No announcement yet.

1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derby shifters have a knob on a spring loaded pin to lock out Park..
    You could put your's to stop before N
    Derby shifters are to slap into R or 1-- thus Park lock out.
    Bad part is reacking to pull the knob to hit R or P

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Derby shifters have a knob on a spring loaded pin to lock out Park..
      You could put your's to stop before N
      Derby shifters are to slap into R or 1-- thus Park lock out.
      Bad part is reacking to pull the knob to hit R or P
      Thanks Bob! I'll have to see if I can find a picture of one of these to see how the mechanism works, and if I can incorporate it into my home built setup.

Comment

Found some pictures on Google, and they appear to be pretty simple. But they're also an above floor installation, and I'd like to keep this mostly below the floor so it's cleaner looking. Not sure how I'd incorporate a lockout I could work above floor with the shifter mostly below floor?
        Have to think on this some more.

Comment

Was offering food for thought.

Comment

Plenty of thinkers on this site.... Good and Bad ideas freely offered!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
              Plenty of thinkers on this site.... Good and Bad ideas freely offered!
              I'll take all the ideas anyone has! Sometimes I use them as is, and sometimes they spark a plan for a modified version of the idea. Ideas are all good!

Comment

Good and bad ideas are the same price on here. Mine, at least, are worth what you pay for them.

Dan

Comment

Ran some errands this morning, but when I got home my double D shaft was waiting on the porch, so I went to the shop to install it. Along with the shaft was also my water pump pulley! I had a brand new NAPA short water pump, so I ordered upper and lower pulleys for that pump. Did a test fit to ensure the pulleys matched up, and they look perfect. Need to grab some more sealant and install the water pump permanently.

I got a 36" DD shaft, and it was just enough to do the job! It went up inside the column about 4" and with two steering joints it was just what I needed. I had a 24" stick here, but knew it wouldn't reach. I thought I might use it also, but the 36" was all it took. I made an angle iron support and attached it to the motor mount to give this long shaft extra support. It's extremely solid now! Also installed the bolts in the floor plate around the column to get that secured solid too.

So the steering is 100% complete now, and I can move on to other things.

Comment

About a decade ago I was perusing Craigslist and saw this set of Comp Engineering ladder bars, plus a pair of coilover shocks, and a crossmember, all for $150. I didn't need them, but the price was too good to not go look. I offered $125 and got it all.

I decided since thye were already "in stock" here, I'd make use of them on this project. But I wanted longer ladder bars, plus the Comp design has a flaw. Since the tubes aren't parallel they get wider apart as you adjust the joint at the end. So I decided to lengthen them, and also correct the angles to make them easier to adjust.
                    I cut the last 2" off each end to use as a threaded weld bung. Then I checked my 1.25" DOM tubing and found it was a snug fit over the tubes! I cut 4 pieces the length I wanted, and drove them over the ladder bar tubes. I heated one tube with my torch and bent it slightly to adjust the angle. Then I bolted them to the axle brackets to keep their position, and welded the extensions to the ladder bars.

They measure about 42" long now, from the original 34". Not a big change, but as much as I wanted. I might add one more cross tube between the added tubes just to ensure they're ridgid, but I think they're good even if I don't.

Comment

(in references to adding the braces) Because if some is good more is better - and too much is just about right. I know 'cause I'm notorious for the same thing.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        (in references to adding the braces) Because if some is good more is better - and too much is just about right. I know 'cause I'm notorious for the same thing.

Dan
                        I think maybe another support at opposing angle to the existing one.

Comment

My project today was to get the gauge panel built. Nowhere near needing it, but I figured it would be a good change of venue today. I had a 1/4 sheet of 1/8" aluminum, so I marked it out to fit the 5 gauges inside the 4" x 12" dash opening. It was a tight squeeze, but made it in the area I had. I found studs on the backside of the dash, so drilled a pair of holes at each end of the panel, and opened up between them so I have a little adjustment to ensure it centers in the opening.

I got a set of white face gauges from Speedway. They had a similar panel, but wanted $130, and I figured I could make one and save a lot. Unfortunately my holesaws are not exactly gauge sizes! I only had to take about 1/16" off each side of the 2" gauge openings. But the speedo needed a 3 3/8" opening, and my kit has a 3" and a 3.5", so had to go 3" and spend an hour with a hand file opening it up to 3 3/8"! I marked the edge of the opening with a black felt marker so I could tell how much and where I was taking metal off. Helped keep it round, and avoid taking too much off.
                          I'm waiting for turn signal and high beam indicators, and they'll be added to the panel when they're here to double check hole size. Should be a way easier hole to make too!

Comment

Looks great! I'm lazy enough that I went to the good hardware store and bought gage-sized hole saws which did the job well. I DID have the cut out the rectangles for the Auber digital gages and the Monarch tach readout but that wasn't TOO had with the Fein saw (kind of like a cast saw).

Dan

Comment

Too late now, but I have a set of hole sanding drums........not too expensive and they work really well on aluminum. stick 'em in the drill press and go after it. For next time:

The Delta Sanding Drum Set (25-Pieces) lets your drill press do double duty as a spindle sander. Perfect for small and delicate sanding projects, these drums are compatible with any drill or drill press
                              Last edited by oletrux4evr; October 16, 2019, 07:39 PM.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                                Too late now, but I have a set of hole sanding drums........not too expensive and they work really well on aluminum. stick 'em in the drill press and go after it. For next time:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Sa...-940/203293688
                                I have a set here somewhere too. Couldn't find them, and didn't want to buy a 2nd set and then have two! I also have a hi speed grinder for porting work, but was afraid it might get away from me and make a mess on the face plate, so avoided using that.
                                Last edited by 1946Austin; October 17, 2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X