Building a T-Bucket, Supercharged BMW V8 with NOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a T-Bucket, Supercharged BMW V8 with NOS

Hey guys, I wanted to share a few pictures of my current project. I had started putting this engine together for another project car, part way through I had decided to take a left at Albuquerque and go way left field and build an entirely different car around it. To build the little hot rod I have always wanted since I was a kid, a T-bucket.

It's far from being complete and I can only get parts as life & finances allow, and of course time is limited too. But I'm going for it.

The engine: Mid 90's BMW 4.4L V8, with early 90's BMW 4.0L heads and cams and a Supercharger from a late 90's Jaguar.

As for the "T" portion of the project, I started with a Speedway Motors standard '23 T body and a reproduction '32 Ford grill

Next I picked up a Jaguar independent rear end:

It's a 3.31 gear open diff, which I don't mind so much in a lightweight vehicle that's going to have thick rear tires and skinny front tires.

Speaking of rear tires... American Racing VN502 15"x10" and M&H 30"x14.5" (12" tread) Cheater slicks.

Piecing things together:

Getrag 420G 6 speed manual trans and 265mm clutch

Currently collected parts:

Supercharged BMW 4.4L V8
    BMW Getrag 420g 6spd trans
    BMW driveshaft (will need modified)
    Engine wiring harness and connectors
    Standalone EFI controller (Speeduino)
    2 stage dry nitrous (Pictured above is single stage wet shot)
    Mid '70's jaguar rear end
    New calipers, pads & rotors for Jag rear
    Spicer 1310 U-joint flange for Jag rear
    Rear wheels and tires
    Speedway '23 Standard T fiberglass body
    Repro '34 Ford grill
    '34 Ford 'Commercial' headlights with integral turn signals
    Repro Model A "STOP" tail lights
    2 point SFI approved lap harness
    Universal tractor seats

Parts currently on order or in process of being delivered:

46" front axle, drilled and 4" drop
    Drilled split wishbone radius arms
    Ford spindles and kingpins for drop axle
    Disc brake bracket, rotors & calipers for ford spindles
    American Racing VN502 15" x 5" front wheels
    Firestone 155/80-15 front tires

Parts yet to be ordered:

T-bucket frame, with jag rear mounts
    Rear radius arms
    Front leaf spring, shackles & wishbone eyelets
    Friction shocks
    Brake & clutch pedal assembly w/ masters
    EZ-wire universal fuseblock and wiring harness.
    Steering and all brackets, mounts, linkage - cowl mount
    Rear coil over springs
    Water to air intercooler & elec pump
    Borla XR1 mufflers

...any other nut & bolt and piece of hardware along the way

It's going to be a long term build, as finances allow. But you can already get an idea of the character and demeanor of this rod. My goal isn't to have a pristine and gorgeous show car. My goal is to have a unique bucket that'll grab some interest that I can drive daily if I so choose and take to the drag strip on weekends...I realize the cheater slicks will need a road tire substitute when that time comes.

I also have this dream; to build this bucket. get it on the road, drive & tune it. Work out the major kinks and bugs and then embark on a road trip from where I live in Arizona to Los Angeles, join the HWY1/PCH in Santa Monica and cruise north all the way to San Francisco, maybe even a bit beyond...Bodega Bay.

Thanks for checking out my project. I'll be back with picture updates. I am also making a youtube series around the build and road trip, but that too is a work in progress.

Last edited by Mykk; September 5, 2018, 07:26 PM.

Far end of the dare to be different spectrum with that power plant. What ever you do don't post any picture on the HAMB. You will get killed. Good luck with the project.

Comment

Sweet ! With all the major drive train and engine , maybe some sorts wide tires on the front and a independent front end and make it a track T . Cool project .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

that's gonna be something. I like it...
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

cool
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

WOW!!!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post
              .... What ever you do don't post any picture on the HAMB. You will get killed...
              I fully respect and love traditional builds, I have no intent on forcing my project on them :-P

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
              ... maybe some sorts wide tires on the front and a independent front end and make it a track T....
              That does sound like more practical of an application, I personally think independent front suspension looks weird on a T but it is very track race car. I'm going to stick with the solid axle. I was thinking of experimenting with sway bars front and rear to help with roll around turns. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Comment

Looks like fun! However, a German engine in an American hot rod is just plain weird (look at my thread "Mutt the Race Truck" - you'll see I'm teasing you).

Dan

Comment

Front wheels, front axle, spindles & brakes in the works:

Comment

Comment

hope that oil sump doesn't cause issues with ground clearance...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        hope that oil sump doesn't cause issues with ground clearance...
                        Just another thing to figure if or when that presents a problem. As far as I know SBC oil pans sit much lower compared to motor mount locations and that seems to be a Tbucket go-to engine

Comment

Frame Day:

The front ride height is about what I'm looking for. It'll come down a bit with drivetrain weight. The rear is high, I'll pull the diff forward and tuck it into the frame to not only lower the rear of the frame but to close the gap a bit between the rear wheel and body

Comment

Comment

I like it! I have been playing with the idea of building a tbucket. Not sure i havr the time money or motovation right now. Yours looks like it's going to be a blast! Might want to look into adding a roll cage.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X