X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

Thanks Dan. Starting to ponder it might look good in a slightly darker metallic gray.
    Yeah. I really like that with the pearl in it.
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; June 1, 2020, 07:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Looks pretty good!

Dan
    Thanks Dan. Starting to ponder it might look good in a slightly darker metallic gray.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Looks pretty good!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Cleanup day. Pulled the coupe into the driveway and mixed up a bucket of suds. Sprayed it off with the air hose everywhere first, and then washed it down and scrubbed with bristle brush. Lots of overspray on the newly painted frame rails, so scuffed them and shot another coat of gloss black engine enamel.
    After that I remembered I forgot to install the lap belts I got, so removed the bolts on the seats and installed the belts. Cleaned up inside and out, and touched up black paint wherever. The engine survived the build without much dirt, so a quick dusting, and hose down got it looking good again.
    Decided I'm just going to leave it in primer for the summer unless I find somebody who can paint it reasonably and then I'll have it done.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Darn it! I went into the shop last evening and the headliner material around the top of the back window was loose and hanging in the air! I glued it all around with 3M headliner glue, but it didn't hold. It's the only area without a tack strip, and I suspect it should have one, but no idea.
    It has a tack strip along the top of the windshield opening, and I stapled and glued it there, and that held great. Asked about on the rear, but didn't get any response.
    So today I came up with my own fix. I sat down in the back with a 1/8" drill bit, and a bunch of 1/8" pop rivets, and set off to drill and rivet the headliner to the metal structure around the frame. Put a rivet every few inches and twice as close in the corners.
    This seems to be holding great, and once the weatherstrip is in place it will be even better! I would have simply made a tack strip, but no idea where it would mount and not interfere with the weatherstrip? No signs of where one could have been, but shop manual says the headliner gets "glued and tacked around the window", so must have had something?
    Clean up day tomorrow again! Even with not bodywork, it seems to be covered in dust. Rolling it outside tomorrow, and doing a deep cleaning, which means I'll get wet as I plan to scrub the engine bay, frame rails, and everything I can reach! It all looks like 10 years of accumulated dust!

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    "escutcheons" do those come with a red sauce dip?

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    My covered panels, except for divider that I can't do until my last two speakers arrive.
    Inside quarters:

Door panels:

Got them both installed today.

Will need to pull the handles when I get escutcheons for the handles later.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Got out early yesterday since we're having crazy heatwave for May now. Hit low 90's yesterday, and by around 1:30 it had hit 90 so I quit. But before that I got all my door panels, and side panels covered in the new diamond pattern black vinyl! It came out great, but I was tired and soaking wet, so just locked up and went inside for a cool shower! Try to get some pictures taken and post later.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Good that you'll get your surgery even if their timing sucks. Fingers crossed for you.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    I found a shop about a half mile from my place who will do the last of my glass work. First opening on June 12th, so I set it up. Then 2 hrs. later I get a call from the surgeon's office to tell me they've got a date for my hernia repair surgery on.......June 12th!
    So have to call and see if the shop's 2nd date of June 18th is still available, and schedule it that day.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    OK, so back to a few updates since the site went bonkers on us.

First I've got all those interior panels cut and fitted. And today I began covering them.....well just the kick panels. Did them in smooth black as I didn't want the diamond pattern down by my feet.

I also got my headliner yesterday, so laid it out in the sun to relax the wrinkles, and installed it today too! No shortage of extra material, which is always nice when you don't have to worry about a close fit!

Got it stretched pretty tight, and will steam the last wrinkles from the folds in shipping, and it's good to go.

Panels for the rear sides, and divider.

Laid them out also, and rough cut them to size. Ready to glue on the material, and they can go on the car.

I may order some more of this from the same place and see if the upholsterer will do inserts in my bucket seats from the same pattern to better tie them into the interior. These seats need a good cleaning to make them look better.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Having issues with the site today? It wont open up the last page. Hope this post fixes it, and brings things back to normal again.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    We had a place here in town called Fabric Depot that I bought materials from for decades. But about a year ago they closed their doors. I went out for their closing business sale, but it was taking 2-3 hrs. to get through the checkout lines, so I gave up and left.
    At their usual great prices I could get naugahyde in 54" widths for around $8 a yd., and occasionally on sales for around $5 a yd. At the sale it was down to around $3 a yd. and I was going to buy what was left on a roll. Likely around 8-9 yds. left, so not much money. But I despise lines, and crowds, so had to give up.
    I gave $17 a yd. for the diamond pattern, and got enough to cover everything. Still a cheap way to do the interior. My seats are in great shape, but wont match the side panels. Have a local upholstery shop just 8 blocks away, and they do good work reasonably. So later I may have them recover the seats to match the rest if I decide to match it up. They charged me $370 to recover two buckets for my Falcon.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    John - you do know about Michigan Textiles (I think I have that name right) on Michigan Ave in Ypsi, no? Great resource. I'm assuming they're still there - as recently as 5 years ago ME and I stopped in and bought some stuff when we were in town. They get leftover fabric and foam from the car factories, Lazy Boy, etc.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    the price of upholstery has gotten insane! Just the price of good foam is painful. One of the Model A guys had a cool idea - he had a "pleather" couch he was going to replace, so he took as much material off it as he could - and ended up with enough of that - and enough foam - to make his door panels, side panels, and some other flat panels for the rear of the car. He then used the same material to make "seat covers" for the junkyard seat he'd found for the front - so the whole thing matched. Turned out really good for not much money at all.
    This car is really coming together, Looks great!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X