No announcement yet.

1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on track today after taking the day off on Sunday. I had one of those "duh" moments last night and realized I was overlooking an easy fix for lowering the rear of the coupe! Didn't really want lowering blocks, but I could make lowering blocks that were sort of part of the spring perches! So I dug out a old pair of cut up traction bars and used 4" long pieces off it to make lowering blocks.

I had an extra 1.5" on the U bolts and the rectangle stock is 1" so I drilled holes for the center pins on the springs and removed my perches to tack weld these pieces to the perches. Did one side at a time to make it easier, and keep things lined up where I had them. Did exactly as I hoped, and the car sits slightly lower in back than the front.

After that I got the rear main seal installed, and the new chrome pan. Then installed the pushrods and rockers, and semi adjusted them to keep them in place. Put the mechanical fuel pump on it and set the valve covers and intake on to keep the dirt out. Covered with a old towel, and set it in the corner for now.

These were the $25 painted valve covers I found at a swap meet. Stripped the paint and put them on my buffer to get them shined up a bit. Still need a final polish, but I like them. I'm going to have a local trophy shop make up a couple plates to fit into the rectangle where they once had "Mr Gasket" emblems. They were gone when I bought them, so have to think of something to put on the engraved plates?

Seam sealed the under side of the patch panels too, since it got into the low 60's and figured it would set up finally.

Comment

have to think of something to put on the engraved plates
      I vote for "Danger Mouse"

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post

I vote for "Danger Mouse"
        Might work. My Austin the "Mouse Trap" for the SBC trapped in a tiny British car. Contemplated "Mouse Trap II" for the '39, but may not put a name on it at all. I also still have the "Miller's Garage" templates I got for my '63 Falcon, as I got two sets to repeat it once the car was painted. But it never got to paint before I sold it.

Made a run to Pick N Pull today to look at pedal assemblies for a hanging pedal. I tried to pull an S10 and gave up. Too hard to get to all the bolts, which made me decide it wouldn't work well anyway. Then looked at a '65 Chevy truck, but way too big!
        Finally went back to a Subaru, since I used a Legacy pedal assembly and master on my Austin. I found a 1998 Impreza there, and 4 bolts and a pin off and it was out of there! These are one of the nicest hanging pedals around that's not custom made. Clean, simple, and has a brake switch built into it. Not too deep, so it works with older dashboards that aren't deep like my '39. And the best buy around at only $15!
        I'll mate it to a 2nd Gen Camaro disc/drum dual manual master, and make up a plate for the inside of the firewall to brace the pedal, and bolt the master to. Should be an easy installation on the '39, I hope!

Comment

how about Val's Garage, Gassers is our game
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            how about Val's Garage, Gassers is our game
            Might need a bigger car to get all that on one side! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

Might need a bigger car to get all that on one side! ;)
              words in a circle surround a solid front axle.... but I like you're thinking about needing another, longer project .... might I suggest a wagon?

Comment

These were the $25 painted valve covers I found at a swap meet. Stripped the paint and put them on my buffer to get them shined up a bit. Still need a final polish, but I like them. I'm going to have a local trophy shop make up a couple plates to fit into the rectangle where they once had "Mr Gasket" emblems. They were gone when I bought them, so have to think of something to put on the engraved plates?

Seam sealed the under side of the patch panels too, since it got into the low 60's and figured it would set up finally.
                I vote for "Packard". That ought to confuse folks!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

words in a circle surround a solid front axle.... but I like you're thinking about needing another, longer project .... might I suggest a wagon?
                  A wagon would help plant the rear tires on launch!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I vote for "Packard". That ought to confuse folks!

Dan

Gassers seem to confuse a lot of younger folks already. Probably best to not confuse the rest too.

Comment

Had to run to Home Depot this morning to get a couple new hasps for the shop side door. So picked up a gallon of gloss black Rust-oleum paint and painted up the floor.

It will make a good base for the sound deadener whenever I get to that point.

Comment

Figured I better get to DMV and change the title for the '39 to my name. Just something I've been dreading as a usual trip is 2 hrs. and I hate going there. Should have been easy as they have an information desk when you enter and a number dispenser to get your place in line. My number was 288 and they were on 220!!
                        Went to the information desk and she looked over my paperwork and told me what line to go to. 2.5 hrs. later I get to the window and the guy looks everything over and tells me the seller signed in the wrong spot! Then he asks if I have a bill of sale as that will work. I hand him the bill of sale and he tells me "This isn't a bill of sale".
                        He says it only says I put $500 down, and gave another $1,000 on delivery. I point out it says, "Paid in full." and he says that doesn't make it a bill of sale. I'm mystified, and pissed off, and he can't tell me why it's not a bill of sale to him?
                        So I called the previous owner and asked him to meet me Monday to sign the title change in the correct spot. So we're meeting Monday morning, and I'll have to do another 2 hr. + wait at DMV to finally get it done. That is if they don't give me more homework to do before they'll complete the transfer.
                        Did I mention I hate DMV or any government office?

Comment

Figured I better get to DMV and change the title for the '39 to my name. Just something I've been dreading as a usual trip is 2 hrs. and I hate going there. Should have been easy as they have an information desk when you enter and a number dispenser to get your place in line. My number was 288 and they were on 220!!
                          Went to the information desk and she looked over my paperwork and told me what line to go to. 2.5 hrs. later I get to the window and the guy looks everything over and tells me the seller signed in the wrong spot! Then he asks if I have a bill of sale as that will work. I hand him the bill of sale and he tells me "This isn't a bill of sale".
                          He says it only says I put $500 down, and gave another $1,000 on delivery. I point out it says, "Paid in full." and he says that doesn't make it a bill of sale. I'm mystified, and pissed off, and he can't tell me why it's not a bill of sale to him?
                          So I called the previous owner and asked him to meet me Monday to sign the title change in the correct spot. So we're meeting Monday morning, and I'll have to do another 2 hr. + wait at DMV to finally get it done. That is if they don't give me more homework to do before they'll complete the transfer.
                          Did I mention I hate DMV or any government office?
                          Washington isn't any better - except the title-change place is privately owned. The difference is there are some who do a good job and others who don't.... the closest one to me, because of it I have a direct number to the State (and I've called it while standing at the desk).... to a person who then called the person on the other side of the desk. The words I heard "yes" "yes he is" "yes I will" "no I won't"... and miraculously their problem resolved (they told me that time that the DOL bill of sale I used was the prior version and I needed to go get a new version signed)....
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 5, 2019, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Went to get "S"plate for the 57... Had a plate with the 59 metal sticker in it. Oregon pressed a bunch so 55 to 60-61 the plates got the metal sticker when car was new. So for "S" plate conversion it did not matter. But NO! Ended up getting the ugly yellow "S" instead of beautiful blue/yellow "Pacific Wonderland" plate I wanted...
                            That was 3 visits, calls by my son, printing off DMV site and still "I" was WRONG not them...

Comment

The one I go to here is privately owned and in a small town so not stupid busy. Evidently the owner wants you to come back as the staff is at least friendly even if they don't always have the answers. But they WILL call Raleigh and GET the answers then lay it out for you so you can get it right according to the rules (that they often apologize for). So, at least in Hampstead, not too bad.

Dan

Comment

In Michigan some offices you can "get in line online" I have not tried it yet but friends rave about it- it's basically like signing up for an appointment time, then you just walk in when they tell you you're close - and viola you're next in line.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X