No announcement yet.

Battle Ax - GMC Suburban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea how it got broke . That's the way I got it . I finally got tired of it .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Had to put a flex plate in the 'burb . I've had them crack most the way around but never all the way ! They stop moving after this ! Also got a couple new tires . 35 12.50 15 Micky Thompson Baja MTZ .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That flexplate ain't gonna work! Seems like it's always somethin'.

That's a lot of balance weights on that M/T. Did they try rotating the tire on the rim before balancing? Sometimes it gets a lot better.

Dan

Comment

I wasn't there when they did it but one of my other two is the same way .
          The first replacement flexplate came out of my stash in the garage . After tightening the trans to the motor I noticed that it was missing several teeth .......and I had it in backward . I had one more and I put it in . The starter still wouldn't engage . I had Austin crank it over while I watched from underneath. Yep , this one was the smaller size. So , I had to go through the starter drawer and find one the would fit . I have all the luck !
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Time for a update . The trans that I put in the suburban slowly went out . It got to losing OD and 3rd after 5 minutes of driving . 1st and 2nd were fine as well as reverse . Funny think is I found it I drove 40 or less it would keep working . So , I stopped driving it on the interstate to work for two months . Fortunately there are surface streets that go pretty much straight to work. Even though its shorter , it takes about 10 to 15 minutes longer . Eventually 3 and 4 left but even with 3.42 years the 35 inch tires kept the revs at 35 to around 2200 rpms . Well , Thanksgiving night it went totally out . Time for a plan . My wife found another 94 GM truck..... a 3/4 though so maybe the trans with be a little more robust . I've driven it for to weeks and the shift points seems higher and it seems to gear itself down went slowing instead of somewhat freewheeling then finding the appropriate gear upon giving it the gas again .Seems a shame picking the organs and bone of a perfectly working truck but I get a spare couple doors , doghouse , another engine for the white vette , spare rear and front axle and more . I should get out there we hod a mild day yesterday and the next 3 days look the same . Since the 'burb doesn't fit height wise in the garage I better make use of the weather . Picks of the parts truck to come latter to day . It's really a shame . Even has good tires .
            Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 21, 2019, 08:54 AM.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Good luck on that. Once I got heat in the shop (back in MI, 3 shops ago) I've never looked back.

Dan

Comment

Pics of the donor truck . Other than the rear fenders and the rusty rocker ( hid by the running boards . ) it's really nice . I'll be using lots of stuff on the suburban .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Sweet Suburban! Battle axe is a great name for one, I call mine "Pig Rig", based on the weight, and the fuel consumption!
                  "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                  1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                  2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
                    Sweet Suburban! Battle axe is a great name for one, I call mine "Pig Rig", based on the weight, and the fuel consumption!
                    I weighed mine and it was 6000 pounds . One wheel and tire is 92 lbs .
                    How about a pic of yours .
                    Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 22, 2019, 12:16 AM.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

I weighed mine and it was 6000 pounds . One wheel and tire is 92 lbs .
                      How about a pic of yours .
                      here it is in the wild:

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                      1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                      2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Very cool , I wanted a one like that . Really wanted a solid axle .but I fell in love with this one for the low cash entry fee !
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

You're one Ford dana 60 swap away from a solid front axle, heck people make kits to do the swap....
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            You're one Ford dana 60 swap away from a solid front axle, heck people make kits to do the swap....
                            That really is the long range plain but at this point if I can alignment will get the lean out of my front tires I'll be happy . Plus all the spare half shafts , calipers and rotors .Plus I'll have another 3.42 diff . I've now got two 6 lug 3/4 ton 14 bolts . I feel rich . I just wonder why my 3/4 ton 14 bolts aren't 8 lug . Never heard of it till these .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

semi-float 14 bolts, all the weight of a 14 bolt with all the strength of a 10 bolt. I'm not a fan (and I blew one up literally just driving it down the street)
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It's a good thing I now have two . Seems this organ donor wasn't as good a truck as I thought, structurally . The crossmember on the drivers side was almost rusted away where it overlaps the frame . And te frame isn't any good either . So , no guilt . Pics in next post .
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X