Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few updates on progress:

Comment

Working on steering, in the parts collection stage and have a loose plan on how to hang the steering gear for cowl steering. But first needed to reverse the rotation of the gear box by switching the input around to the otherside of the housing.

Sprint Car pitman arm in order to mount the gear up high under the cowl and keep the steering arm low & parallel to the radius arm.

Comment

This weekends project ; laying out the skeleton for the cowl steering gearbox mounting, still need to gusset & add supports.

Comment

Getting body panels ready for paint, finish sectioning the grill for the shorter insert.

Getting the holes drilled and mounting locations before sending the body pieces off.

A hint of what will will be coming back:

Comment

With the steering mounted now the flipped upside down M3 exhaust manifolds point directly at the steering arm on the drivers side. I've started exploring exhaust options. I've been looking at engines that share similar engine bore spacing, exhaust port spacing and similar flanges to see what headers are on the market. Headers for the M60 BMW V8 are practically non-existant. I've stumbled on a series of ford engines that have similar dimensions, here we see a set of 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0 long tube headers. Flipped upside down, naturally.

The passenger fits beautifully. The drivers side, not so much. It sits a bit wonky, won't clear the corner of the body and of course the tubes line right up with the steering arm.

I've got a few more header options to try before attempting to frankenstein my own drivers header together using the header tubes that didn't fit.

Comment

Comment

Header/steering solution yet?
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                  Header/steering solution yet?
                  I have a few ideas, photo updates soon

Comment

This is AWESOME! I have a few friends into BMW's that will get a kick out of this! Keep up the awesome work!
                    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                    1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                    2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

I was talked into, and agreed it would be a good idea, to reflow the previously flux core wire welded mount tabs, brackets & added metal pieces to the frame for better penetration. Tore the car down and brought the frame to my work. Then (with help from my Boss & Friend) began TIG welding everything. Also added gussets, supports & more tabs for mounting of stuff.

I also needed to move the engine forward roughly 1.5", now's the time.

That steering arm still has a bit of vertical flex. It's actually twisting the frame itself. I'll come up with another plan for more support soon.

After some clean up I'll paint the frame in a gun metal grey. Then on to mounting of the wiring harness and running the wires every which direction.
                      Last edited by Mykk; September 29, 2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I've tried flux core with my 110v model... Didn't like it.
                        Friend has a big machine and tried it. While better...still messy.

Glad you rewelded the welds!

All the frame seams get rewelded on our derby cars when allowed. If you wire brush many frme seams, you will find flux is mostly what holds stuff together!

Comment

Been working on some of the aesthetics of the paint & decals before next focusing on wiring and electrical.

Painting the frame in a Duplicolor Graphite wheel paint.

Added a racing number decal, flat cleared over it.

The exhaust will cover up most of the number, but I think it'll still hint to the vintage vibe.

Decided to swap out the tractor seats for a set of plush boat seats. Way more comfy.

After looking at my euro style offset racing stripe I felt it just needed a bit more to tie it all together.

...there's that more vintage vibe racing stripe I was imagining :-)

Comment

The winter cold, rain & snow is officially in full force. Slowing motivation and progress. I had a goal of a running & driving vehicle by the end of 2019. I'm not going to hit that mark, instead I am going to keep moving along. No stress, just keep moving.

I figure over the winter I can tackle quick little projects that may amount to some progress by the end of the season. Like:

Modifying an aftermarket 90's Mustang style thrtottlebody to bolt down to the jaguar supercharger inlet.

Bolted the boat seats down to the original tractor seat bases to raise them up and lean them back.

Comment

Todays little project: Mounting the coils and making the rest of the ignition wires:

Comment

Holy wiring....So. Much. Wiring.

Fixing those stargazing headlights so they are level when pointed forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X