 crossmember with fframe extension added.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IjrnJyF.jpg Views:	1 Size:	248.1 KB ID:	1248413
    Click image for larger version  Name:	aqD83SF.jpg Views:	1 Size:	263.5 KB ID:	1248414
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IYstbo2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	308.5 KB ID:	1248415

Getting the '71 Tempest 3:55 posi 21-bolt swapped in with an old SouthSideMachine swap kit. Fabbed upper and lower arms with rear lower arm relocating holes. Lift Bars is what they called them IIRC. Or was is NoHop Bars?

Last edited by STINEY; August 5, 2019, 08:22 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Good nose hitter car, see why rear is "soft"? No final crossmember...
      Can build one or use parts of a reciever hitch system. (bracing) for a little more peace of mind.
      I would since it is that far apart..

One trick we use is a chain between the second set of body mounts. The holes for the chain bolts and access is already built in.. Chain keeps the rails out of the tires... Yes. Basically a derby move..

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Good nose hitter car, see why rear is "soft"? No final crossmember...
        Can build one or use parts of a reciever hitch system. (bracing) for a little more peace of mind.

One trick we use is a chain between the second set of body mounts. The holes for the chain bolts and access is already built in.. Chain keeps the rails out of the tires... Yes. Basically a derby move..
        given the way his son drives, those are probably all good ideas
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

I do plan on adding a rear crossmember. The GNX got that IIRC.

You lost me on the chain between second set. #2 as in the mounts under the A-pillar? Does the chain go over or under the transmission?

Or are we talking the second pair in from the rear?

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

You lost me on the chain between second set. #2 as in the mounts under the A-pillar? Does the chain go over or under the transmission?

The rear.. When you hit the frame at the corner, it. Pushes the top of the "box" onto the tire at the bottom of the hump.. Because at the corner, the bumper will stay relatively straight.. "down the line" is that upper corner. About 4-6 inches from the 2nd rear puck towards the humps should have a 3/4" hole on the inside and 3" or so on the outside.

Comment

• I'll have to look later and see if I can find a pic..
              Lately we been running 03 ishy Crown Vics converted to leaf rears.
              The chain trick is for coil cars.

Comment

GNX got an extra cross member as part of the torque arm rear suspension with an added body mount and a brace behind the rear seat. I think Gbodyparts and/or Kirbans sells repos. If they are still in business, been a number of years since I seriously looked for G-body parts.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Planning to add all of those braces, plus the ones to link the upper and lower front arm mounting points on the frame.

Paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zFJX7P9.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	1249204

And playing with rim back spacing and tire size.

Name:	shZD8El.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	1249205

Name:	oSlnxk8.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	1249206

Comment

• poly so the bees will get hit harder? too soon?

Comment

• Bees will never know what hit them this time around. Evil little pollen-bandits anyways.

Harvest commences.

Name:	FuFNCG0.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	1249373

Going to take it in as big a chunk as possible with as little disconnecting as possible. It runs great, why disturb it more than necessary?

Name:	vV8G4ta.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	1249374

Hmmmm.......hydroboost.....hmmm.....

Name:	JgTrTxz.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	1249375

This 3+3 quad cab truck has really rusty rockers, but seems to be very low miles. Odometer shows 48,000 and it is coming apart rather nicely so far.

Anyone upset about us killing a clean title '86 square-body 3+3 is free to make an offer on it. Build your own ramp truck?

Can't remember the last time I saw an intact factory jack setup complete with plastic holder. Neat stuff.

Name:	BofmomJ.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	1249376

Attached Files

Comment

• nice

Comment

• Are all hydroboosts' created equal I wonder? The TurboBuick crowd likes to adapt Astro units to the G-body - I wonder how the squarebody unit compares.

Tried to look up '86 Astro application part numbers on RockAuto, but am not finding the Hydroboost listed as a replacement part under power brake booster.

I do find the '86 truck unit available from Cardone 527307 #14055057 and ACDelco 14pb4147 #19286847 for $130

Anyone know what years Astros used Hydroboost?
                          Last edited by STINEY; August 8, 2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• I used the stock hydroboost when I converted my '80 to BBB power (it came with a Diesel). That worked great but I don't know how it would have worked in a lighter vehicle. I suspect that hydroboost unit was considerably bigger than the Astro unit.

Dan

Comment

• What was your '80 exactly Dan? Maybe I can look it up to see how compatible this truck unit may or may not be?

Comment

What was your '80 exactly Dan? Maybe I can look it up to see how compatible this truck unit may or may not be?
                                It was an '80 C10 Diesel painted super-ugly green (I know, not significant but still true). It came with the 5.7 Diesel that sometimes ran but not in the Michigan winters so the body was tight. When I did the BBB I kept the dual batteries and the hydroboost, both of which worked great. Hope that helps - Rock Auto might have a pic.

EDIT: Here's a link for what it's worth: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...030600&jsn=981

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; August 8, 2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X