1993 GMC Sierra - unloved street truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 GMC Sierra - unloved street truck

I bought this truck on a whim. It was a trade in at the dealership I worked at, and was slated for a date with a wholesale auction. 4.3 V-6, NV4500 manual transmission, regular cab, longbed. Basically the antithesis of anything popular. It was between this and a Mazda B4000 extended cab. When it came time to pull the trigger, I decided on the GMC for a few reasons:

1) Parts availability. Not that the Mazda was bad, but a full sized GMT-400 platform is simple, durable and cheap.
    2) Ease of V-8 swap. I'm fairly mechanically adept, but I lack time in a big way.
    3) GM interchangeability.
    4) Stick shift. I know modern automatics are superior, but for ease of the V-8, I preferred the manual.

This truck reminds me of the sport trucks that were the street heroes of my youth in Central Florida. The sport truck movement inspired me to modify my first car, a 1995 Nissan Hardbody, which ended up with nearly 400 bhp from a Japan-sourced SR20DET engine that came from an early 90's Silvia. Since then, fast trucks have fascinated me, as they blur the line between function and form. I hope to replicate that with this, in more of a shop-truck style format.
    The plans for this turd are to address the ride height first. I plan to try out the new Street Grip suspension from RideTech, While doing that, I'm going to swap the truck to 6-lug so I can recycle my 20" American Racing wheels that were on my K1500 Yukon, shod in 275/40/20 rubber. The wheels are currently black with machined lips, and will either be brass, or charcoal. I'm undecided yet.
    As far as the aesthetics of the body and garbage clear coat... not going to bother. I'm going to use this like a truck. At most, I'll roll a bedliner inside the box.
    For the power plant, I'm not going LS, even though it's probably the most bang-for-buck option. I'm going small block, and here is why: Air conditioning. I know that you can put A/C on LS engine swaps, but refer back to the lack of time. I run a dealership, and have two small boys at home. I don't want to fool with swapping accessory drives, and searching for a belt. Plus, I put a new alternator on this bucket just last week. My goal is 400 horses to the wheels, or some reasonable facsimile, nothing astronomical. Enough to play, entertain myself, and haul more crappy cars home if I so choose. Case in point, the wife's MG Midget.
    I'll post as I do things, but it probably won't be a rapid build. Ideally I'd like to have it ready for Power Tour next year to long haul.

Here's a brief article on the truck itself https://bangshift.com/general-news/b...khorse-pickup/
    Last edited by Vertigo; October 13, 2018, 01:06 PM.

cool project, but I think you got the NV3550 not the 4500...
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Thank you! I ran the RPO on it, and it's MT8, which is a 6.34:1 1st and reverse geared NV4500 for 1993. You can walk faster than it will drive in first.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post
        Thank you! I ran the RPO on it, and it's MT8, which is a 6.34:1 1st and reverse geared NV4500 for 1993. You can walk faster than it will drive in first.
        I dunno. I'm old and can walk REALLY slow!

All in all, a cool score. You ought to be able to have a really great time with it and for not a ton of money. I did an '80 C10 with a Buick 455 and that was a fun truck though I never did get around to a rear gear swap (badly needed). I bought a running '76 Buick wagon for next to nothing (rusty body) and stole the engine, trans, and even the road wheels. My point is that the old GM big blocks (Pontiac, Buick, Olds, Cadillac) are a really easy swap into these trucks and give a pile of torque for next to no $$. At least in my opinion it makes for a more interesting vehicle but I'm kind of the king of weird engine swaps. Just something to think about.

After reading Bryan's article I have to say I LOVE my early '02 Dodge /Cummins and I expect it to be my last vehicle. It's rust-free (a Florida history and it's been in coastal NC since I bought it, so no salt) and I had it painted about a year ago. The engine and rebuilt auto trans (done by a local guy who's a real wizard) along with a couple of mods make for a forever drivetrain. It hauls the heck out of Mutt the Race Truck - or a trailer load of gravel. If I had the $$ for a new truck I wouldn't. As soon as I recover from last year's racing season Truck (his name) will finally get that new dash I've been promising him and everything will be up to snuff.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post
          My favorite line - trust but verify. GM did strange things and packages, so I'm not saying anything other then climb under and check to be sure.... either way, it's still a cool rig, I use the Jeep equivalent of the 3550 behind a 350 in my FJ40 (on 38s); they're not a bad transmission of course the big daddy is the 4500, so here's to hoping it is
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I dunno. I'm old and can walk REALLY slow!

All in all, a cool score. You ought to be able to have a really great time with it and for not a ton of money. I did an '80 C10 with a Buick 455 and that was a fun truck though I never did get around to a rear gear swap (badly needed). I bought a running '76 Buick wagon for next to nothing (rusty body) and stole the engine, trans, and even the road wheels. My point is that the old GM big blocks (Pontiac, Buick, Olds, Cadillac) are a really easy swap into these trucks and give a pile of torque for next to no $$. At least in my opinion it makes for a more interesting vehicle but I'm kind of the king of weird engine swaps. Just something to think about.

Dan
            Dan,
            Thanks for the encouragement. Bryan and I have been debating how to use to the Caddy 368 (if it survives King Of The Heaps) post-limo duty. I don't want to switch mine to the TH-400 that the Caddy runs, I'm going to stick with the manual I have. Admittedly, I'd love to swap that drivetrain into something like my truck or an El Camino, but for what I'm doing with this bucket, that probably won't fit the bill.

Comment

I think this platform does not get the attention it deserves. The slightly more modern equivalent to the 73 thru 87 square body Chevy trucks and they look great when given the proper attention. Tons of parts, easy to upgrade, inexpensive to own and buy...perfect hot rod fodder. A row your own tranny is a plus no matter what is more "superior". Shifting yourself makes you more involved with the driving process and, for me anyway, makes it for more enjoyable.

Nice score, looking forward to following along...
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Here is the wheel I'm going to use. Again, not the prettiest or fanciest, but I already own them. My debate is just to clean them up and leave them black, paint the centers charcoal or bronze. I will not be using that tire, as A) they are nearly bald, and B) too tall. That is nearly 32".
                Last edited by Vertigo; October 16, 2018, 06:32 AM.

Comment

I'd like to find something that tall that will bolt onto Mutt (stock S-10 rear and axles) for an effective "gear change" for my LSR efforts. I'm getting to the point where I have enough engine to pull a taller gear.

The price of "I already have them" fits my budget just right!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X