49 F3 Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    ... live in a place where it's always between say 40 and 90 F...
    40* is the temperature in the morgue!

We start to get VERY COLD when it gets in the low 60s here!

Comment

College shopping with daughter in Rhode Island this week, its a balmy 31 degrees as I type
      nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

40ish is about right. Can put on a coat and work for hours without getting all sweaty and nasty. Much warmer and you are always hunting for a comfort level - unzip coat, get cold, zip coat, get too warm....unzip coat, repeat.

Then spend the next few days with a cold.

It warmed up to 61 this morning and it sucks. Humidity is so high it feels like walking through a cold sauna. Yuck!

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Quick update, sorry no pictures.

Over the weekend I picked up an ARESCO (Tuxedo) 4 post lift, thanks to a lot of help from a friend and the loader on the tractor, we got it unloaded and assembled.
          Assembly was a lot harder than it had to be thanks to horrible directions, useless "assembly drawings" and a giant bag of all the hardware for the entire thing all mixed together.
          Anyway - it's put together and operational, and with some help from a small winch, the 49 is resting comfortably on it.

We got the disc brake conversion kit installed on the passenger side - while putting that together, I noticed that the two sets of wheel stud holes in the rotors are slightly different in diameter. If I used the smaller diameter set of holes, the rotor does center up on the shank of the studs. Installing the lug nuts flat side toward the rotor, and tightening them up in a star pattern, I was able to get the rotor up tight to the hub. I'll have to re-do the driver side in the same way.

The good news is - the calipers cleared the steel 16" wheels, there was some doubt around if they would clear or not. I'm happy they did since I already had a newer used set of tires mounted and balanced on those wheels.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Congrats! I have been casually checking out the current offerings of 4 post lifts. The new building gets one eventually.
            Last edited by STINEY; October 30, 2018, 12:30 PM.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

King pin kit came in, dropped shipped from CPP in California, ordered from summit, lots of warnings to "check condition, file claim with the shipping company if damaged" they must have had a run of bad luck.
              I've never changed king pins/bushings before, hopefully they don't put up the same level of fight the drums did. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                ... I've never changed king pins/bushings before...
                Did you kit come with a reamer?
                I believe that once the bushing are pushed in they have to be reamed to proper clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                  Did you kit come with a reamer?
                  I believe that once the bushing are pushed in they have to be reamed to proper clearance.

At least that's how we did 'em in the Olden Days. Shops that were old enough would have a set of expandable reamers so you could custom fit them to the actual pins. The pins were all supposed to be the same size but there ARE tolerances. I THINK the Buick dealer had the reamers for Buicks but by the time I hired on (1963) they were a thing of the past in Buicks so I never actually did a set. But we still had customers' cars with straight eights!

Dan

Comment

Great questions guys - the new kit does not have a reamer, it does have all the new pins, bushings, seals, cross bolts, etc. This will be a learn as I go affair - if I need to source a reamer.... so be it. There's over a 1/16" of play on both sides.... so it needs to be done.

Anybody have a set of these I could borrow?

Last edited by milner351; October 31, 2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Those would be nice to have in the shop! Though I'm too old to hang onto them 'till the need comes along (I've had to start thinking that way.)

Dan

Comment

I'm trying to at least ask around first before I buy "occasional use" tools.... I don't have much moved from the old shop to the new yet, and I'm already running out of room.

Comment

If you know what size you could probably head over to Production Tool and get just the one you need - though it might be the price of the whole set! But with better quality.

Dan

Comment

The kid bought a couple tapered reamers. Use them to get to the size we need to bolt stuff together.
                            Around $60..
                            I paid that much for reamers for heads. (guides)
                            While buying "one use" types might save $$.. You might break them and have a bigger mess..
                            We have a $1800 cage for our motor that likely will never be used again.. Wall art.

Comment

Did you buy reamers for your kingpin installation?
                              What brand did you settle on?
                              How well did they work?

Comment

Well, things have stalled on this project, I have not purchased reamers or attempted the king pin rebuild yet.

I have gotten a few other things done that should allow me to get back to working on things again after the first of the year.

It appears this may be a less expensive reamer option - a single adjustable one that adjusts just smaller and larger than the nominal 1" hole.

I think I'll get the mess apart before I buy anything?

Last edited by milner351; December 30, 2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X