X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    Gonna leave this here. The panhard bar on these really limits the real estate around the rear axle.
    The Panhard on Dick's is a big ol' aftermarket one about 2X the diameter of yours. His handles pretty well for a wagon so I'm guessing it works. The guy who built the wagon's exhaust did a great job (want a pic?) though I'll have to modify the right rear tailpipe when I install the deep fuel tank. BTW - those tanks are $118 (includes freight) on line and they have a built-in drain plug so they're relatively easy to replace. Hope you don't need to know that but just in case.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    no sidepipes?

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Gonna leave this here. The panhard bar on these really limits the real estate around the rear axle.

I'm using the small alternator, you can see the in the picture the difference in the height compared to the manifold. Did u have to trim the hood?

Click image for larger version

Name:	qt7gyH2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1252241
    Last edited by STINEY; September 26, 2019, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Extraction complete.

Name:	YC5gecx.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	1252204

Name:	ecLJBQL.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	1252205

Wes bought a Harbor Freight stand and its in the shop awaiting new seals, gaskets, and a fresh paint job.

Name:	isPe8rH.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	1252206

Name:	34sANjM.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	1252207

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    Could be worse ! Had this happen to my suburban last week . I put the one in on the right then noticed after tightening the bellhousing bolts and front shaft universal bolts that it had 3 missing teeth. And in my haste I also put it in backward .

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    The van hasn't moved under its own power for 14-15 years, so while my guess is that it appeared right before the new starter was installed that particular moment was far in the past, lol. PLENTY o'time for that crack to rust.

My original intent was to pull and reinstall the engine/trans as a unit. I just last week decided to change that and have Wes pull the trans from underneath just for the experience.

Glad for that!
    Last edited by STINEY; September 12, 2019, 12:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    better to catch it now before it's settled and bolted up in it's new home!

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Looks like an old crack? Shiney in the crack, Stiney?

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Youngest got the trans pulled this past weekend. Everything is done ready to pull the engine next.

I really wanted him to fire it while still in the van, just to make sure all was still well. The ring gear had a bunch of munched teeth from a failed starter that the rear main leak put too much oil into, and the starter shorted in the "spin engine" position. Ate the ring gear before I could get the battery unhooked. This was also the last hurrah for the yellow van as it was too rusty to haul the kiddos in when they were babies. So it has sat since then.

The good news is it fired right up with only a couple of seconds of cranking. I cheated - pulled the starter, removed the shims from between the starter and block, and reinstalled the starter. Figured that would help make up for the chewed up flex plate teeth, and it worked. Vroom. Oil pressure was a nice 60 at high idle, charging at 14v, no temp gauge as the coolant was already drained. Perfect.

Yanked the gauges and starter, noticed this on the flex plate. Guess that episode with the runaway starter did more damage than I thought.

Oh well. The teeth were shot anyways, and I have spares.

Click image for larger version  Name:	W2Vf5me.jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.5 KB ID:	1251327
    Last edited by STINEY; September 11, 2019, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Oh Bob, you and your stories, everyone knows the Fed Up guy doesn't exist....
    Stops at my house about 7 am if anything is shipped Fed Up..
    Or 8 pm. Never between the times...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Afternoon they saved me from the Fed Ex guy, ...
    Oh Bob, you and your stories, everyone knows the Fed Up guy doesn't exist....

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    So far mine saved me from the old couple walking hand in hand, the teenaged dog walker, the UPS man and the mailman all before noon,
    Afternoon they saved me from the Fed Ex guy, the local church charity door knockers and the Kirby salesman...
    They are now sleeping, exhausted from saving my old ash...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

they all have jobs at my house. they keep the elephants away.... so far, a perfect job.
    Mine have the same assignment. Likewise, a perfect record to date.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    Can't argue with success .

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post

Some animals have jobs and earn their keep, my dog is good for unconditional love, and making hair appear on everything I own. While the first is pretty cool I am not always sure it out weights the second and the cost of ownership.
    they all have jobs at my house. they keep the elephants away.... so far, a perfect job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X