No announcement yet.

'78 Buick Regal Sport Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotcha. I was thinking it was a Buick car of some model.

I looked up a '83 Pontiac Grand Prix Diesel which used HydroBoost and the part numbers are slightly different from the truck.

Car - AC Delco # 14bp4139

Truck - Ac Delco # 14pb4147

Car - Cardone # 527211

Truck - Cardone # 527307

All of which tells of some difference, but perhaps in configuration only? Maybe in the pedal rod?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
      Are all hydroboosts' created equal I wonder? The TurboBuick crowd likes to adapt Astro units to the G-body - I wonder how the squarebody unit compares.

Tried to look up '86 Astro application part numbers on RockAuto, but am not finding the Hydroboost listed as a replacement part under power brake booster.

I do find the '86 truck unit available from Cardone 527307 #14055057 and ACDelco 14pb4147 #19286847 for $130

Anyone know what years Astros used Hydroboost?
      yes - they are all created equal except there are 2 capacities....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

yes - they are all created equal except there are 2 capacities....
        Capacities as in volume/flow of PS fluid? Or boost output?

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Capacities as in volume/flow of PS fluid? Or boost output?
          I'm fairly certain they're classed by vehicle weight - I use the time-tested method of buying the cheaper of the two and have had good luck with that.... that said, I haven't yet driven my Corvette.... but the cheaper is the more numerous, the more numerous is the lighter duty one..

Comment

• I have a car power steering pump on my hydroboosted flatbed.. Not quite up to par on braking and turning during low speed stuff..

Comment

• Today I found a third set of part numbers for the Astro Hydroboost.

So to summarize, the C-30 truck, diesel G-body car, and the Astro van all have different part numbers for the hydrobooster.

I have cobbled worse stuff together. The truck unit is complete and matches itself in the pump department anyways.

And overboosted brakes might be a good thing for this driver eh?

In it goes.
              Last edited by STINEY; August 9, 2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• you saw how I did the hydroboost on my Corvette? copy that... with that said, the Buick is getting vacuum assist but then a vacuum pump and reservoir.... you do create vacuum at highway speeds, even with the draw-through turbo design.... and at this point, it's almost even money doing vacuum assist vs. hydro

Comment

• Yep. Lower the booster centering hole to the center of the mounting bolt square, use the power brake pivot on the pedal arm, make rod correct length, done.

Speaking of pedal arm pivots - TurboBuick guys swapping away from the factory PowerMaster system to the Hydraboost use the same pivot, while the TurboBuick guys swapping from the PowerMaster system to standard Vacuum boosters have to move the pivot DOWN 3/4", which would DECREASE pedal leverage.

I've done the power to manual pedal ratio swap on several cars - what I don't understand is the difference between the PowerMaster/HydroBoost pivot location and the Vacuum boosted pivot location?

They are both power booster systems. So the PM and HB systems use a pedal ratio closer to a MANUAL ratio? While the Vacuum ratio is all out there by itself?

Not what I would have expected to find.

(just gonna drop this here) https://turbobuick.com/threads/brake...to-vac.418576/
                  Last edited by STINEY; May 8, 2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Different mounting plates, push rods, and in some cases reserve canister sizes. There is a Bronco site out there that detailed a lot about the different types. The late Astro stuff has a really weird mounting plate to mount to the angled firewall and stay horizontal.
                    Last edited by CTX-SLPR; August 10, 2019, 04:59 PM.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                      Different mounting plates, push rods, and in some cases reserve canister sizes. There is a Bronco site out there that detailed a lot about the different types. The late Astro stuff has a really weird mounting plate to mount to the angled firewall and stay horizontal.
                      Thanks for the lead. Good reading and great info.

I have the truck unit off - it has a massive mounting plate compared to the astro and gbody units. Its really TALL, but that's just more material to work with.

Comment

• California yard considers this a "rechromeable core".

Yeah, around here its "driver quality". Steel chromed skin with an aluminum core brace. One more piece of the puzzle solved.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tT1KQzK.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	1249683

Comment

• Will removed the last bolt on the truck engine donor last night, while I cut the exhaust off.

More proof of a low-mileage donor. These factory exhaust heat shields went from the downpipes all the way back to the large-by-huge 2' factory mufflers.

Anyone remember these on their square-body trucks?

Name:	8Pkn76q.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	1249685

Name:	ANQaNKf.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	1249686

Comment

• damn, look at all that rust!

Comment

• I did mention the truck was heading to the scrapyard. Wasn’t because it was outta style......

Comment

• Last major piece arrived today.

I about cry when I see how rust free this car sitting in a junkyard in Arizona must be. At least our interiors don't turn to powder......

And the skid/crate had a slightly mangled box loose inside it. Do all quarter panels from Phoenix include a complimentary brand new guitar stand? Thanks Amazon fullfilment, guess now I just need a guitar.

Name:	rJVTcbN.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	1249769

Name:	Gl4EGKp.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	1249770
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X