No announcement yet.

Building a T-Bucket, Supercharged BMW V8 with NOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May have come up with a solution to the rear radius arms. Using a matched set of the front Model A split wishbones, and a spring perch bolt mounted to the Jaguar lower control arms.

Comment

How 'bout the steering arm issue?
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Excellent Project !!!
        Love the accent white stripes, really ties that together Great.

Always Wanted a "T-bucket"........
        till I rode in one with a Super Charged 427.....
        Took Off like a Sling Shot...... a "TripTraffic Light" changed a couple of blocks down.....
        that car was hopping all over a 3 Lane Blvd when he hit the binders hard, got so far sideways I thought we were going to log roll through the intersection !!!

Stopped but looking like a couple of Ah·\€s
        cross ways blocking the Blvd in the Crosswalk....

Comment

Cool build!

I do have some reservations about your cantilevered steering box setup though. I feel as if it really needs some support on the driver's side. Maybe even a bolt-in support bracket at this point in the project. That thing is going to be subject to a lot of vertical movement from road vibrations and fore/aft movement from the steering arm forces particularly at slow speeds. I know it probably seems solid right now, but once you start driving down the road I think it's vibrate like crazy.

My 2 cents!

Carry on!

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
            How 'bout the steering arm issue?
            Having trouble finding a pitman arm with the correct size & spline for the gearbox, moved on to other projects on the car and will circle around back to steering soon. I have a couple of ideas to try in order to maintain using a short arm to clear the exhaust yet keep the steering rod parallel to the frame.

Originally posted by BBR View Post
            I do have some reservations about your cantilevered steering box setup though. I feel as if it really needs some support on the driver's side. Maybe even a bolt-in support bracket at this point in the project.
            I do agree. I've been keeping that thought and how to remedy it in the back of my mind. I was thinking maybe a vertical support on the drivers side off the bellhousing or something...cross that bridge when I get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
              Took Off like a Sling Shot...... a "TripTraffic Light" changed a couple of blocks down.....
              that car was hopping all over a 3 Lane Blvd when he hit the binders hard, got so far sideways I thought we were going to log roll through the intersection !!!

Stopped but looking like a couple of Ah·\€s
              cross ways blocking the Blvd in the Crosswalk....
              I hear that, I may not be paying attention to safety as much as I should be while putting this one together. I am making sure it's got good brakes, and I do have plans for a vintage lakewood style rollbar over the tank in the back. My other big secret on this project, it's an open diff. My thoughts were that a limited slip or locker were be more likely to power through the front tires while turning.

Comment

From what I understand a limited slip only kicks in if it detects slipage from the primary drive wheel , usually the passenger side . So , under braking it should revert back to a one legger .
                Last edited by Dan Barlow; February 16, 2020, 02:48 PM.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

1st,
                  I sure I understood that he is correct that a Posi on that light of vehicle with Super Slicks, a Posi will Lockup, and Push the Car thru corners.....

And the slicks on the T-Bucket I rode in, plus the era correct of just Bicycle Wheel front wheels of the late 70's.....(No Brakes)
                  Is when let to this EYE WIDE OPEN RIDE !!

Comment

In demo derby we Lincoln Locker our rear ends.. Most of our tracks/arenas are mud or wet down, even with hefty cars and small tires up front (smaller target) it is hard to steer, thus a blip of the throttle gets it moving in the direction wanted.. A light car like this.. I'd keep it open or add electric or air assisted lockers for drag strip blasts?

Comment

New shop space & making progress on little projects:

Comment

Well, this has my attention.

Comment

LOVE THE BULL DOG PUMPER !! :-)
                          I just retired from my local VFD.
                          FF I & II, MPO, IFSAC Certified,
                          Wildland FF, ICO, Tactical PUMPER,
                          Arson Ivstr., Fire Insptr I & II, National FF Academy-Structure Collapse, HazMat...
                          And More.... Click image for larger version

Name:	2019051495185218.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1264391

Comment

Finished modifying the Coyote 5.0 headers to bolt up and seal against the BMW heads. Which also gave me an opportunity to tack the auger style mufflers in place, some of angles are a bit funky. I mean afterall I'm using mail order performance parts never intended for this application and were not intended to be working together. Luckily there is a heat shield to hide it all.

I'm also happy to see that without focusing on the location of the pipes, I clear them getting in and out of the bucket. The pipes & mufflers near the body will also get DEI titanium heat wrapped.

Using a steering shaft, column and wheel from a '67 Corvair, TIG welding the steering shaft directly to the input/worm gear:

For the wheel steering arm side of the project. I think I can TIG & gusset this cut off drop pitman arm to the steering arm in hopes of raising the steering rod contact point for a less dramatic steering rod angle from the gearbox/pitman arm.

The rod angle still isn't ideal, and I'm afraid bump steer will still be an issue:

Also, because I'm a nerd:

Comment

I love it man, this car is what hot rodding is all about! Wacky engine, with parts never meant for it, in a chassis that is 100 years older than the engine! (I know, the chassis is custom, but still)

"Oh, the red button there kid, don't ever, ever touch the red button!"
                              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                              1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                              2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

"PUSH THE BUTTON.....MAX !!!"
                                Just PUSH the Button !

Comment

Working...
                                X