No announcement yet.

49 F3 Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That reamer seems like JUST the right thing.

Dan

Comment

Once again, life gets in the way of project progress.

However, I did make a nice score today - stainless block hugger headers from the garage sale area at Speedway.

This should go a long way toward the goal of cleaning up the engine installation on this old truck.
      As it sits, it has stock iron manifolds, and on the driver side, the stock manifold is what I must assume is a passenger side flipped around pointing the spent fumes down and FORWARD, a creative solution to get around steering column/box clearance.
      This is bad in a number of ways, most alarmingly is the far too cozy confines of the current exhaust and fuel pump / fuel line arrangement.
      The block huggers will direct exhaust straight down, street rod style, just aft of the engine mounts.
      This will require (not sadly) the corrugated "bent over knee" primary exhaust pipes be replaced with something less hack-tastic.

I'll probably end up having to run a smaller starter, time will tell - and that may get tricky - this truck is running what I gather is the factory flathead T87 3 speed manual trans, with an "A-daptor" to the small block. As far as I can tell, the transmission, shifter, driveshaft, trans cross member are all in their '49 location.

I will most likely have a local exhaust shop custom bend the pipes, they don't need to be 2 1/2", 2 1/4" or even 2" would suffice, it's just a stock 71 2 barrel 302 after all.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Boy does life get in the way of projects, sometimes adulting just isn't what it's cracked up to be.

I purchased a 95 F150 with the legendary inline 6 with the 5 speed manual transmission with the goal of putting that 5 speed behind the small block in this truck.
        So far parting out that 95 albeit a rusty example has already paid me more than I paid for it, so, the truck has "paid me" to take the engine and trans and a few other bits, not bad.

I have to get back on this truck and get it ready to sell - it's just not my dream to have and I really bought it mostly for the "I had one of those once" factor and to help out the family who's Patriarch had helped me allot as a punk college kid and it was my way of repaying that.

I'm going to finish up the brake and fuel lines - do my best to clean up the horrid exhaust set up - and put it up on bring a trailer so it can find a new home - and I can put the money toward other projects - including probably a couple new ones I've not started threads on yet....
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          including probably a couple new ones I've not started threads on yet....
          Oh really. Do share. And sometime could you drop me a text, my phone went blooey and I lost all my contacts.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
          X