X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
    I'm on v 2.0, but been on this updated version for 41 years, and it works for me. v 1.0 was full of bugs, and impossible to reboot.
    v1.0 couldn't stay off of other people

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    I'm on v 2.0, but been on this updated version for 41 years, and it works for me. v 1.0 was full of bugs, and impossible to reboot.
    Last edited by 1946Austin; July 16, 2020, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

there, fixed it for you.

people are touchy these days, and even more so in Portland.
    He's not in Portland. He's in the Coast Range West of Eugene. 45 minutes West.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    I see where you already fixed this glass issue with logic, but that's kind of the thing, it's like milling metal. You take off .010 a pass and make a lot of passes. Set up a fence and use a micrometer to move the fence, run it though again, if that makes any sense?

/edit, because SBG, I'm on v3 of quarrelsome wife, ironic, v3 of retirement. I'm constantly learning which corner is mine. It's the garage, and there are attempted quarrels about why the family car is not allowed to park there. This was a pre-requisite understanding! If the garage is clean enough to park 2 cars in it, it's time to move.
    I'm still on v 2.0 - but she's the one who encouraged the shop, so there isn't need to beta test a newer version. that said, I may have used that verse a few times with her.... maybe I should label shop "the roof corner"

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    I see where you already fixed this glass issue with logic, but that's kind of the thing, it's like milling metal. You take off .010 a pass and make a lot of passes. Set up a fence and use a micrometer to move the fence, run it though again, if that makes any sense?

/edit, because SBG, I'm on v3 of quarrelsome wife, ironic, v3 of retirement. I'm constantly learning which corner is mine. It's the garage, and there are attempted quarrels about why the family car is not allowed to park there. This was a pre-requisite understanding! If the garage is clean enough to park 2 cars in it, it's time to move.
    Last edited by Beagle; July 16, 2020, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    and to clarify....
    Proverbs 25:21-22

21 If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat;
    if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.
    22 In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head,
    and the Lord will reward you.

my other favorite Proverbs 25s (because Beagle)

23 Like a north wind that brings unexpected rain
    is a sly tongue—which provokes a horrified look.

24 Better to live on a corner of the roof
    than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

Lots of videos there, but most relate to smoothing up the edges, or rounding small corners. Only one dealt with cutting off 1/8" and the machine he used wouldn't be feasible unless I was doing a lot of glass work.

I'm sure I'm not the only one whose had bad experience with this guy. I should have searched reviews prior to dealing with him, as a search yesterday showed 7 reviews, and only one was great. The other 6 were all very negative, and sounded very familiar.
    I had trouble with the rubber molding on my FJ40, it was wayyyy too soft - so the window would fall back out, even with the lock in place. Never even thought about it until you related the window-guy issue. My window guy - I took the frame, the rubber, and the window to him to install. A few hours later he called me and basically cried uncle. I told him it was fine and that he made me feel like less of an idiot because I had the same problem. The thing he did do was provide rubber channel that worked... I dunno, in this day and age, my life is a constant prayer not to give back what they deserve... and best of all, just send him a thank you card for getting you the glass... not because you're particularly fond of him but because being a nice guy to a jerk can really bug the hell out of them (sometimes).

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I think you just described somebody with "Borderline" disorder... Bi Portland on steroids. Sorry to hear that.
    there, fixed it for you.

people are touchy these days, and even more so in Portland.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    I think you just described somebody with "Borderline" disorder... Bi Polar on steroids. Sorry to hear that.

I did a quick youtube search for grinding glass - clicking the link below will give you the results. Some interesting items showed up.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...523D92A041CE3B
    Lots of videos there, but most relate to smoothing up the edges, or rounding small corners. Only one dealt with cutting off 1/8" and the machine he used wouldn't be feasible unless I was doing a lot of glass work.

I'm sure I'm not the only one whose had bad experience with this guy. I should have searched reviews prior to dealing with him, as a search yesterday showed 7 reviews, and only one was great. The other 6 were all very negative, and sounded very familiar.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    I think you just described somebody with "Borderline" disorder... Bi Polar on steroids. Sorry to hear that.

I worked with stained glass for a while. We would fit and shape glass pieces with a wet diamond grit grinder. Tempered glass is a different animal - I've never tried it, but even OEM glass you can see on some older stuff where the edges were sanded smooth. Water hose drip and a belt sander may work fine - I'd practice on something disposable and use as much finesse as I could muster, very light touch. Every time I've messed with tempered glass it exploded, but that was trying to cut it which was just stupid on my part.

detail that just came to mind. We would trace whatever shape the glass needed to be trimmed to onto the glass with a sharpie. The water from the grinder doesn't wash it off. Grind to the mark. The general idea was cut it close but leave some room for sneaking up on a good fit. If you got aggressive with the glass, particularly thin sections, it would break. Patience was the order of the day...

I did a quick youtube search for grinding glass - clicking the link below will give you the results. Some interesting items showed up.

