Project Tom - '90 Volvo 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Afternoon they saved me from the Fed Ex guy, ...
    Oh Bob, you and your stories, everyone knows the Fed Up guy doesn't exist....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Oh Bob, you and your stories, everyone knows the Fed Up guy doesn't exist....
      Stops at my house about 7 am if anything is shipped Fed Up..
      Or 8 pm. Never between the times...

Comment

Youngest got the trans pulled this past weekend. Everything is done ready to pull the engine next.

I really wanted him to fire it while still in the van, just to make sure all was still well. The ring gear had a bunch of munched teeth from a failed starter that the rear main leak put too much oil into, and the starter shorted in the "spin engine" position. Ate the ring gear before I could get the battery unhooked. This was also the last hurrah for the yellow van as it was too rusty to haul the kiddos in when they were babies. So it has sat since then.

The good news is it fired right up with only a couple of seconds of cranking. I cheated - pulled the starter, removed the shims from between the starter and block, and reinstalled the starter. Figured that would help make up for the chewed up flex plate teeth, and it worked. Vroom. Oil pressure was a nice 60 at high idle, charging at 14v, no temp gauge as the coolant was already drained. Perfect.

Yanked the gauges and starter, noticed this on the flex plate. Guess that episode with the runaway starter did more damage than I thought.

Oh well. The teeth were shot anyways, and I have spares.

Click image for larger version  Name:	W2Vf5me.jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.5 KB ID:	1251327
        Last edited by STINEY; September 11, 2019, 12:57 PM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Looks like an old crack? Shiney in the crack, Stiney?

Comment

better to catch it now before it's settled and bolted up in it's new home!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The van hasn't moved under its own power for 14-15 years, so while my guess is that it appeared right before the new starter was installed that particular moment was far in the past, lol. PLENTY o'time for that crack to rust.

My original intent was to pull and reinstall the engine/trans as a unit. I just last week decided to change that and have Wes pull the trans from underneath just for the experience.

Glad for that!
              Last edited by STINEY; September 12, 2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Could be worse ! Had this happen to my suburban last week . I put the one in on the right then noticed after tightening the bellhousing bolts and front shaft universal bolts that it had 3 missing teeth. And in my haste I also put it in backward .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Extraction complete.

Click image for larger version

Name:	YC5gecx.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	1252204

Name:	ecLJBQL.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	1252205

Wes bought a Harbor Freight stand and its in the shop awaiting new seals, gaskets, and a fresh paint job.

Name:	isPe8rH.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	1252206

Name:	34sANjM.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	1252207

Comment

Gonna leave this here. The panhard bar on these really limits the real estate around the rear axle.

I'm using the small alternator, you can see the in the picture the difference in the height compared to the manifold. Did u have to trim the hood?

Name:	qt7gyH2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1252241
                    Last edited by STINEY; September 26, 2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

no sidepipes?

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        Gonna leave this here. The panhard bar on these really limits the real estate around the rear axle.
                        The Panhard on Dick's is a big ol' aftermarket one about 2X the diameter of yours. His handles pretty well for a wagon so I'm guessing it works. The guy who built the wagon's exhaust did a great job (want a pic?) though I'll have to modify the right rear tailpipe when I install the deep fuel tank. BTW - those tanks are $118 (includes freight) on line and they have a built-in drain plug so they're relatively easy to replace. Hope you don't need to know that but just in case.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          The guy who built the wagon's exhaust did a great job (want a pic?)

BTW - those tanks are $118 (includes freight) on line and they have a built-in drain plug so they're relatively easy to replace. Hope you don't need to know that but just in case.
                          We would love a picture or ten. Absolutely. Please and thank you.

And I hope we don’t need to know that either, but it is sure good to know. Does Dick find his wagen to be severely range limited with the V8? Must be the case to perform the work of grafting 2 tanks together?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            no sidepipes?
                            The teenager in me wants to run the exhaust out in front of the rear tires. Either on both sides or both out one side, but true duals either way. The adult side says true duals out the back under the axle, probably both on one side just for the EuroTrash Vibe.

Comment

We would love a picture or ten. Absolutely. Please and thank you.

And I hope we don’t need to know that either, but it is sure good to know. Does Dick find his wagen to be severely range limited with the V8? Must be the case to perform the work of grafting 2 tanks together?
                              1) Yes, he's spending a lot of time at the gas station. That tank is only about 16 gallons and the 347 has a drinking problem (well, a heavy right foot probably contributes as well).

2) The exhaust on the wagon exits in 2 side-by-side pipes on the right side. It adds to the sleeper vibe as it looks like maybe an Anza or some such system. His was made by a guy in (IIRC) Connecticut who had done a number of them and it's really a nice job. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Dan

Comment

The teenager in me wants to run the exhaust out in front of the rear tires. Either on both sides or both out one side, but true duals either way. The adult side says true duals out the back under the axle, probably both on one side just for the EuroTrash Vibe.
                                you're building this for a teenager, you should have no valid reason against any of those....

Comment

Working...
                                X