Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teddyzee
    replied
    Wow, that was inspiring once again. You have me thinking about making my own door panels now.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Yeah, I knew you were Dan. Made use of it again today to cut holes in my trunk divider panel for a pair of speakers. Years ago my daughter wanted some new fangled MP3 player, stereo system, and she gave me the one in her car after they put the whiz bang one in.
    It's a nice JVC radio and CD player, which is all I really want. So I cut out the dash insert to accept the new stereo, and mounted it in. I bought a pair of 5" speakers way back then also, as I planned to put it all in my Falcon. But the Falcon was so loud I figured I'd never hear it, so it all got set aside then. So it will go into this project and be all I need for the car.
    I need to figure out how my materials measure up for the black carpet and diamond black vinyl, so I know if the trunk divider gets black carpet on it, or the diamond pattern vinyl. I think I've got enough vinyl, but hard to say for sure until I lay it out. Sometimes trying to get things aligned ends up using more material than I thought.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

Jigsaw is the easiest tool for cutting this panel board. I could cut the door pieces with a skilsaw with no issue. It's the kick panels and 1/4 panels that have all the weird shapes that a jigsaw makes quick work of.
    I was just teasing you. The jig saw is, for sure, the right tool.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Jigsaw!! Man, you're fussy - or maybe the chainsaw is in the shop?

Dan
    Jigsaw is the easiest tool for cutting this panel board. I could cut the door pieces with a skilsaw with no issue. It's the kick panels and 1/4 panels that have all the weird shapes that a jigsaw makes quick work of.
    Last edited by 1946Austin; May 19, 2020, 06:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Jigsaw!! Man, you're fussy - or maybe the chainsaw is in the shop?

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Something must have relaxed with our state rules as no line outside Home Depot today when I got there. Walked right in and bought two sheets of panel board to make my interior panels out of.
    I made paper patterns for the doors, 1/4 panels, and kick panels, and traced them on the panel board. Then cut them out with a jigsaw and drilled holes for door cranks.
    Pretty quick job, and no fitment issues. I'll eventually cover them in the diamond pattern once I get the carpets in. I need to make some sort of a filler panel before I do carpet to fill in two small drops between front seats and rear floor panel. It will cover this area where the floor drops down on both sides of the driveling tunnel:

Just about 18"-20" long each, and maybe 5"-6" wide. But if I fill it the carpet will be much easier to install. So need to decide what to use, and how to install it. Doesn't need a lot of strength as nobody will be standing on it. Maybe just a piece of sheet metal all the way across, and attached to the wood covered platform, and the floor?

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    I'd guess that moisture in a compressor tank has something to do with how moist the air is it's drawing in? And of course how hot the air gets during run times. I'd guess if it starts off cold and runs a lot all day it could create more moisture, but just guessing.
    My big machine shop customers all had a lot of moisture issues in their tanks, but also in their lines too! They had all sorts of big air dryers, and filters at the compressors, but because of the hundreds of feet of lines with high and low changes, they'd still get moisture out at their equipment. Every drop of any length had a blow down valve at the low point, and I saw machinists open them often if they were going to be doing something with air and wanted it to be drier.
    Their automatic air driers and automatic blowdowns were all near the compressor, and didn't seem to do much with all the line length after them.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Dan - is it possible to have too dry of a tank? puddled water draws moisture out of cool air, or does the hot air from the compressor keep the vapor in the charge air?
    I've never heard of that being an issue and from my one semester of Auto Body it was never mentioned - though I don't think the instructor was top-notch. My problem has always been keeping the air clean and dry but maybe you can go too far on the "dry".

Dan

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Sorry, I didn't see a question, thus I didn't answer. I don't have a Harbor Freight compressor, and paid good money for an IR just to get something I hoped would last a long time. I don't have an air dryer, but I do have a moisture separator, and an inline filter at the gun. I don't run the filter for most off my air uses since it's not an issue for other things, but the separator is always there.
    I usually blow down my tank from the drain valve before using it also, but I never get any moisture out of it for whatever reason?
    I'll take this down to metal, and redo it, and see what happens with the next coat of primer.
    it's the weirdest thing, I'm sure there's some physics explanation for why you don't get moisture every time - but I've had the same issue. I can go months without water or oil coming out, and then my dryer turns red (moisture) and the 2 separators both have moisture in them... I put a IR 3 stage pump on my tank - love that it's able to stay ahead of my air tools, but there is still a drop of oil and water occasionally that comes out of the tank.

Dan - is it possible to have too dry of a tank? puddled water draws moisture out of cool air, or does the hot air from the compressor keep the vapor in the charge air?

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Weather has turned to crap this week, with rain forecast every day! So I'll turn my efforts to building the interior door and side panels to be covered with the diamond pattern vinyl later. Hopefully I can get into Home Depot sometime! Three tries in the last week all had long lines waiting outside when I drove by, so I left and came home. Not worth standing there waiting at this point.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Got my side windows all installed today! Actually went super easy for a change, and they fit perfectly.

My buddy who sells accessories stopped by and dropped off my side mirrors, so had to test fit them too. Right side is the convex type so I can see that side better.
    Did some sanding of runs, and filled a few more little imperfections I'm still finding. Got those areas with the reaction in the primer sanded down to metal. Shot some rattle can self etching primer over them, and will wait to see if they react to that or not before shooting real primer.
    Got my license plate light and bracket reconnected so I can be legal to drive it out to have the windshield installed.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Sorry, I didn't see a question, thus I didn't answer. I don't have a Harbor Freight compressor, and paid good money for an IR just to get something I hoped would last a long time. I don't have an air dryer, but I do have a moisture separator, and an inline filter at the gun. I don't run the filter for most off my air uses since it's not an issue for other things, but the separator is always there.
    I usually blow down my tank from the drain valve before using it also, but I never get any moisture out of it for whatever reason?
    I'll take this down to metal, and redo it, and see what happens with the next coat of primer.
    Best of luck! I HATE it when those show up. I use PPG DP- series primer (pick your color) thinned with lacquer thinner as a seal coat and have had great luck with that.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Thanks. I sure hope it's not the compressor! This is basically a brand new air compressor. Used maybe 3 times as it sits most the time, and I use my little 7 gal. portable 99.9% of the time. I only pull it out of the corner when I need to shoot paint, and want lots of volume.
    um, you're not answering our question. Do you have a oil separator, water separator (two canisters), and best an air dryer on your air line?
    All compressors drop some oil into the tank - it's a good thing otherwise they'd rust to pieces pretty quickly. you need clean, dry air to paint. It's not an option. That said, the HF ones work just fine - there's a lot better out there, but the basic is fine too.

when I paint. I have a basic drier on the outlet from the tank, a 3 canister oil, water, air drier, then a disposable drier on the end of the gun along with a pressure regulator.
    the driers I have auto-drain - basically every time the compressor surges, it pops a little valve at the bottom of the canister - it works, and I check them often (as I've found moisture in the 1st (oil) canister even with the auto valve.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 15, 2020, 08:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Are you running a filter on that compressor? Something I always use when painting. I even run a small filter at the gun - cheap insurance. I agree with Aaron - looks like a bit of crap from the hose.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; May 15, 2020, 07:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X