Diesel to E85 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Over 8500 gvw rated 148, apparently (at least in the 1989 G series). the bus I saw the ad for was a 3500. dually
    165 hp / 330 ft lbs for the non-EGR trucks. Believe it or not, they aren't terrible in larger vehicles. I had an Itasca class A with a 6.2 and under 65, it was about the same as a 454 in acceleration.... got a whooping 12 mpg (which was better then a similar 454 that got 7 or 8). That said, a turbo was all they needed. 250 hp and 450 ft lb torque. With that said, DB is right - a 350 or 400 got similar mileage as the diesel and actually could climb hills at faster then a brisk walk.... unless turbo, then you'd dust the gassers
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 3, 2018, 04:21 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      .... unless turbo, then you'd dust the gassers
      Need to be careful - those could be fighting words for Jim

Comment

A Diesel w/o turbo (or some form of charged intake air) is like a day without sunshine. Diesels NEED charged air, so much so that in LSR there is no penalty for using a turbo or blower in Diesel classes. They recognize that it's just SOP to make a Diesel go anywhere - and, of course, so many come from the factory with one. Can't figure out why GM didn't build these w/turbo in the first place.

And Dan B - no reason to be "not a Diesel fan." They make great power, are amazingly stout, and generally get better MPG than a similar gas engine. They don't need to be smokey or stinky if built right (the new ones are not). I'd guess you just aren't familiar with them but you weren't born knowing all about gas engines, either.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; December 4, 2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          A Diesel w/o turbo (or some form of charged intake air) is like a day without sunshine. Diesels NEED charged air, so much so that in LSR there is no penalty for using a turbo or blower in Diesel classes. They recognize that it's just SOP to make a Diesel go anywhere - and, of course, so many come from the factory with one. Can't figure out why GM didn't build these w/turbo in the first place.

Dan
          It's 1982, GM, draw-through turbos. Detroit diesels used blowers. But I see your point, after all, why didn't GM come out with the LS motor in 1955 - because CLEARLY it's better then the Gen 1.

Come on Dan, you too?

Comment

Detroits didn't use the blower to make boost...but some of the later ones had a turbo to make boost (in addition to having the scavenging blower).

As much reliability trouble as they had with the 5.7 and 6.2 without boost, I think it was wise not to have turbos on them!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I WANT MY TURBO!!!!!!

Dan

Comment

Detroits didn't use the blower to make boost...but some of the later ones had a turbo to make boost (in addition to having the scavenging blower).

As much reliability trouble as they had with the 5.7 and 6.2 without boost, I think it was wise not to have turbos on them!
                for the zillionth time. the 5.7 and 6.2 are completely different motors. Of course, if you don't know that basic fact, it makes me wonder why you're weighing in at all on it....

as for the 6.2s.... I've turbo'd 2 of them, how many have you turbo'd?
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 4, 2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

of course they're different motors....everyone knows that.

I haven't turbo'd any of them. Do you still have the ones you did?

My fabulous web page

Comment

You put the 5.7 and the 6.2 in the same 'no turbo' bucket.... so you're saying that you've found that they aren't the same? whoa, google is good.

You missed the current Suburban? the one I put an oversized turbo on?

Or are you saying that if I sell the turbo truck or suburban that I forget all I learned with them.... not sure I'm following you. Or I because I sold several that those new owners transferred the knowledge to you?

Heck, I've owned enough turbo 6.2s that I can talk about my experience with all of the available (and no longer available) turbo options. Banks, ATS, GM....

Comment

with a drill and a tap, you might be able to get a spark plug in there? But that's a hell of a lot of compression for even E85. I expect there's enough meat on the tops of the pistons to take some metal off and drop it down to 13, maybe?

neat idea!
                      so why don't you point to where you'll be removing the glow plug and installing the spark plug

Comment

With a 5.7 - the Oldsmobile motor - you simply bolt gas heads on, pull the vacuum pump out and replace it with a Oldsmobile distributor.

not so with a 6.2 because there is no gas head for them and if you look at the head above - those little eyebrows are where the glow plugs reside. They do not enter into the combustion chamber - so if you were to put a spark plug in there, the spark would have a terrible time igniting the mixture because it'd have to somehow get up and into that chamber. The chamber is designed to protect the glow plug from the combustion because if it gets too hot, it'll melt the glow plug, drop the end into the motor and bad, bad things happen next (picture dropping a nut in a motor for similar damage).

again, there's not cheap way of making a 6.2 into a gas motor

Comment

I was just curious to know if the turbo 6.2 was something worth keeping around for a while.

My fabulous web page

Comment

no more or less then any other old vehicle. I like cheap, the 6.2 gets that in spades, cheap to buy, cheap to operate, cheap to maintain. There's so little that can go wrong with them, however, like anything else how they're treated does affect longevity.... never overheat them and it'll last a long time

Comment

cool.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

And Dan B - no reason to be "not a Diesel fan." They make great power, are amazingly stout, and generally get better MPG than a similar gas engine. They don't need to be smokey or stinky if built right (the new ones are not). I'd guess you just aren't familiar with them but you weren't born knowing all about gas engines, either.

Dan
                                I don't hate them , don't mind others having them , I just don't want one . If I were to want to go diesel , it have to be one without all the electronics. As far as any car I fool with , no computer is the way I plan to roll .
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X