• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Cheap Jeep ...

1998 Grand Cherokee
    4.0 w/ all wheel drive
    200k on the clock ...

I acquired this thing for my daughter to drive to and from school. It served her well. Shortly after we got it, the 249 T case got stuck in 4x4. I was able to find a good used 249 as the goal was to get it on the road ...

Last spring the trans went south so I rebuilt it with an eye towards longevity and performance. I put a shift improver kit in it, heavy duty converter and quality clutches etc. The jeep now runs like a top and never fails to start ...

So the kid bought a new ride ... I'm keeping the GC, and it will now be a project/daily driver for me to play with.

I've been a closet Jeep GC 5.9 limited fanatic since they came out. I've driven several owned by friends and customers. I know the mpg's suck for the minimal performance they came with, but none the less, I really like them.

The plan:

Rebuild the entire suspension to the GC "uplander" specs ... which is what the 5.9 had. I'll be swapping the 249 T case to the more desirable 242 select trac. I'm keeping the 4.0, and taking a page from The Silver Buick's book and adding a DIY turbo to it. I'd like to add the 5.9 style hood and possibly wheels ... not sure on the latter though.

So far all I've been able to do is amass parts. I found a deal on the 242 tcase and drive shafts. I've found that Rock auto and Quadra tec are my best friends for finding parts etc ...

Stay tuned ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	1219779

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

cool project....thought about one like myself.

Comment

I'd have to lower it about 6" but that's just me.

Dan

Comment

Well with the recent move to the high country, I actually need ground clearance. It needs to actually function as a Jeep for me.

Comment

Those can be built to be very capable, yeah the sixes don't have much hp for freeway or sand dunes but it's sure nice to be able to 'wheel all day on a tank of gas. Turbo project would be interesting.

Comment

inline sixes don't get enough love IMHO. I'd love to run a turbo'd 300 six ford in something in the future.
            The jeep inlines are legendary for longevity.
            Any inline has a better ratio of main bearings to rod bearings than V8's... so - THROW THE BOOST TO IT!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              inline sixes don't get enough love IMHO. I'd love to run a turbo'd 300 six ford in something in the future.
              The jeep inlines are legendary for longevity.
              Any inline has a better ratio of main bearings to rod bearings than V8's... so - THROW THE BOOST TO IT!
              John - Did you see the offering of a free 300" inline six? It belongs to my buddy in TN with Lewy Body Dementia - his wife is clearing out all the stuff he'll never be able to do. Anyhow, a drive down to Sparta and it's yours.

Dan

Comment

I don’t need this to be a freeway flyer ... although some extra oomph coming up the passes would be welcome. I’d eventually add a small trailer rob pulled also ...

Comment

Cool project. Should be named 'Cheep Jeep'........
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Find an 87-90 258 crank and rods and build a stroker motor.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                      Find an 87-90 258 crank and rods and build a stroker motor.
                      Maybe down the road ... I know the ones Golen builds aren’t cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                        I don’t need this to be a freeway flyer ... although some extra oomph coming up the passes would be welcome. I’d eventually add a small trailer rob pulled also ...
                        As a Grand Cherokee owner/wheeler myself, my advice if its worth anything is "gears."At best you have a 3.73, probably a 3.54 in all likelihood. 4.10s front and rear will be huge, and they can be had for cheap if you find any Wrangler or Cherokee with a 4 cylinder. Still the Dana 30.35 combo, so they are drop and play from a ring & pinion standpoint. That will give you all the gumption that 4.0 needs, and you can address anything else from there.

Comment

The Ford 8.8 from an Exploder is a pretty simple swap - and most come with 4.10s. Disk brakes and the same lug pattern. As for the front. I beg you to avoid the Dana 30, find a Dana 44, again if you raid the Ford parts bin and find a high pinion 44 - you'll not just have a stout axle but locking hubs too. As for bolt pattern, they aren't the same (5 on 5). Alternatively, finding a JK Dana 44 could be a good alternative - and there you'll find 4.10s as well.... not just that, but I've seen Dana 44s from trashed beyond redemption Cherokees for cheap
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                          X