• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, all the windows and vent windows and cowl vent open just fine
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

been driving the Hudson around the past few days, it seems to be getting better....or I'm getting used to it. I added a bluetooth stereo and cruise control, the blinkers all work, the temp gage is working well, the gas gauge needs some work but it will let me know when it's down to half a tank (by reading Empty). The overdrive is working fine, the clutch chatters some times especially when cold, but it mostly shifts and drives good. Brakes are great (for drum brakes), steering and suspension are ok. I even got the heater working today, and ordered some defroster duct, for when it starts raining. I sent off the mechanical fuel pump to get rebuilt, it's a combination vacuum/fuel pump. the vacuum is for the wipers. I might send off the wiper motor to get rebuilt, too, it's a bit iffy, but does sort of work under load (I put some blades on it, finally).

I even took Janet out for dinner in the old car Tuesday night. I usually can't get her into these old wrecks
      My fabulous web page

Comment

So what did she think? After all, this WAS a luxury car in its day.

Dan

Comment

no complaints, so I guess it was ok.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            I added a bluetooth stereo and cruise control,
            Whoa....hold the phone.....how exactly does one add cruise control to a Hudson Hornet?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Whoa....hold the phone.....how exactly does one add cruise control to a Hudson Hornet?
              Kinda like a choke cable...

Comment

you mean a throttle cable? not quite!

I bought a Rostra GlobalCruise unit about 10 years ago to put on wife's 2008 Silverado...it didn't work very well on it, after a couple years I got the right FBW system for the truck. Then I put the cruise on the 57 Suburban, it didn't work too well, so I swapped it with the R-16 that I had put on the first Miata. The GlobalCruise worked ok on that...then after we sold that car, I put the cruise on the 78 F250. When I sold that truck, I kept the cruise, then put it on the Corvair. My brother took it off when he bought the car from me. I next put the cruise on the LaSalle, and my brother took it off after we finished the Route Sucky-Suck LeMons Rally. So now I have it on the Hudson, and it seems to work ok, although it needs help sometimes getting up hills. I need to play with the gain and set-up timer settings, and probably take some slack out of the cable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	1243299

Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1243300
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Knew you'd catch that, Jim..

Comment

heh..

Anyways, I figured out what's "wrong" with the gas gauge...it works fine! it's the dang vent tube that won't let me fill it up with more than about 8 gallons, that's the problem. Ran out of gas on the way home from Tucson today. Oops.

My fabulous web page

Comment

How's this one doing Jim? Got a timeslip yet?
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

X2! Hudsons are way cool and Jim is the only person I know that's messing with one.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; July 4, 2019, 07:28 PM.

Comment

waiting for some engine parts....ordered rings and gaskets, got the gaskets, no rings yet.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

No bearings??

Comment

I don't know about Jim but I lost my bearings years ago!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                                I don't know about Jim but I lost my bearings years ago!

Dan
                                Huh? I thought it was marbles?

Comment

Working...
                                X