No announcement yet.

62 Thunderbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These years of T-Birds weren't designed to be drag raced.......they were meant to be LOOKED at......cruising by low-n-slow.....yet they will scoot when asked to.

Man. I am jealous. That is such a cool car.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Perry Mason drove a Thunderbird, but I think even ole' Raymond would find more power being a good idea.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I always felt that anyone can make a small, lightweight car fast...A true evil genius is the one capable of getting a land yacht to move on down the road like a rocketship. For me, I was never a fan of small cars, for reasons unknown, I tend to gravitate toward the biggest sleds Detroit had to offer. Which is why my dumb ass is trying to make a Chrysler C-body move...It goes against the grain, argues with conventional wisdom and common sense. It is also stupid and financially irresponsible...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

one of the very few cars id love to have
          in mary kay cosmetic pink.........

Comment

Through much of my grade school (this would be late-sixties), if you left by the north gate there was this T-Bird parked right there in front of someone's house, just like yours with the rocket-exhaust taillights. I loved it. A vision for the time of what the future should be, for the same market as the Riviera but looking more like the Chrysler Turbine Car really. Yes it's a cruiser. At that era they could have gone either of two ways forward...make it an even heavier car with a 429 and four-doors with a landau bar, or instead maybe focus on having it lift off straight up from the pavement and fly through the air with those lights glowing after. Ford would choose the first option and make it a turd but in '62 they hadn't done that yet and it seemed like the sky was the limit.

I'm kinda of the Astro Supremes/white-guy-lowrider bent, I had a friend with one rolling on billet wheels and it was awful, but hey that's up to you. I can see a number of combos working with that, just it should be a tribute to what forward thinking was in it's time.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
              I always felt that anyone can make a small, lightweight car fast...A true evil genius is the one capable of getting a land yacht to move on down the road like a rocketship. For me, I was never a fan of small cars, for reasons unknown, I tend to gravitate toward the biggest sleds Detroit had to offer. Which is why my dumb ass is trying to make a Chrysler C-body move...It goes against the grain, argues with conventional wisdom and common sense. It is also stupid and financially irresponsible...
              there's a guy in Portland who has a 65 Bonneville with a high-compression 502 BBC powering it. It's light blue (think 90s color) but my lord is it fast...
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                Look up "Sean Mote" on Facebook. That's all......

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  These years of T-Birds weren't designed to be drag raced.......they were meant to be LOOKED at......cruising by low-n-slow.....

i dunno, i can see a straight axle gasser with a nasty 460 and a top loader
                  lurching around in my dreams--in mary kay cosmetic pink no less.......

Comment

I'm very glad to see the reactions this car is bringing out. Another testament to the imagination and creativity of the folks 'round here. I'm going to leave this one as a cruiser, I'd like to add front disc brakes, newer springs and shocks, the megasquirt / MSD throttle body EFI set up, AC, and some (hidden?) modern tunes.
                    I really enjoy driving this car.... it's got that big, heavy long wheel base luxury car / land yacht road feel that makes all right in the world when enjoyed in the proper ambient conditions.

I like the "turbine" style wheels - I would like to clean them up to get rid of the rattle can gold and make them silver again - like the rest of the trim on the car.

I want this to be the nice day drive to work car, as often as possible, it's so comfy even my lovely bride enjoys cruising in it
                    (she's not a fan of the unfinished interior on the falcon, or the violent ride and noisy exhaust in the 5 window)
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                    X