1985 Fiero build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some fun, some not fun.

lots of progress on the new front plate, it took two takes, the first, take, I made it too tall, and without enough material to notch it for the axle to pass through. take two, I made the entire mount much taller with a large sweeping notch to clear the axle. I also made a plate that bolts to the oil pan to help stiffen the mount

here was the first go.

and here is the second I intentionally made it way wider than it needs to be so I can trim it back to fit the cradle.

and here is the brace that bolts to the oil pan, again, with lots of extra material so it can be trimmed back.

I also spent about an hour swapping all 24 lifter springs in my stock replacement springs for springs out of a set of LS7 springs, is the work worth it? not sure, the LS7's rev way higher than a stock 3500, and many of the SBC guys rave about the LS7 lifters in their gen 1 SBC's, so hopefully they're worth something. I have the lifters soaking in oil right now, tomorrow morning I am going to drop them in, and get the lower intake, and valve covers on for good.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
    1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
    2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

a little bit of today's progress, I decided to take a break from the mounts.

all of the lifters are installs, and the retainers, and the pushrods and rockers.

The heater pipe taps off of the intake manifold near the thermostat, and goes up and over the valve covers like so:

I didn't really care for this layout, it obstructs access to the valve cover, and is kinda ugly, so I decided I could do better. I got started by cutting it up, and then I welded it back together in a manner I like better.

The pipe will run straight under the head, and pop out just below the alternator bracket, under the belt. this will end up much more compact than what I had before, and look much cleaner, I would have it finished tonight, if I hadn't run out of material...
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

instead of getting some sleep so I can be rested in the morning, I decided to do some more work.

This gives a general idea of the routing described earlier, unfortunately, this piece is aluminum, and the rest is steel, or else I'd be a step closer to being done.

this picture shows what is one of what will be 2 mounting tabs, one here on the head, and one on the side of the block near the alternator. it also gives a visual representation of how much clearance exists to the coolant temperature sensor, which should be more than adequate to allow for future replacement.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

I now have a functional intake manifold again, the old one was badly warped from the welders, I suspect that they welded it without any pre heat in typical lazy pensacola "professional" attitude. I pre heated the manifold with my casting furnace torch, and was able to weld it without problem. without the pre heat, I'm not sure my welder would have had enough heat to do it. the welds look like crap, I'm going to blame that on the casting having impurities, but it's really because I suck.

I can mount the throttle either way, if hood clearance is an issue, I'll mount it upside down to gain about 1.5" of clearance. which has the added benefit of locating the electrical connector closer to where the wiring will be routed.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

many of the people who do the beautiful welds have a first pass that looks like that, then they overlay dimes on top.... next time you're admiring aluminum welds, look for weld wash that doesn't fit the dime pattern....
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              many of the people who do the beautiful welds have a first pass that looks like that, then they overlay dimes on top.... next time you're admiring aluminum welds, look for weld wash that doesn't fit the dime pattern....
              Honestly, I would love it if they were dimes, but I don't cheat like that, I do the best I can, and sometimes it show's that the best I can, ain't that great, but at least I did it.

I didn't have much time to work today, so I worked on a smaller project, I tacked these stainless bungs to the stock 3500 rail, the intention is to build a parallel flow setup to provide even fuel pressure to all 6 injectors. if I can remember, I'm going to mail off my decapped LX9 injectors fuel injectors for flow testing. FYI, stock 3500 fuel rails have a very small orifice to feed one fuel rail through, for a stock application, it isn't a problem, it may be a problem for applications making double the power. The two bungs closest to the throttle body in the pictures will be the supplies, the near bungs will be the return lines. I'll fully weld the bungs once I have a proper purge rig to ensure the weld doesn't sugar on the backside.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by ejs262 View Post

Honestly, I would love it if they were dimes, but I don't cheat like that, I do the best I can, and sometimes it show's that the best I can, ain't that great, but at least I did it.
                first, your welds look just fine
                and
                second, making it pretty isn't cheating. my entire point was if you want pretty, you can make it pretty.... now my opinion, it looks great from my house no matter what you do.

and I will say that the hardest thing to get over after going to SEMA is not letting perfect get in the way of done. Though at this point, I'd like a few wins that get me closer to the end zone....

