No announcement yet.

1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so your just a kid! 75.5 here.......

Comment

• Thanks Dan! Now I feel even younger!

Comment

• This is what happens when you're bored, and nothing going on with cars. I have been contemplating doing a matching red pinstripe down the stamped in trim line on my '39. I've seen a number of late 30's Chevys with one line, or even two thin pinstripes. So I got out the brush and masking tape, and set up a bottom edge tape line to stripe to and freehanded this red line inside the body line on each side.

Comment

• It is little things like this that can set a car off

Comment

• I drove the '39 100 miles to the car show at Maryhill Museum in Washington. My buddy took his gorgeous '61 Fuelie Corvette, and while we were there they told car show entrants that they could drive their show cars up the closed Maryhill Hill Climb course at noon. The Hill Climbs are going to be tomorrow, and the road is closed to all vehicles all the time, except this one weekend a year.
            My buddy was going to run his Vette up, so I said why not take the old '39 Gasser up a winding 2 mile steep course? Good way to see how well it really handles, and I can answer all those naysayers who keep telling me gassers wont turn tight corners.
            So at noon I jumped in the '39 and made the 4 mile drive down the highway to where the course starts. It's two miles long, and gains 1000 ft. of winding roads in those two miles. Sports cars and Mini Coopers do it in about 2.5 minutes. Hot road racers can do it in about 2 minutes flat. I set up my cell phone timer, and cracked open the headers. Hit start, and hammered it up the starting straight. I quickly backed off when the first turn was maybe a 10-15 mph turn, but still made it through without tires squealing. After that I slowed pretty good for corners, and only got tire spin exiting corners. Some of the dropoffs are 600 ft. down if you happen to screw up, so I was pretty cautious!
            My time when I hit the end of the course was under 3 minutes, which felt pretty good for a straight line car. The people in their sports cars standing at the top watching were chuckling when I stepped out of the car, but mostly because they said they couldn't believe somebody was driving an old drag car up the course. This was really a hoot, and I thoroughly enjoyed this once in a lifetime run on the course!
            Here's an inside a car look at the course. The Mini made a 2.5 min. run. Of course he got to use the whole road. We were told to stay on our side as cars could be coming down as we ran up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svvk...nnel=MiniMania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an4wUsUqL2Q&ab_channel=NikitaKozlov
            Last edited by 1946Austin; October 1, 2022, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• you were half way to my house.... wish I knew about the hill climb - I may have broken out the C3.. but it looks like a blast - that said, that was part of my sales territory when I worked for Coca Cola.... wonder what my time would have been in my Coca Cola Astro van....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                you were half way to my house.... wish I knew about the hill climb - I may have broken out the C3.. but it looks like a blast - that said, that was part of my sales territory when I worked for Coca Cola.... wonder what my time would have been in my Coca Cola Astro van....
                When I got to the top landing area the majority of the cars up there were not from the car show. In fact I'd guess less than 4 or 5 cars left the car show to go run the course. I'm guessing also that those in their modern sports cars at the top just knew the hill climb road would be open on Sat. and went there to take their cars up.
                A lot of spectators I spoke with at the show had come from far away to watch today's races up the hill climb, and were walking the car show Sat. just for something to do the day before. Most told me they were staying across the river in motels around Biggs junction, or other areas.
                Your Corvette would do well running this I'm sure, and you'd have really enjoyed it. Lot of guys on Sat. were doing slower runs up the hill just to learn the course before today's race.

Comment

• We've gone from a gorgeous late summer/fall with numerous mid to high 80's, to yesterday being a high of only 52 degrees. Typical of our seasonal changes, but sad. With the forecast for the week coming up being drizzle and cold, I decided it was time to put the '39 up for the winter, so it went into the back shop for a nap.
                  I'm making a short list of little changes I want to do this winter, but nothing really big in the future.

Comment

• We have a few days thruout our "winter" where a special car can hit the highways so I never put mine "up" any more. Love living here!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      We have a few days thruout our "winter" where a special car can hit the highways so I never put mine "up" any more. Love living here!
                      With the access behind my property being tight, I don't like to go in and out much. So once I move the '39 to the back shop it stays there for the winter. I still have the Austin in our attached garage, so on the rare occasion it might be nice, I can take it for a drive.

Comment

• Two Things ....
                        A Smart "Yooper" Puts His Nice Weather Rides Away for the Winter. We call this the Winter Lay Up. ( The "Ore Boats" even do this Every Season)

And here in the Frozen Tundra.....
                        They are hauling Train Loads of Salt to spread on the roads all winter......non the less . . Calisum Cloride.....on the Bridges...

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                          Two Things ....
                          A Smart "Yooper" Puts His Nice Weather Rides Away for the Winter. We call this the Winter Lay Up. ( The "Ore Boats" even do this Every Season)

And here in the Frozen Tundra.....
                          They are hauling Train Loads of Salt to spread on the roads all winter......non the less . . Calisum Cloride.....on the Bridges...
                          I always wondered why they didn't call it "the big stuck" for the ore boats.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

With the access behind my property being tight, I don't like to go in and out much. So once I move the '39 to the back shop it stays there for the winter. I still have the Austin in our attached garage, so on the rare occasion it might be nice, I can take it for a drive.
                            ya know, I may have moved to a colder locale, however, some mouth breather was mowing his yard today....

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I always wondered why they didn't call it "the big stuck" for the ore boats.
                              "Freeze Up" is another Term used to say Winter Has Set In.
                              As in "The Spring Break Up" is for when the Rivers Opened up,
                              Which was Important to the Lumber Industry to get logs to the Saw Mills.

"Open Ice" is NOT to be confused with "Open Water"
                              "Open Ice" is that there is No Snow Cover, and the Ice can Very Thick without the insulating cover of snow.
                              "Clear Ice" is when you get Very Cold Weather at the beginning of winter with no snow, and the Ice can be like Glass,
                              And you can see right thru into the lake. This can be deceiving as you can run into thin ice with the same clear appearance.

Dat Displaced Yooper,
                              Signing Out.
                              Charlie Alpha Peter Tango......clear

Comment

• I remember that stuff - but doing my best to forget!

Comment

Working...
                                X