No announcement yet.

1985 Fiero build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far the powers that be on here don't seem to mind links to other forums so all should be well.

As far as Northstars - as I noted folks have work-arounds for their weaknesses, none of which as I recall were too major. I think that would make a nifty Fiero.

Dan

Comment

I do like that the N* has the 60° bellhousing.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
        I do like that the N* has the 60° bellhousing.
        Mostly at least. I keep that in the back of my mind about building a transaxle setup for my Riviera using the XLR's torque tube to bolt to a 3800 V6.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

well, I'm back for a short spell, but I'll be at work more than home for the next couple of weeks, so progress will be very limited. I'm looking at a new turbo for the car, I'm thinking about a precision 6262, but I might go with something a smidge smaller, I'd prefer to have power come on fast, than to have a crazy huge peak number. I haven't decided whether or not I'll buy a new turbo now, or until I get back and have time to play with it.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
          1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
          2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

This is the time that I always suggest Tim's Turbos. They're in Falls Church, VA but he ships mine here to NC so that's not really an issue. Tim's a good guy and VERY helpful.

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I've been working with a guy at Precision, and I think I'm going to go with them. At this point, I think I've narrowed it down to two or three turbos, I'm going to stick with a journal bearing unit, most likely a precision 5858 CEA, 5862 CEA, or maybe a 6262 CEA

Either way it will get a V-band turbing housing and ported compressor cover. I probably won't pull the trigger until mid October though, I have too much going on at work to mess with it ATM.

I re-ordered the header flanges today, hopefully they get here quick so that if I get a day off before I get back to sea I can start on the manifolds. I think my goal of having it running before years end is quickly fading into non existence.
              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

I'm pretty much settled on going with a 6262 CEA. I was going to start the manifolds today, but looking at the flanges and the pipe I have for them, I see a significant size mismatch that I don't want to work with. I plan to have a head sent to someone who can make a more accurate flange made so that I can get something a little nicer made that suits my needs a little better. if anyone knows of a good shop to have a set of header flanges made in 304 and at least 3/8" thick, I'd love to hear options.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

where are you again.... if you want to program it, I have the plasma table for cutting it.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm in Bremerton, if I can get an accurate drawing made up myself, I'll take you up on that. Do you just need a CAD file and material?

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

yes and a bit of notice

Comment

Awesome, I'll start working on a drawing! thanks!

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

started taking a few measurements on the flanges...

The drawing is almost done but I want to print it on paper first to verify the fitment before I have it cut in 304ss.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
                            started taking a few measurements on the flanges...

The drawing is almost done but I want to print it on paper first to verify the fitment before I have it cut in 304ss.
                            that's a lot easier then you think.... replace the plasma torch with a felt-tip pen and press play

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

that's a lot easier then you think.... replace the plasma torch with a felt-tip pen and press play
                              I figured I could just print it with an inkjet and make coarse adjustments from there, I have pretty high confidence that my measurements are good, but the only way to know, is to make it real.

the drawing is done, short of a trial fit, but I might need to tweak it again for some other small changes.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

cool, I'll be around tomorrow if you want to come practice - otherwise, my next availability is next Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X