No announcement yet.

Project Tom - '90 Volvo 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When first reading that I was thinking of your Dad getting loaded in a liquid kind of way.

Didn’t quite make sense. Then I figured out the logger part and it all came together for me. Lol.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Mud gets knee deep in Nov... Remember following the cat or truck's tracks. Had just enough time to walk thru before the sides collapsed.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        When first reading that I was thinking of your Dad getting loaded in a liquid kind of way.

Didn’t quite make sense. Then I figured out the logger part and it all came together for me. Lol.
        I thought the saaaaame thing!
        1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
        1997 Mustang GT
        sigpic

Comment

• Short logger, long logger, poles... Poles used to have a guy steering the trailer...now? Remote control from the cab

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            Short logger, long logger, poles... Poles used to have a guy steering the trailer...now? Remote control from the cab
            Bob, I think you just went to incomprehensible.... what do pollacks have to do with this?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Pole haulers. Like tellyfone poles. Long.

Comment

• BIrthday presents get installed. All the plastic stuff - lights, markers, grill - were badly faded, cracked, or badly broken so we tackled the pile of boxes in the backseat.

Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	IuGLOoc.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	1261685

After

Name:	BtsZ7aG.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	1261686

Glamour shot

Name:	2QiWAqc.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	1261687

Comment

• There was still plenty of time after the front end refresh so we dove into something a little more tricky.

The upper strut bushings are rubber and the originals last a long time until they start deforming and cracking. Left alone long enough they can completely fail causing the strut insert to be in places it shouldn't.

Unfortunately this part is obsolete from the OEM and the aftermarket ones have the reputation of lasting months instead of decades before failing.

Fortunately there is a fellow selling repair/strengthing plates for the damaged originals. They slip between the strut tower on the body and the upper strup/spring backet, giving tons of support to the bushing with the simple method of a smaller center hole.

For the money its hard to pass up, so I bought a set for both Volvos.

New plate on top

Name:	0ChiniA.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	1261693

New plate tucked in on top of strut

Name:	2zCnaSJ.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	1261694

And all snugged up. The first side took us 45 minutes, the second took 5 minutes. That second set of hands comes in mighty handy.

Name:	D8JzZTN.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	1261695

Comment

• I need to look at Dick's Volvo and see if that's needed. It has a bajillion miles on it but has been well maintained so it might have had these replaced with OEM at some point. Anyhow, worth a look.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      I need to look at Dick's Volvo and see if that's needed. It has a bajillion miles on it but has been well maintained so it might have had these replaced with OEM at some point. Anyhow, worth a look.

Dan
                      Definitely worth a look. Adding the plates is relatively easy, replacing that bushing could lead to a whole lot of WHILE WE ARE IN THIS FAR.....

Here is the link to the guy. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=344559

You have to register to see stuff on Turbobricks but the guy is very easy to deal with.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Definitely worth a look. Adding the plates is relatively easy, replacing that bushing could lead to a whole lot of WHILE WE ARE IN THIS FAR.....

Here is the link to the guy. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=344559

You have to register to see stuff on Turbobricks but the guy is very easy to deal with.
                        I'm already registered but I haven't been on there much. I was looking for wiring info and though they tried they were only marginally helpful. Dick wants me to post up my fuel tank expansion project.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X