Project Tom - '90 Volvo 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Tom - '90 Volvo 240

My youngest son Wes turns 14 in a month - he bought a truck when he was 10, and has done some repairs to it - but in my view it has not been challenging enough for him to learn some things I would like him to know.

Enter the Volvo.

We went to check it out, and Wes picked up a good vibe from it and liked its quirkyness.

Click image for larger version  Name:	JGRLym5.jpg Views:	2 Size:	200.7 KB ID:	1243289

So we brought it home. Florida car, no rust as per Ohio definitions, 151,000 miles, it actually runs/drives/stops but has a bad head gasket.

Supposedly.

That info is from the PO. I have verified nothing yet, and may not even care as to the condition of the original drive train.

Turns out our new pup at 14 weeks is a photo-bomber too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	llA3nKy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	299.0 KB ID:	1243290

It drove on the trailer, and drove off the trailer. Runs/idles a bit rough but has not stalled.

Wow, this picture turned out poorly. It actually looks fairly good. Looks like something Pheasant sized hit the grill and passenger headlight, breaking the plastic mounting tabs. Headlights are cloudy anyways and there is a birthday on the near horizon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EAAq6xj.jpg Views:	1 Size:	136.8 KB ID:	1243291
    lllll
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STINEY; May 17, 2019, 08:51 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Just guessing here, but thinking your son needs to learn patience and how to calculate stalks-of-wheat-per-hour (it's what they use in the midwest when the farmer is on their tractor and it is a fraction of the mile per hour top speed).....
    Or, maybe he wants to learn to be a bricklayer? they make good money
    Or he hasn't had enough swedish meatball jokes in his life?
    Or, this is a response to his brother's recent driving escapade?

First cars.... the lower you start, the better all subsequent seem.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 17, 2019, 08:55 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You know how Dad's can be. What we lack in agility, we make up for in deviousness.

With this son, its a matter of learning boundaries and restraint.

You know the Screaming Chickens that Firebirds have? Wes wants to put a Screaming Swedish Chef on his hood.

Yeah. He's a great kid, you'd like him. He makes the perfect willing accomplice.

And there may be a package coming from JagsThatRun.
      Last edited by STINEY; May 17, 2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I'll be following along. I have a strange attraction to old Swedish cars build before Ford and GM came in and screwed them up

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

n.

So you're teaching your child to flog swedish meatballs....

Comment

I know a bit about making Volvos "interesting" - in fact, I'm heading out the door to put a couple of finishing touches on the one in the shop. The SBF swap is a good one in these. I'll watch this thread and am more than happy to lend advise. I'd like to see a SBM swap into one of these just to be different..... 340/360 cubes ought to work.

BTW - that's a 244. It goes by the number of doors - the coupe is a 242 (not sure if they imported any of those by 1990), yours is a 244, and Dick's wagon is a 245 with the rear gate counting as door #5.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; May 17, 2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

BMW V12 would be a nice addition

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                If it is going to be a teaching experience wouldn't a 12 cylinder jag be better?

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  You know how Dad's can be. What we lack in agility, we make up for in deviousness.

You know the Screaming Chickens that Firebirds have? Wes wants to put a Screaming Swedish Chef on his hood.

Yeah. He's a great kid, you'd like him. He makes the perfect willing accomplice.

And there may be a package coming from JagsThatRun.
                  One like on the Jags that run isn't enough . LIKE , LIKE , LIKE ! . LOVE THERE STUFF . GREAT QUALITY . I've bought three SBC S10 stuff a few times .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

240's are the epitome of hipstermobiles. You could triple your money sellin it to a hipster once it's sorted, no bs..

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

One like on the Jags that run isn't enough . LIKE , LIKE , LIKE ! . LOVE THERE STUFF . GREAT QUALITY . I've bought three SBC S10 stuff a few times .
                      Another vote for Jags That Run - I have their driveshaft adaptor in Mutt to convert the Mercedes output flange to a good ol' U-joint driveline - works perfectly.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

If it is going to be a teaching experience wouldn't a 12 cylinder jag be better?
                        would rather it run.... then again, bosch v. lucas would be a non-working black hole.

Comment

I might know of an affordable already rebuilt SBF....
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I floated the idea of a Jag X type, the crappy Ford Mondeo/Fusion rebody, to SWMBO for my boy's first car. So far her only complaint is the couple of cars I've shown her online have had "interesting" choice of interior colours. One was black with "tan" leather that looked more orange and another was white with red leather.
                            I might add that my first car was a Mk2 Triumph 2000 sedan in white with red interior, vinyl/"leathercloth" though.
                            And my dad's first car was a Triumph Herald coupe in red, with red vinyl interior.
                            Last edited by irsa76; May 23, 2019, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Delivery day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIEglAE.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1243819

Click image for larger version

Name:	98QWg59.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1243818
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by STINEY; May 23, 2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X