Last edited by Beagle; July 16, 2020, 06:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    I've cut bottles and made cups out of them.. Had a soft rubber drum that took rolls of grit. (sandpaper in a roll much like an empty toilet paper roll) hardness of the roll was how much you tightened the ends Too tight, the rolls exploded, usually ruining the cup..too loose it will slip or make waves.. Lots of fine dangerous grit.. It does take quite a bit of sanding to get the glass rounded so not to cut you as you drink.. As for the cutter, if the template was paper as the steel burn table was, tracking on the inside of the drawn line will make it smaller.. A bump on the table would jump the eye over the drawn line and the steel would be wrong. But if the templates were wood or something then you would be stuck with those measurements unless you made the template smaller..pretty poor customer service.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    So here's how my afternoon ended. I was asked by the guy who supplied the glass to call him when I got it installed, and let him know how it went, and if there were any issues. I've spoken with him often, and he's always been extremely nice, and very interested in wanting to provide a great product. He told me several times to let him know if there's any way he can help, even if it's just answering questions, or getting feedback. So I figured I'd give him a call to let him know how this went down.
    Told him the glass was still too large, and what I did to fix it. He said he "has no control over the size, as it's CNC cut from templates that have been used for years."
    I asked why (when I mentioned it was too large before) he told me he'd send them a note with the order "to make it slightly smaller length and width." I had told him it could be 1/4" narrower, and 1/8" shorter.
    He told me he never said that, and said all he could do was ask them to try and find a smaller piece, if they could. Well I was puzzled, but not the end of the world. I then asked him out of curiosity if the glass could be sanded or polished on the edges to reduce the size? He told me it didn't need to be, as it was surrounded with rubber. I tried to explain I just meant, could it be sanded or polished to reduce the dimensions?
    At this point he began screaming at me, telling me there's no way he can special order glass, as it's made in Taiwan, and he has no control over what they do! He went on yelling and telling me if I wanted special size glass it would take 18 months to get it, and I'd probably not want my car waiting that long to drive it. Then he said in 40 years of business he'd never had any glass that didn't fit. Never had anyone ever complain about his glass not fitting, and never had anyone ever break glass trying to put it in!
    I kept attempting to interrupt to remind him he'd asked me to call and give him feedback, and had even requested I talk to others to see if they'd had issues, so he might have the glass adjusted to be a better fit. But there was no stopping his ranting, until he was done. When he stopped I tried to explain I was merely calling to tell him how it went. But before I could finish my sentence he tells me he knows exactly why I called, and begins to rant again. I finally just hung up my cell phone and gave up.
    About 30 seconds later my home phone rings, and it's him again. He starts up once more ranting about how long his hours and days are, and how he has so much going on, and doesn't need people he's trying to help giving him crap. Then suddenly he gets soft spoken, and says, I sincerely mean this. If you have any glass questions, or need any help with glass, call me and I'll try to answer whatever you need. ???????????
    At that point I was once again as shocked as I was with his explosive rant. I was speechless, and wasn't sure what to say. So I simply hung up again without responding. It was the weirdest experience I've ever had with a company supplying car parts. I felt extremely uncomfortable for hours after the calls.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Took quite a long time, but finally got my replacement windshield half for my '39 Chev coupe. I guess the virus has caused a huge number of people to work on their cars, so the glass guys are swamped.
    I asked for the glass to be undersized, since the last one was so tight it barely went in, which caused a stress crack later. Unfortunately all they did was make the width 1/8" shorter, but didn't adjust top to bottom width. So once I overlaid the new glass on the old, I decided I needed to modify something, or figure out how to shrink the glass.
    Since sanding or grinding the glass without some sort of water cooled sander would likely have fatal results, I decided to modify the weatherstrip seal. I carefully pulled the lip back a couple inches at a time, and using my belt sander with a new 80 grit belt, I worked my way around the perimeter until I;d "shaved" the outside down a bit over 1/16" all over to reduce the total 1/8".
    After that I did the same soapy water spray on the weatherstrip, and with my pull line I pushed and worked the lip over the metal. Unlike the last time, the glass went in tightly, but I didn't need to pull it in the last bit with the garnish molding.
    I used my glass suction cups attached to the two halves to bump the halves left and right to ensure I got a decent gap between the glass, and away from the center strip retaining screws.

It took a couple hours, but a lot of that was setup, and cleanup afterwards. Way better than the 4.5 hrs. it took the last go around!

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Having spent time on the Salt I have all kinds of horror stories that the guys tell. The way you get to keep bringing a car back is to totally disassemble and clean it after each meet, and to do it as soon as you get home. Salt can even get inside U-joints!

Dan
    Yeah, it's not like driving on the beach and getting a little salt air! And going the speeds those cars can go, there's all sorts of pressure pushing salt into places we'd never imagine it could go.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    [QUOTE=1946Austin;n1274502 But he said the salt is literally eating the car away! In just 6 years of running it there, the fenders, brackets, frame, and most metal parts are falling apart. Even with a pressure washing each time he gets home, it still eats everything up![/QUOTE]

Having spent time on the Salt I have all kinds of horror stories that the guys tell. The way you get to keep bringing a car back is to totally disassemble and clean it after each meet, and to do it as soon as you get home. Salt can even get inside U-joints!

Dan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X