Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

71 Ford Torino project car - help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71 Ford Torino project car - help needed!

Hi all

Trying to help a friend of a friend over in southern Germany.

He has a 71 Torino, VIN: F1A30F26248F and is looking to do a power steering and power brake conversion on the vehicle to improve driveability.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image6.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	254.8 KB ID:	1226056Click image for larger version  Name:	image1.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	127.1 KB ID:	1226057Click image for larger version  Name:	image4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	260.5 KB ID:	1226058Click image for larger version  Name:	image5.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	274.0 KB ID:	1226059

He is looking for:

1) A Disc brake Kit for 14 inch Wheels with master brake cylinder

2) Power steering retrofit kit for vehicles originally with manual steering.

We can find a number of different kits online, but does anyone have any personal experience with doing this, or can provide any lessons learned and advice for doing so?
    As the car is overseas we want to try and get the right parts up front, as returns will be complicated and time-consuming.
    Last edited by Red_Kitty; December 30, 2018, 05:34 PM.

Does he want to try and retain some originality or the best parts for the job?

PintoBoy77 (Greg) on here knows a lot about 71 Torinos as he has been CLAIMING to be working on one for the last decade

My 2cents would be to go to a Hydroboost for the power brake booster if you are also going to upgrade to power steering. Additionally, I would upgrade to a powersteering sector/gear as opposed to the hydraulic cylinder that they attached to the drag link on those models. I believe that the 72s had powersteering sectors which MIGHT just bolt up as Ford often didn't change mounting flanges.

These are just my opinions as I am not a Torino expert.

I have one of these on my 66 Fairlane (that would have used a hydraulic cylinder as OEM) - it seems to work OK for my usage.
    http://www.chockostangclassicmustang...eringboxs.html

I suspect there are other companies offering this type of upgrade.

EDIT: Regretfully, Greg (Pintoboy77) is no longer with us so my reference to him will not help.

Last edited by cstmwgn; December 30, 2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X