Comment

first, your welds look just fine
                  and
                  second, making it pretty isn't cheating. my entire point was if you want pretty, you can make it pretty.... now my opinion, it looks great from my house no matter what you do.

and I will say that the hardest thing to get over after going to SEMA is not letting perfect get in the way of done. Though at this point, I'd like a few wins that get me closer to the end zone....
                  to me, making dimes by going back over the welds is cheating. but it's not really important. unfortunately, I'm going to be pretty busy with work for the next few months, progress is probably going to be very minimal. I think the fuel rail project may have also hit a few snags, I'm still looking for a way forward, but I may just end up making a set of rails.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

I picked myself up a little present today, the trans on top is a 3.63:1 FY1 F23, I'm going to swap a 60V6 bellhousing onto it and run it instead of my current 3.94:1.

I used one of my old transmissions as a test mule to figure out how it comes apart, a diagram would have made the process much faster, but oh well. there's a plastic cap inside the bellhousing that I need to figure out where I can get a replacement for, but other than that, I think I can have the new transmission ready to go by tomorrow night.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

I have the case put back together, all I need now is the seal cap that goes over the intermediate shaft. the dealer didn't have any, so I ordered one, it should be here tuesday. the good news, is that I can at least bolt it to the engine and start making new mounts. I think the new mount will be odd looking, but should be plenty strong, and may also end up supporting the shift linkages. I plan to route the cables similar to how Fieroguru does, by putting a small hole in the fuel tank tunnel, and routing the cables out through the hole where the filler neck is. I'm pretty sure 'Guru does it mostly for aesthetic reasons, I'm doing it so that the cables will have a more direct line on the shift linkage, without being in the way of other stuff. I think it should help me get my turbo plumbing more compact and closer to the engine. I'll post a write up of the bell swap sometime later this week or next, it's actually pretty easy and can be done with typical garage tools if you don't swap the input shaft.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Stock 2200 input shaft:

Shortened Ecotec input shaft:

it's fairly easy to do

1. Measure and mark the new input shaft.
                        2. With a drill, and an 8MM allen driver, spin the intermediate shaft
                        3. carefully grind back the shaft with an angle grinder.

Precise, no. does it really need to be? no, just needs a bit of clearance.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

The engine and transmission are bolted back together, it's not a permanent mating though, I'm still waiting on the cap that goes inside the bellhousing, but with them together, I can work the mounts.

I started work on the transmission mounts today, the rough shape has been cut out, and tomorrow, I plan to get them a little closer to final welding.

here is the front mount, originally, I would have preferred to keep the front mount bushings coaxial, but the more I look at it, the more I think that's not going to happen based on the placement of the crossmember, AC compressor, and bushing location. The excess material forward of the bellhousing will also get trimmed back, and a re-enforcing strip added the length top to bottom.

Here is the rear mount, the rear bushing should be able to be made coaxial without too much effort, the bushings will be just below the crossmember, unless I change my mind and make new mounts that put it on the face of the crossmember. it will also get a strap to re-enforce the mount, it may be a bit overkill, but as I like to say, overkill is underrated.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

more mount progress, I'm getting quite a bit better at running the TIG, but still not great...

The portion that isn't welded in the following picture is going to be cut back, and a re enforcing strap welded on perpendicular to the flat stock to help with lateral support.

There's another bolt hole on the bellhousing below the starter, I'm contemplating whether or not to use it, if I don't, i'll trim the bottom of the bracket.

I think I can have this one done tomorrow, hopefully I'll have it and the other trans mount at a minimum done by the end of the weekend.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

nice weld, pipe welding is tough because, unless you have a rotisserie, you have to constantly start/stop

Comment

..... unless you have a rotisserie....

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand now i want costco rotisserie chickens. thanks, superbuick.

Comment

Working...
                                X