No announcement yet.

1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got out there this morning and put my portable heater inside the car as Lash suggested. Then ran to Home Depot for tack cloth and a bunny suit with a hood to keep the paint off me. When I got home I did a dry wipe down, and then a second. Then did a few wipe downs with the tack cloths, and mixed up some primer.
    I got my big 40 gal. air compressor out of storage, and set it up outside the shop. Then ran the hose inside and hooked up my old spray gun. I did a test spray and the darn gun wouldn't work properly. Fortunately I had a second brand new gun in the sidelines, so I grabbed it quickly and assembled it. Poured the primer in and went to work spraying. Of course I shut the heater off first and took it out of the car.
    It laid down really well, and I did as a friend suggested in a phone call, and added some "fast" reducer to make it dry quicker with low temps. I painted it in 4 sections starting with the roof, then the trunk area, and finally each side. I had an issues with the seal on the lid of my gravity feed gun, and it dripped occasionally which created some runs where it landed on wet primer. And of course I had some other runs from getting the coats too heavy. But all in all it went great, and it's done.
    I now recall how much I dislike the smell of automotive paint too! Even with a good respirator on it just doesn't really stop all the smell. At least the respirator kept me from getting a headache from the fumes!

Comment

• Looks pretty darned good.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
        Looks pretty darned good.
        Thanks! Not quite as nice up close as I got a few runs from the heavy application I did. Plus I put in some "fast" reducer to speed drying in cold temps, and that made it thinner too.

Comment

• That will buff out.....hahaha.......
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Picked up my driveline today and installed it in the '39. Then I filled the differential with friction modifier and grease. Got my taillight housings stripped and shot with etching primer, and then mounted both with new body gaskets I made from old inner tube. That's when I realized I have two driver's side housings! Crap. So the one on the passenger side would have an upside down lens if I leave it. Most wont see that, but I'll know it's there, so need to locate another.
            Put my tires and wheels back on today so I can push the car out to get the frontend set on it. I'll get my nephew to assist since he's coming over in the near future to pick up my old Suzuki quad for his son. I never use it, and he has a 10 acre farm. His 8 year old wants to drive his Polaris 750 all the time, and it's way too much. My little 230 will be better, so I'll give it to my great nephew to play on.

Comment

• I also measured the stance today, and found the body is 1" higher in front vs. rear. So it looks like I hit my goal of trying to get it pretty level. It's 14" to the bottom of the frame rails.

Comment

• is this someone you know?
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Nope. But looking at the background in his drive I know the area he lives in! Looks like NE Portland off Airport Way maybe between 122 and 148th. Could pin it down closer if I could identify some of those business names.

Comment

• Updated picture of the engine with the Edelbrock intake and 700 cfm Demon carb.

Got my exhaust hi temp wrap yesterday and wrapped the tail pipes where they parallel the fuel cell. Probably didn't need it at about 1.5" away, but cheap insurance.

Comment

• Been dealing with a paralyzed little dog for the last week, so no work on the car. But made up a list of -6AN parts to plumb the carb and ordered parts today. Wow! That stuff isn't exactly cheap! I went all black fittings and hose, and bought a kit to start with, plus a Y fitting to bring the two feed lines together. Then had to order a pair of -6AN inlet fittings for the bowls. It adds up way too fast. But the cheap Chinese stuff was mostly incomplete, and would still need to buy more pieces. Plus it's all chrome, red and blue. Just too colorful for an old school look.

Comment

• I would have guessed that you'd get grief for black since that isn't period correct.... not that anyone cares, just given the allergic reaction to anything not-traditional.....
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I did Mary's coupe with black fittings too. Looks less like a race car IMHO.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            I would have guessed that you'd get grief for black since that isn't period correct.... not that anyone cares, just given the allergic reaction to anything not-traditional.....
                            Yeah, any AN fittings aren't "period correct". But I figured black would be less objectionable than red, blue, or chrome. But my cars always seem to detour a little from period correct anyway. I've got thick skin, so I can handle the comments.

Comment

• I got some time today finally to work on the '39. I had the driveline fitted up with new U joints, and the Ford flange. Not sure how, but I goofed up my measurement, and it was a little too short. Might have worked, but the yoke only went into the trans about 2" and it felt a little sloppy. So I ordered a longer 7" yoke and took it back to the driveline shop. He called today and said it was ready. Went to pick it up, and he had swapped out the new U joint for another new U joint, and installed the new yoke. I asked the price and he said, "No charge."

Unbelievable! My mistake, but he does all the work, and a new U joint for free. And he tried to give me back the shorter yoke too. I asked if they could use the yoke, and he said they could. So I told him to keep it.
                              Got home and installed the driveline. Then pulled both door window tracks out, and dug the old seal material and broken glass out of the tracks. Surprisingly the 4 screws holding each door track came right out without any trouble. I had shot them with WD40 a couple months ago, so maybe it helped loosen them up? Or maybe I'm just getting lucky

Comment

• Lucky is good!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X