No announcement yet.

Project Tom - '90 Volvo 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But..... Those in the equestrian business are growing horses to be sold for (hopefully) profit much like beef cattle or sheep. It can take as many as 7 years for that investment to pay off as a result of breeding, allowing the horse to grow up, then subsequent training for the intended purpose for the horse to be marketable. It is a legitimate business and people do make a living that way. So horse farming is a legitimate farm. The real question is why don't these rules apply to canine business? I have no clue on that one.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      But..... Those in the equestrian business are growing horses to be sold for (hopefully) profit much like beef cattle or sheep. It can take as many as 7 years for that investment to pay off as a result of breeding, allowing the horse to grow up, then subsequent training for the intended purpose for the horse to be marketable. It is a legitimate business and people do make a living that way. So horse farming is a legitimate farm. The real question is why don't these rules apply to canine business? I have no clue on that one.

Dan
      I think the key is profit. If you are a breeder / producer / value adder of stock, with the intention to sell and make a profit, then I can see you being a farmer. But hay burners just as my kibble burner is a pet not a business. My dog like a lot of people's horses is a liability not a producer.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

I think the key is profit. If you are a breeder / producer / value adder of stock, with the intention to sell and make a profit, then I can see you being a farmer. But hay burners just as my kibble burner is a pet not a business. My dog like a lot of people's horses is a liability not a producer.
        True! I'll see your kibble burner and raise you one!

I actually was in the horse business for a while as a side gig. We had a horse trailer and charged folks to take their horses to shows or wherever (usually, our horse was in the other stall). Never did make much at it but we DID try. That was with Wife #2.

Dan

Comment

I thought we were talking about a Volvo?
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
            Sorry. We kinda went off track (pretty normal around here).

Dan

Comment

Like you have never seen a side track here
              I am jealous that you can do an engine swap on a 1990 and not have the State bust your balls. Here in the communist state of North Cacalacky they inspect cars for 35 years. If you don't have a "guy" it's a royal pain. Most stations don't want to inspect my mustang fearing I am out to bust them.
              A couple years ago a guy gave me a hard time because it had a manual rack and pinion and no power steering pump. Hopefully inspection will go well this year. Last year I took it back to the place that did it before and left the previous years receipt on the seat showing they passed it last year.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

BTW... Dairy farmers don't get a day off... Cows must be milked twice a day minimum, or they dry up... Cousin runs a dairy farm with 1100 head, milks 3 times a day... 3 shifts, Holding tank is one of three 3000 gallon trailers
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The farmer is harvesting milk that is sold, milk is food. Therefore dairy = farm.

Having pet horses is not a farm.
                  I double dog dare you to approach an udder with something sharp and used in harvesting.... milk is a product as is meat....
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 3, 2019, 02:54 PM.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'll mention that to the subject the next time our dogs find a one....

Comment

what is this, BS purity?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I'll mention that to the subject the next time our dogs find a one....
                        Some animals have jobs and earn their keep, my dog is good for unconditional love, and making hair appear on everything I own. While the first is pretty cool I am not always sure it out weights the second and the cost of ownership.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Some animals have jobs and earn their keep, my dog is good for unconditional love, and making hair appear on everything I own. While the first is pretty cool I am not always sure it out weights the second and the cost of ownership.
                          they all have jobs at my house. they keep the elephants away.... so far, a perfect job.

Comment

Can't argue with success .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

they all have jobs at my house. they keep the elephants away.... so far, a perfect job.
                              Mine have the same assignment. Likewise, a perfect record to date.

Dan

Comment

So far mine saved me from the old couple walking hand in hand, the teenaged dog walker, the UPS man and the mailman all before noon,
                                Afternoon they saved me from the Fed Ex guy, the local church charity door knockers and the Kirby salesman...
                                They are now sleeping, exhausted from saving my old ash...

Comment

Working...
                                X