X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    it's dang hard to properly lead a protester with loose suspension parts, glad to see you've got that fixed
    Yeah, I'd give them a 5' lead, and then the car wanders around and I hit them off a little and just wound them. Irritating.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    it's dang hard to properly lead a protester with loose suspension parts, glad to see you've got that fixed

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Took a look into installing the electric door locks on the '39 today, and just stuffed them back in the bag for now. Where they attach to the locking mechanism is nearly impossible to access, and if I pull it all out to add the clamp from the kit, I'm unsure how to determine where to clamp it to ensure I can still have the solenoid sitting where it needs to go. So I shelved it for now.

I decided I had enough miles to spend some time going over all the front suspension bolts. Most are grade 8 with locking nuts, so not much that can work loose, but I also had some grade 5 bolts that came with new parts, and wanted to change those out to grade 8.
    The Speedway disc brake kit had two 7/16NF locking nuts missing, and I forgot I never replaced those. When I saw they were still regular nuts I got grade 8 locknuts, and figured I'd replace them today. They hold the tierod brackets to the spindles, so pretty important!
    When I went to remove the nuts today they had backed off a good 1/8" from tight!! I was shocked to see this, and checked the other bolt that had a locking nut, and they were still tight. But I've had a little bit of "wandering" in my steering, and I bet this was the case. I replaced the nuts with the grade 8 locknuts, and put blue Loctite on all 4 nuts also, just for extra security!
    I also replaced all the 1/2NF U bolt nuts for the springs with grade 8 nuts, and Loctited them too. Never seen U bolts with grade 5 nuts before, and didn't like the looks of them for such a critical fastener.
    So with everything checked, tightened, Loctied, and changed; I took it for a short spin. The steering is noticeably crisper, and more precise, with no wandering going down the freeway. So I'm glad I took time to check everything after a few hundred miles!

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
    Actually that console was in a primered '38 Dodge pickup.. Unfinished class.
    Nice to see someone else uses the 'offset plate' method to re-center or re-create spring pins........
    Those blocks aren't offset plate type. They're straight through, so simply raise the stance and no offset forward or back. Same setup, but I didn't need any adjustment, so didn't do any offsetting.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Actually that console was in a primered '38 Dodge pickup.. Unfinished class.
    Nice to see someone else uses the 'offset plate' method to re-center or re-create spring pins........

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Wife finished up my sun visors, and I installed them this morning. They look great, and work nicely!
    Then I decided to tackle a job I've been putting off for awhile. The '39 rides pretty stiff, and I planned to remove some leafs up front. Always a guessing game as to how many, and how it will affect the stance. So I decided to go big, and took 3 of the 5 leafs out, but the shortest 3 leafs. That is a total of 3/4" off the stance, and with less spring rate I figured I'd lose another 3/4"-1" on top of that.
    So I set about to remove the 3 leafs, and build a spacer block to adjust for the loss. I had plenty of extra length on the U bolts, so I used heavy wall 2"x 2" box tubing, and cut it 5" long. I drilled a hole at center, and opened one side up to 3/8" and the other side up to 9/16" I bolted a stainless steel 3/8" allen bolt in the 3/8" hole to be the alignment pin. The other fits over the 3/8" pin on my springs. Before installing the spacers I cut 2"x 2" plates to weld over the ends of the box tubing to make it stronger, and make it look like a solid block.
    Bolted it all together, and lowered the car down on the ground. My before and after measurements were 1/2' difference, and that's 1/2" higher. So it appears my seat of the pants guess on the spacer was as close as I could guesstimate. Love when I get lucky!
    Took it for a ride, and even with only two long leafs, the ride is still firm, but not nearly as hard as it was before. Glad to get this mod done, and it actually was a lot easier, and quicker than I thought it would be!

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
    Saw this nice little console made from a shift boot, two valve covers, a little sheet metal and a huge socket as the cupholder........pretty neat.

The idea is good, but looks like it must be in a rat rod? I'm afraid even my low budget project needs something a little nicer. But I think a similar idea using old aluminum valve covers could work if I weld aluminum sheet between them and polish or brush the finish, and cut holes for cup holders! But I might have to rebuild my shifter if I do this as it's a short arm, and it might restrict movement if the boot was that high above the floor.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Saw this nice little console made from a shift boot, two valve covers, a little sheet metal and a huge socket as the cupholder........pretty neat.

Last edited by oletrux4evr; July 3, 2020, 03:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

I'm taking them to the protest tonight. But leaving the coupe at home.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

carefull, some butthurt idiot may take that as a racist remark nowdays....
    I'm taking them to the protest tonight. But leaving the coupe at home.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
    The picture makes them look lighter from the flash, but they're very black in reality.

carefull, some butthurt idiot may take that as a racist remark nowdays....

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    My wife decided she wanted to help out on the build, so she sewed up covers for the ratty sun visors. She still needs to do the final sewing to close off the end, but they fit well, and look good. The picture makes them look lighter from the flash, but they're very black in reality.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Darn good thing! Surely not one of the pups.

Dan
    you haven't, yet, met Stella. when you do, you'll understand. A "for instance".... she loves trailing.... LOVES trailing. so much so that if a subject was standing on the edge of a cliff, she'd push the subject off to get a longer trail....

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

it's not my wife
    Darn good thing! Surely not one of the pups.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I'm gonna tell your wife!

Dan
    it's not my wife

Leave a comment:

Working...
X