No announcement yet.

Battle Ax - GMC Suburban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems the previous owner didn't have the trans to transfer case adapter bolts right and the tailshaft area of the case broke and it was gushing like a slaughtered pig . I bought a same year 4L60 of a friend that had bought a nice 94 short bed of a nice older gent . The catch was it's two wheel drive but for 50 bucks I bought it and for 195 I had the tailshaft swapped . Here's some pics of the replacement.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

If your wondering what's the deal with the board .......after I jacked the trans up ....well the assistant jacked it up while I kept it balanced the with the lift kit lowering the torsion I slide the board under the pan and over the bar and did the same at the back with a 1x1 square tube of steel . I was great not having to worry about dropping the trans . Then I put my long started bolts through the bellhousing ot the trans to the matching holes in the back bvbof the block and just slide it in .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

for those who believe that GM was silly when they put the brace from the t-case to the bellhousing... glad you got it fixed (and I've used that same method to hold the trans up when removing the t-case).
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I haven't got it all done mine has some struts to bellhousing to the case flexplate dust cover held in place by 6 3/8 inch bolts . Since my trans was in a 2 wheeler it had a thin stamped steel one held on by 4 really small sheetmetal screws . So the drill will be out today after I get done with my CPR / AED class .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

P.S. mine didn't have a strut to the trans from the Tcase , maybe left off by PO . Got a pic of that ?
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
              I haven't got it all done mine has some struts to bellhousing to the case flexplate dust cover held in place by 6 3/8 inch bolts . Since my trans was in a 2 wheeler it had a thin stamped steel one held on by 4 really small sheetmetal screws . So the drill will be out today after I get done with my CPR / AED class .
              remember "Another One Bites the Dust" is the perfect rhythm for compressions.

Comment

hmmm....I hope you don't discover why they used a different case on the 4wd trucks, with the 6 large bolts on the dust cover. There's a reason for it....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  hmmm....I hope you don't discover why they used a different case on the 4wd trucks, with the 6 large bolts on the dust cover. There's a reason for it....
                  early/late. If you don't have the 6 bolt t-case, you need a new case.... and if you need a new case, it makes little sense not to go full monte and put a 4L80e and t-case in

my googlefu is not finding a picture of the brace - either GM or aftermarket.... the problem is the t-case hangs on the transmission (which really doesn't like that) - thus, crafting something to hold the weight helps save transmissions... that said, or just fix it and keep your eyes open for a 4L80e setup from a 3/4 ton (remember, though, you need the computer too)...

Comment

I'm pretty sure they were using the heavy duty dust cover on the 4x4s before the 700 came along. They need the extra support
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

If I ever replace the trans and case it'll be an NV4500 and what ever is good to go behind it . But I really don't plan on being rough on it and I do like having an auto in my daily. One nice thing about the truck is the surface rust spots visible in the pics is it on rust . She's clean underneath .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Turns out the lip isn't as wide but I drilled the holes and it all looks good .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I replaced the yoke on the rear axle . It sounds like everything is ok . The trans works great as my coworker said it did . Happy , happy , happy !
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            I'm pretty sure they were using the heavy duty dust cover on the 4x4s before the 700 came along. They need the extra support
                            I've had Blazers with both 700R4 and TH350, both had a substantial dust cover casting with a place to bolt a strut to. I also, in my junk pile, had the cast-iron adaptor part from between a manual trans and transfer case that had been used without a strut and had a big ol' crack in it because of that. That whole engine/trans/adaptor/t-case set gets pretty long and definitely needs the help.

My truck that fried had a nice 4L80E and t-case and I had a stand-alone controller sitting in a box too...all sold or given away now. Certainly that trans was the best part of the truck, any time I ever thought it was time to shift it seemed to be reading my mind and it never did the "hunting" thing modern auto transmissions seem to.

Comment

I had it running less than one day . The kid's vette is down for a clutch job I'll try to start tomorrow so Friday we let him have Paul's acura tl drive to work . So we took the 'burn to a town about 30 miles away to go to a mom and pop restaurant and see a movie . Truck died and wouldn't restart after eating . I took the air cleaner off and since it has the next best thing to a carburetor, I had the wife crank it while I watched for it to spray fuel . I was suspecting the fuel pump went out but , it was spraying fuel . Had no tools or a spare spark plug so I couldn't check for spark . Walked across the street watched the movie and got towed home . So now I suspected it was the coil . After charging the battery back up I had Paula crank it while I stuck a spare plug in a wire and watched for spark . No spark . And while I had another cool off the 94 truck engine we put in the kid's vette , I didn't just want to guess and throw parts at it even though they were basically free . So , I got schooled how to test a not in the cap coil and yeah , it was dead . Put the new coil on and the battle axe fired right up .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Update - rear axle still doing fine from the yoke replacement . Had a failure of the right front hub / bearing . It may be the Micky Thompson MTZ tires or the exhaust that has gotten loud again but I never got a warning that it was going out till about a minute before it did . Then I got a couple quick jerks of the wheel about a minute apart . I tried to nurse it back to work but only got to a grocery store just short of work . By that tire the tire was laying over so far that the fortunately smooth tubular A arm of the rough country lift and wore a 1/4 inch deep groove into the knobs on the inside of the tire . And the hub had gotten so hot the the C/V boot had melted half off the big end of the axle . I went back up with tools and Jack's but when the Craftsman socket broke that I was using to get the hub loose from the spindle I threw in the towel and called a tow truck to take it home for 175 bucks . Before the the roll back showed up I went to put the wheel / tire in the back . Oh my , there was no way I could lift that 35 by 12.50 with steel wheel up in the back that is3 feet off the ground . But I got some pics off how I got it in and of the whole experience and repair once home .
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X