1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    PM me if you'd rather - but what did it cost to have a set of heads done?
    Well it was going to be $350, but that was before the heads were junk. Now it's going to be around $500 for him to supply the heads and rebuild them.

Comment

• not bad at all.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        not bad at all.
        Thanks. I hope it gets me a good running truck through the winter. Then next spring I can have a plan to build a short block and swap these heads to it, or do something more long term then. I still keep telling myself I'd like a LS or LQ motor swap, but then I'd be lost if it gave me problems with parts I'm unfamiliar with?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

Thanks. I hope it gets me a good running truck through the winter. Then next spring I can have a plan to build a short block and swap these heads to it, or do something more long term then. I still keep telling myself I'd like a LS or LQ motor swap, but then I'd be lost if it gave me problems with parts I'm unfamiliar with?
          in the end of the day, they're all simply air pumps - once you know how they made it run old-school, new school is quite a bit easier to tune. And with that said, you can put a carb on an LS. Personally, I'd diesel a truck I use for towing. Much as the world seems to hate 6.2 and 6.5 diesels - they literally are a one-wire install and they double your mpg, not just that but I know a thing or two about them ;)

motor mounts, bellhousing, exhaust are all the same as truck SBC's... just take the ignition wire and run it to the pump....
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 26, 2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Around here with your heads and no extras it is easily a $500 head refresh...
            You got a good deal

Then on ls motors... Derby guys are starting to use them in their cars but they convert to distributor and carbs as the stock timing stuff is up front and vulerable.. Some just change cams, add carb and a distributor and have pretty good power.

Comment

• I never thought about a diesel, but I don't use the old Burb as a tow rig, except on very rare occasion. But I wont rule that out either.
              I did look at an LS carb and distributor swap, and that idea is very appealing to me. I know they don't get the gas mileage the ECU controlled engines get, but they do still have long life and reliability. It adds some to the engine swap, but is usually cancelled out by not needing an in tank electric fuel pump, and return line, etc. I think an LS with carb and distributor is a good idea.

My machine shop let me down. They told me Tuesday they'd knock the heads out in a couple days. I didn't bug them because the weather looked good, and I can wait. But Friday when he called to tell me the heads were cracked I was a little perturbed they were just getting to them. Then Sat. I called just to check on how things were going, because he said they'd stay on them and get them done Sat. He told me they'd be done by 3:00 p.m., but at 4:15 he called to say they weren't done yet, but will stay until they are. Never heard from them again.
              So I assume it will (hopefully) be Monday before I get the heads now. And hope this stretch of decent dry weather will hold until I can get the SBC back together. In the meantime I'll do my homework and spend some time trying to investigate possible engine swaps for later.

Comment

• It's supposed to be a glorious week - as far as weather is concerned - cold for certain but sunny.... since I look awesome in wool, the world wins by not seeing me in shorts...

Comment

• Was heavy frost this am, supposed to be tonite/tmrw. Guess my apples froze.
                  Supposed to be nice here too..
                  Oughta get it done before Thursday.

Comment

• Yes, it's forecast to be cold, but dry here. We had rain yesterday, which wasn't forecast, so I don't hold a lot of faith in the weather guessers.

But since I can't do anything else to the truck right now, I finally got some time out on the '39. I removed the leaf springs from their mounts in front and drove out the nylon bushings. Replaced all of them with oilite bushings to make them last longer. While I had them apart I painted the parts so they wont need to be apart again later.
                    After that I dug the ladder bars out and added the extra support tube to both. Then I built the missing safety straps and painted them up too.

I welded up the extra tube and gave them a coat of black engine enamel. Will give them anther shot later as I'm sure they'll get banged up a little during install. I opened up the axle brackets from 3" to 3.25" for the large 8.8" Ford tubes.

I'll need to build a front crossmember to attach them to, and incorporate a driveline loop into the crossmember. I'll use my 1.25" DOM tubing for that since I've got plenty leftover.

Comment

• Holy cow! The forecast for this coming week is dry, but very cold! Supposed to be mid 20's at night and highs in the high 40's. I guess it could be worse, but my old bones don't like the cold much!

Comment

Holy cow! The forecast for this coming week is dry, but very cold! Supposed to be mid 20's at night and highs in the high 40's. I guess it could be worse, but my old bones don't like the cold much!
                        Why we live here. Highs in the upper 70's all week last time I looked (though we might start getting long-overdue Fall rains).

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Why we live here. Highs in the upper 70's all week last time I looked (though we might start getting long-overdue Fall rains).

Dan
                          Of course this is a bit abnormal for us this time of year. Usually warmer, but also rainy in late October and November. But since I'll be assembling the truck motor tomorrow, they've added the bonus of winds around 40-60 mph along with the cold temps! That should test my resolve to get it together!

Comment

• We missed Fall again this year too.........
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Of course this is a bit abnormal for us this time of year. Usually warmer, but also rainy in late October and November. But since I'll be assembling the truck motor tomorrow, they've added the bonus of winds around 40-60 mph along with the cold temps! That should test my resolve to get it together!
                              Cover your plumber's crack and you will be ok...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                                Cover your plumber's crack and you will be ok...
                                The winds hit today, and it looks like I'll need a tether on my tools too if I lay them down! But since they're STILL NOT DONE WITH MY HEADS, I guess I wont need to worry about working outside today. I think maybe they're casting new cores for me, and it's taking some time to machine all the surfaces.

Comment

Working...
                                X