No announcement yet.

1967 Firebird Drag week car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you feel confident in your ability to get EFI on an unblown engine tuned properly? or would a carb be better for you?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Saz View Post

Nail on the head. I want it reliable. Everyone that talks about making 10,000 hp for twelve dollars, is running junkyard LS or BBC engines with junkyard or china turbos. How reliable is that 454 with cast pistons, rods and crank pushing a 3600lb car into the 9's? The LS is probably more capable of surviving straight out of the junkyard, but you must lean on that 325 inches a bit harder, right? And yes, the point has been made that an engine swap is about 2 days of work. That's great, but I have another bike build in the works, starting a new job, just moved back to Colorado etc... In my mind, I don't want to worry about the potential ticking time bomb under the hood. I am also pretty set on running pump gas, both on the track and street. Truth be told, I am intrigued by the 632 from Blueprint engines. 800+ hp with a warranty, run on the dyno with the Holley EFI system I want as well?

I am not bashing either method at all. I am running a total basket case engine in one of my current bikes (and have many times in the past), so far it has been great. I also don't lean on it too hard.
      what class do you propose to run in? Street Race, NA, BB the benchmark is 9.2 or the eliminator class is 10.03.... I like the BB idea because the block, inherently has more strength.

just spit-balling, what does a Butler motor cost?
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 17, 2019, 08:45 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I have tuned a few efi engines, mostly harleys and a couple of diesels, so I would be comfortable, just need to learn the new software.

I would love to be in street race bb n/a, but it is all bench racing for me. My home track is Bandimere in Denver, which is at 5800', so what it is going to do closer to sea level is the big question. If it was happening at this elevation, eliminator would be realistic.

A butler motor is a bit pricey for what I want to do....

Comment

Originally posted by Saz View Post
          I have tuned a few efi engines, mostly harleys and a couple of diesels, so I would be comfortable, just need to learn the new software.

I would love to be in street race bb n/a, but it is all bench racing for me. My home track is Bandimere in Denver, which is at 5800', so what it is going to do closer to sea level is the big question. If it was happening at this elevation, eliminator would be realistic.

A butler motor is a bit pricey for what I want to do....
          I sure want to be there this year (with my Buick) but I don't see how, so whatever you do - keep up the posts and keep us up to date, it sounds pretty damn cool

Comment

you have 8 months to get it done... I pulled it off last year, and all I had to do was work on it every day and use up a whole bunch of savings. which is kind of difficult for most folks.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I've got to clear the Corvette from the schedule, then Buick, I refuse to play the stop-start game because it seems like none of it gets done.

Comment

I decided several years ago to play the one at a time game...got rid of the ones I wasn't working on, put that space, time, and money towards the one I wanted to get done. It also helps to have a real deadline, which for me is an event to go to, or a trip to make. I expect this Firebird we're talking about will get done for Drag Week, because it has to be done by July, so he can get some testing in before the trip.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Just to clarify, I'm shooting for drag week 2020- I'm sure it was me that misspoke. Anyways, if my TIG ever gets back from the repair shop, and I stop ordering the wrong subframe connectors, I could get hot on building the cage- which I have never done before. At least not something that will have to pass a NHRA cert.

I do have the savings account to blow and simply order everything at once, but I officially retired from the Army on 1 January, and I dont start with the Sheriff's Department until the 31st, so I am being very cautious with my spending at this time.

I'd love to say I only bite off one project at a time, but I am contemplating buying a fairly rust free international scout with no engine, with the intention of making it my sons first car...

Comment

Good Dad!!!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Good Dad!!!

Dan
                      My son will be 13 this August, which leaves plenty of time to work on it before he is 16. I personally think it would be more fitting than giving him my wife's 13 mustang V6 coupe. It would come with strings attached though, he MUST help wrench on it to get it running. If not, it gets sold and he buys his own car if he wants to drive. It has the 4 speed transfer case and original dana 44s in it, very little rust and the interior is salvageable.

Comment

rust free Scout? I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          rust free Scout? I'm not sure I've ever seen one.
                          We have a really nice one here in town - yellow and white. The owner swears it's a survivor and I believe him (chatted him up in a parking lot).

Dan

Comment

Let me rephrase, it has surprisingly little rust for what it is... Little bit on the rear quarter lips, and lower front fenders, but tailgate, rockers and front is clean. I need to take a closer look, but the guy wants $800 for it. I just don't have anywhere to put it...

Comment

Haven't been on here in a while, but here is an update on the car. The subframes are in and there is a pre-bent 10 point cage in my garage as we speak. I haven't had much time to work on the car for a few reasons. I started a new job on January 31st, and I am in "training" until about July, my TIG maching has blown up TWICE since then (lincoln stepped up and gave me a brand new machine, so kudos to them!) and I need a new roof on the house, which rolled into expanding the garage for more work space.

I have decided on the drivetrain, which will be a 632" BBC from Blueprint with a 4500 body Holley TBI, Gearstar is building me a manual VB 4L80 with brake and 3400 converter, and last a Quick Performance 9" with 35 spline axles, detroit locker and either 3.50 or 3.70 gears. The NA BBC is familiar to me, and lots of cubes is just easy. I'm hoping to have some time to get the cage done before the garage project hits, but I have to find someone around here that will certify it for me.

Comment

dang, there's no messing around there.

Comment

Working...
                                X