X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post

Resell... explain? I buy stuff, it stays forever. How does this work?

Can't be that tough... yes it can. LOL!!!

Nothing makes sense to me right now. I think they are quoting in pesos, like how I get paid! I'd say go for it, worst thing that is going to happen is you learn something. You might even like it.
    I've always bought tools to do my own work, and keep them forever. But I'm closing in on 70 yrs. old in a few months, so why keep a sewing machine longer than I need to? Not like I'm going to be using it for decades to come, and not like I plan to take up sewing as a hobby or side income. I've got plenty to keep me busy, so I wont take up space keeping a sewing machine I wont use. Makes much more sense to buy a used machine, fix the seats, and then sell it to get some or all of my investment back.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    A note on commercial sewing machines (I looked into this 30+ years ago). My horse trainer friend has a Juki that he uses for tack repairs and such. He bought it cheap and used and now we know why - it does not have a walking foot. The walking foot feature pulls the work thru the needle at the correct rate so the stitches are properly spaced. BTW - your Mom's Singer was not a walking foot machine. The ones w/o walking foot will work but they are much harder to use with nice results. So the question is, as a rookie do you want a machine that makes the job easier? I toyed with buying a machine but never did but if I did it would have a walking foot.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
    .... I might have to go buy a good used commercial sewing machine, and then resell it once I finish the sewing. Can't be that tough to just cut out two inserts, trace them, and sew in new black naugahyde diamond pattern inserts? They're just a plain rectangle.
    Resell... explain? I buy stuff, it stays forever. How does this work?

Can't be that tough... yes it can. LOL!!!

Nothing makes sense to me right now. I think they are quoting in pesos, like how I get paid! I'd say go for it, worst thing that is going to happen is you learn something. You might even like it.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    My coupe is running well, and doing great on the road. But at idle it's pretty rich smelling, and nothing I do to adjust idle air mixture changes it. So looks like I'll need to pull the carb off and swap out power valves to get down from the stock 6.5's to a 3.5 set. My vacuum at idle is right at 10", but at 1500 rpm's or higher it's twice that. So I think the low idle vacuum is messing up the power valves.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Just got a case of sticker shock while talking to the upholstery shop person. I had purchased extra diamond pattern material so I could have them do the center inserts on seat bases and backs. I asked when they might be able to sew them in the seats, and was told maybe 3 weeks. Then she asked me to hold.
    When she came back she said she talked to the upholsterer and he said $450-$500 to sew two inserts that are probably 16" wide x 24" long, with my material. Now I know the work is stripping the seats, and the reinstalling the covers, but seems a little crazy compared to the $370 I paid to have both of my Mustang buckets completely covered for the Falcon.
    Told them I'd have to do some pondering before I committed to paying that price. I might have to go buy a good used commercial sewing machine, and then resell it once I finish the sewing. Can't be that tough to just cut out two inserts, trace them, and sew in new black naugahyde diamond pattern inserts? They're just a plain rectangle.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Doesn't anyone proofread?

Dan
    he still has a bit of satan in him?

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
    Obviously the drinling from the rubber hose did have some efffect.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Dan

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    My v 1.0 got pawned off on two subsequent owners, who also found it it was broken beyond repair! My son tells me it gives him fits occasionally too, and he doesn't even own it!
    yep, they're clearly related. Mine had an affection for her managers, heard she went through several of them - thankfully, her child was her own so not my issue.*

*I don't usually explain jokes but in the world of trust and estates, children are referred to as issues. (what issued from the parents)... why it's no longer used, I dunno, seems pretty accurate to me.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 18, 2020, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    My v 1.0 got pawned off on two subsequent owners, who also found it it was broken beyond repair! My son tells me it gives him fits occasionally too, and he doesn't even own it!
    Last edited by 1946Austin; July 17, 2020, 04:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post

you would think, by now, there would have been a class action suit against defective v 1.0 ...
    they have no class

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Worked on more casualties of the oil gauge line mess this morning. When I was under the car cleaning I noticed the parts I'd painted with Duplicolor Chrome paint were sticky to the touch! And if I held my hand to those parts it came off on my hands!
    I thought I'd give it a chance to dry, or harden again, but it never did. I had painted my drag link, tierod, and shocks using this paint, so they had to come off to strip it. I tried various solvents, but all they did was make a mess and not totally remove it. So I finally just used the wire wheel on my grinder and it stripped the paint off quickly.
    After stripping the parts I wiped them down and dried them. Then checked to be sure they weren't sticky. Shot them with primer sealer, and then a coat of VHT mag wheel paint. I had that on the axle, and it didn't react to the oil at all, so I knew it was good.
    Got the parts shot, and finished wiping down under the car. Reinstalled the freshly painted parts, and Loctited everything too. Looks less bright, but I like the metallic graphite color.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied

Hey it sounds like we both had a v 1.0 made in the same factory!
    you would think, by now, there would have been a class action suit against defective v 1.0 ...

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

v1.0 couldn't stay off of other people
    Hey it sounds like we both had a v 1.0 made in the same factory!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X